Author Topic: Piece Of Jesus' Cross Found?  (Read 836 times)

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Piece Of Jesus' Cross Found?
« on: August 03, 2013, 09:06:05 AM »
Full title:
Piece Of Jesus' Cross Found? Archaeologists Discover 'Holy Thing' In Balatlar Church In Turkey

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/01/jesus-cross-found-archaeology_n_3691938.html

Found over on AF. Hilarious, IMO, but also quite sad to see how desperate theists get.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +31/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
Re: Piece Of Jesus' Cross Found?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 09:31:00 AM »
   I always find the comments more interesting than the story itself.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Online wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-1
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 10:46:20 AM »
It's going to take some proving, I think. How can it really be connected to an historical person when we have no idea what his DNA was like? It's the only safe way to make the connection, of course. I imagine they are going to say that this 'might have been' and then make the jump to 'was' without any shame at all.

Moreover, was Jesus killed on a cross anyway. Stauros, the word translated as cross doesn't actually mean cross. Rather it rather to a vertical stake onto which a person might be nailed and was commonly used by the Romans as well as actual crosses. Of course the texts using the word were written long after the supposed event but it would be fun if the vertical stake was the correct object and these researchers have found part of a cross, now wouldn't it?
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 01:46:48 PM »
Perhaps I missed something, but where does it explains why they think this is the very cross that Jesus was hung upon?  It sounds like a lot of wishful thinking.
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 05:55:42 PM »
Kind of like when they found his box, bike, and treehouse.  His stuff is just all over the place over there.  If they found some blood on this hunk of wood could they clone Jesus?  Might be the only way for a 2nd coming.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +66/-0
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 07:31:00 PM »
Didn't the catholic church sell off bits of the cross way back in its hey-day?
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 09:55:30 PM »
Wasn't it Luther who said there were enough relics of the cross strewn around Europe in his day to build a ship?  Or maybe it was Steven Wright?  Either way, this nonsense has been going on a long time
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 07:10:09 AM »
Didn't the catholic church sell off bits of the cross way back in its hey-day?

I think it was the other way around.  Back in medieval times, when the knights errant were cavorting in the "holy" lands, they would buy all manner of trinkets they were told were parts of the cross, jesus' crown of thorns, jesus' loin cloth, mary's toothbrush, etc.  They'd bring these alleged relics back to Europe as trophies.  I think at one point there were four thorny crowns in Europe.  If memory serves, last time I went to Paris, there were two, one in Notre Dame and one in another church. 
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 01:25:17 PM »
Someone get a torch, let's see if it burns.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +888/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 05:03:06 PM »
Reminds me of how Columbus' remains are in cathedrals in the Dominican Republic, Cuba and Spain. I am surprised Italy, New Jersey and Miami don't have his body, too.  &)
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Online Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-2
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 01:16:09 AM »
It's going to take some proving, I think. How can it really be connected to an historical person when we have no idea what his DNA was like? It's the only safe way to make the connection, of course.

Well, you could go to Catholic mass, grab a holy wafer and check the DNA of that vs this cross.
Of course, if the test fails, maybe you've only proven Catholicism wrong.  &)
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 02:52:23 AM »
^don't forget the wine (cough) I mean, the blood.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline viocjit

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 11:04:33 AM »
Seriously I think that this is not the true cross for the next reasons :

1.We haven't evidences about a historical Jesus.
2.If this man did really existed we don't know if he was crucified.
3.The real Jesus's cross don't have this geometrical form :

Because it was a vertical stake.

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +18/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 12:33:44 PM »
I bet he didn't have time to carve his initials like Daniel Boone.  His hands were tied.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2013, 01:16:26 PM »
I bet he didn't have time to carve his initials like Daniel Boone.  His hands were tied.
Why couldn't he use His xray vision?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +888/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2013, 04:05:09 PM »
Very mysterious how everything related to the life and death of Jesus has disappeared. It's almost as if he wasn't really that important a person, or did not exist at all..... :-\
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +93/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2013, 07:59:01 AM »
Well, you could go to Catholic mass, grab a holy wafer and check the DNA of that vs this cross.

How would you know you had the right jesus?

Following this calculation;

Quote from:
http://www.richardherring.com/warmingup/9/3/2011/index.html The average human male weighs 170lb at present, its a fair assumption this was a lot lower 2000 years ago as almost no one was able to eat sufficiently well to be over weight, also people were a lot smaller, probably by about a foot, assuming thats not far off but that the distribution of below, at and above weight individuals was the same as today then the average weight would be decreased by about 25% so... Hyperthetically Jesus weighed about 129lb (170 less 25%) the human body is approximately 60% water which is more or less the same as the wine you drink to represent the blood. So dry weight Jesus was about 52lb. The average loaf of bread is about 12oz and is split amongst a congregation of say 240 people so they each get a 20th of an ounce at each communion. 52lb is 832oz so they would need to attend 16,640 communions to 'eat' Christ - thats every Sunday for 333 years.

and given that there are 1,181,368,942 catholics in the world, 70995 jesus' are consumed every sunday...

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2013, 08:58:39 AM »
and given that there are 1,181,368,942 catholics in the world, 70995 jesus' are consumed every sunday...

That might be an overestimation :)  Anyone with an unconfessed mortal sin can't do holy communion.  So all the Catholics who have masturbated have to skip communion till they've been to confession  :police:

....... oh wait,  :o I've just looked it up ... if you are in the "habit" of masturbating it may be just a "venial sin" so okay to still have holy communion ... but if you're grown up, relaxed about life, well adjusted, and not being forced by habit to masturbate then it's definitely a "mortal sin" and confession will be required prior to partaking in the body of Christ.

Lucky "habit" for some hey?:  :laugh:

The Mitigating Circumstances concerning the Sin of Masturbation

A QUOTE from The Catholic Catechism:

Offenses against chastity 2352

"By masturbation is to be understood the deliberate stimulation of the genital organs in order to derive sexual pleasure. "Both the Magisterium of the Church, in the course of a constant tradition, and the moral sense of the faithful have been in no doubt and have firmly maintained that masturbation is an intrinsically and gravely disordered action." 137 "The deliberate use of the sexual faculty, for whatever reason, outside of marriage is essentially contrary to its purpose." For here sexual pleasure is sought outside of "the sexual relationship which is demanded by the moral order and in which the total meaning of mutual self-giving and human procreation in the context of true love is achieved."138

"To form an equitable judgment about the subjects' moral responsibility and to guide pastoral action, one must take into account the affective immaturity, force of acquired habit, conditions of anxiety or other psychological or social factors that lessen, if not even reduce to a minimum, moral culpability."

http://www.followthissite.com/list-of-sins.php

Actually going through the list of sins in that link it's hard to see how anybody can jump in the queue for the host unless the queue starts directly at the exit door of the confessional and they are blindfolded as they emerge  :blank:

More evidence that people are bullshiting themselves and each other with outward displays of religious observance.  Damn liars the lot of them   :(
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 09:01:33 AM by William »
Git mit uns

Offline G-Roll

• Graduate
  • Darwins +43/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2013, 10:11:50 AM »

How would you know you had the right jesus?

Following this calculation;

Quote from:
http://www.richardherring.com/warmingup/9/3/2011/index.html The average human male weighs 170lb at present, its a fair assumption this was a lot lower 2000 years ago as almost no one was able to eat sufficiently well to be over weight, also people were a lot smaller, probably by about a foot, assuming thats not far off but that the distribution of below, at and above weight individuals was the same as today then the average weight would be decreased by about 25% so... Hyperthetically Jesus weighed about 129lb (170 less 25%) the human body is approximately 60% water which is more or less the same as the wine you drink to represent the blood. So dry weight Jesus was about 52lb. The average loaf of bread is about 12oz and is split amongst a congregation of say 240 people so they each get a 20th of an ounce at each communion. 52lb is 832oz so they would need to attend 16,640 communions to 'eat' Christ - thats every Sunday for 333 years.

At what point am I able to +1 people. This post would get one from me  ;D