Author Topic: From petri dish to dish  (Read 583 times)

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +103/-2
  • WWGHA Member
From petri dish to dish
« on: August 05, 2013, 08:33:20 AM »
Interesting. Using stem cells to produce food which apparently tastes pretty good too.World's first lab-grown burger is eaten in London
Good for the environment as well...
An independent study found that lab-grown beef uses 45% less energy than the average global representative figure for farming cattle. It also produces 96% fewer greenhouse gas emissions and requires 99% less land.
Wonder when they'll be able to make lab-grown horse  ;)

Offline El Guapo

• Freshman
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Re: From petri dish to dish
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 09:24:49 AM »
That is awesome MrJason! 

It reminds me of "ChickieNobs" from the book Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood.  Which, if you're a fan of sci-fi dystopian books, is a TERRIFIC read!

In the book, ChickieNobs are a nightmarish headless chickens designed to extrude chicken parts for fast-food franchises.

(This is a passage from Oryx and Crake)
What they were looking at was a large bulblike object that seemed to be covered with stippled whitish-yellow skin. Out of it came twenty thick fleshy tubes, and at the end of each tube another bulb was growing.

"What the hell is it?" said Jimmy.
"Those are chickens," said Crake. "Chicken parts. Just the breasts, on this one. They've got ones that specialize in drumsticks too, twelve to a growth unit.
"But there aren't any heads..."
"That's the head in the middle," said the woman. "There's a mouth opening at the top, they dump nutrients in there. No eyes or beak or anything, they don't need those."

http://www.amazon.com/Oryx-Crake-Margaret-Atwood/dp/0385721676

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +819/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 09:29:52 AM »
Ah, apparently you haven't eaten at McDonalds, Mrjason. That ain't meat.  ;D

Here's a link since you forgot to include one:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23576143

It would be interesting to know how cheaply, both money-wise and environmentally, such meat can be made. I know it is supposed to be better for the environment, but I'd like to hear from third-parties about what the environmental costs are. Hidden costs are usually kept hidden. In the early years of solar panels, for instance, it took more electricity to make a solar panel than the panel could, in return, produce during its operational life. There was nothing environmentally friendly about that.

I'd probably eat it if it was any good. Of course I'd prefer to buy the kind grown only in organic petri dishes. And Will there be a free-lab variety?  ;D

I doubt vegetarians will eat it, but I could be wrong.
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 09:30:42 AM »
I wonder what it tastes like.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +103/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 09:51:51 AM »
Ah, apparently you haven't eaten at McDonalds, Mrjason. That ain't meat.  ;D

I read this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fast-Food-Nation-All-American-Doing/dp/0141006870 and stopped eating fast food unless too drunk to be aware that I was eating.
There's more beef in the shakes than in the burgers  :-\
It would be interesting to know how cheaply, both money-wise and environmentally, such meat can be made. I know it is supposed to be better for the environment, but I'd like to hear from third-parties about what the environmental costs are. Hidden costs are usually kept hidden. In the early years of solar panels, for instance, it took more electricity to make a solar panel than the panel could, in return, produce during its operational life. There was nothing environmentally friendly about that.

I'd probably eat it if it was any good. Of course I'd prefer to buy the kind grown only in organic petri dishes. And Will there be a free-lab variety?  ;D

I would imagine that at the moment it would be prohibitively expensive at the moment plus they have to get the original stem cells from somewhere.
So how much would it cost to refrigerate sufficient supplies of cell cultures to make the venture commercially viable? How much time and resource would need to go into making sure that end product wasn't contaminated, the Lab-burgers would still need to be transported to the end user with all associated costs and pollution etc.

Its a nice idea though :)

And Will there be a free-lab variety?  ;D

that variety is currently on the market[1] at the moment  ;)
I doubt vegetarians will eat it, but I could be wrong.
The sound bites on the topic seem to be conflicting

Synthetic meat could be a great moral advance. It won't be suitable for vegetarians because it still originates in meat by-products, but bearing in mind that millions of animals are slaughtered for food every day, it is a step forward to a less violent world

as opposed to

People who are vegetarian for moral reasons - the environment, the treatment of animals - have a moral obligation to eat this meat

So I guess they don't know either!
 1. literally

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +103/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 09:59:00 AM »

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +819/-6
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 11:29:35 AM »
I would imagine that at the moment it would be prohibitively expensive at the moment plus they have to get the original stem cells from somewhere.
So how much would it cost to refrigerate sufficient supplies of cell cultures to make the venture commercially viable? How much time and resource would need to go into making sure that end product wasn't contaminated, the Lab-burgers would still need to be transported to the end user with all associated costs and pollution etc.

Two things. Number 1. The stem cell problem has been solved. I'm sure this will help get the product to market. Because they can now get viable stem cells from urine  :P
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23576143

And Number 2.  I was reading an article lately that said that 70% of the food we consume in the US spends at least part of the time in refrigeration units. I know that there are mile long refrigerators that trains drive into to get loaded and unloaded. I don't think refrigeration will be an issue. And of course, there is the transportation thingy, though I'm guessing this stuff could be locally produced once the technology is perfected. Except for the part that Amazon wouldn't like that. They'll wanna mail it to you.

Speaking of associated pollution when shipping stuff. Did you know that the fifteen largest cargo ships (and there are many more than fifteen) produce more air pollution than all the cars on the planet. Sadly nobody considers that a problem because that's how we get our flat screen TV's.

In the meantime, I could use an artificially fresh burger about now.

Edit: Here is the link the the refrigeration article I got the 70% figure from:
http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/07/a-journey-into-our-food-systems-refrigerated-warehouse-archipelago/277790/
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 12:15:57 PM by ParkingPlaces »

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 12:55:08 PM »
What will we do without cows farting in fields and aliens will be pissed off if they can't dissect cows and make us wonder what happened.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline G-Roll

• Graduate
  • Darwins +50/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 01:19:34 PM »

Lol most of the ingredients found in food today are made in a laboratory anyway. So making the whole thing in a lab seems to be a logical step. I would suppose that a stem cell burger would be healthier than a Burger King made one due to a lack of hormones and cow roids. Then the adding of preservatives and dyes and ect... But Im sure major corporations will get to throw in all their chemicals and preservatives and screw up the whole thing anyways.
Where the food comes from probably won't make it any healthier so long as there is money to be made off of it and crap to replace the actual food bits to make it cheaper. Just like a traditional cow starts off as real food then is transformed into something else.

I don’t know how factually legit the above video is but it is mainly just an echo of information that can be found in factually legit books and websites.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +819/-6
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 02:10:01 PM »
What will we do without cows farting in fields and aliens will be pissed off if they can't dissect cows and make us wonder what happened.

Yea if we don't have cows, the aliens that have been landing and cutting them up will be pissed. We should rethink this whole thing.

I'm serious!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cattle_mutilation

(Well, not really, but I doubt this is real, because all the aliens I've met were vegetarians.  ;D)

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 08:51:19 PM »
I'm waiting for the marriage of two very new technologies and the start-up companies that will (I think) inevitably surface.  I'm predicting the combination of this new technology with organic 3D printers.  Make this into a new appliance just like the oven or microwave.  For good measure combine it with Cloud networking for the importation of recipes.
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 08:56:15 PM »
I'm waiting for burgers made from human stem cells  :blank:  I want to find out if tastes like pork   ;)
Git mit uns

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 09:27:10 PM »
I'm predicting the combination of this new technology with organic 3D printers.

Good prediction  ;D

http://gigaom.com/2012/08/16/cue-the-protein-printer-peter-thiel-invests-in-artificial-meat/

Not at all far fetched because there are already some successes with bioprinters for replacement human organs:
Functional three-dimensional human liver tissue created with 3D bio-printer
http://www.gizmag.com/bioprinted-3d-human-livers/27243/
Git mit uns

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 11:29:58 PM »
Star Trek replicators in my lifetime? Yes please!!
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +941/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 11:56:52 PM »
I'm waiting for burgers made from human stem cells  :blank:  I want to find out if tastes like pork   ;)
Long pig. But only cowards will taste like chicken. (Ducks.)

Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +941/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2013, 11:59:14 PM »
Star Trek replicators in my lifetime? Yes please!!

Dammit, Jim, since we won't be getting those transporters any time soon, we might as well be able to order up some 3-D burgers and fries made out of fish urine, monkey earwax and slime mold. Ain't science wonderful! :P
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Bereft_of_Faith

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +39/-2
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2013, 12:18:47 AM »