Author Topic: Teleportation - how much time have you got?  (Read 552 times)

Online Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +543/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
Teleportation - how much time have you got?
« on: August 02, 2013, 05:57:03 PM »
This is a bit disappointing
The trouble with teleportation: http://www.nbcnews.com/science/trouble-teleportation-it-could-take-quadrillions-years-6C10817487
Alan Boyle, Science Editor NBC News

NBC News
Matter teleportation is a real toughie, but even transmitting the information for reconstructing one human body (and brain state) would take longer than the age of the universe, researchers report.
Bad news, "Star Trek" fans: Even if you found a way to teleport a human being, sending the required data would take longer than the age of the universe. At least that's what fourth-year physics students from the University of Leicester concluded in the latest of a series of studies on way-out topics.

Teleportation transmission rates get the technical treatment in the Journal of Physics Special Topics, an online publication created by the British university to answer burning questions on the fringes of science, such as: Could Batman really use a cape to fly? What would Han Solo see when he made the jump to hyperspace?
Links to the .pdf scientific paper on the site.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Online rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
Re: Teleportation - how much time have you got?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 06:40:42 PM »
I just saw this on Yahoo.  Warning: the video automatically plays.
http://screen.yahoo.com/teleportation-ever-possible-discovery-news-200000826.html
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 04:31:36 PM »
Maybe the information can be compressed somehow? Or disregarded? It's not like one electron in one position or a very similar one would make much of a difference, would it? On a related note, how do they account for the uncertainty principle? How would you transmit information you can't access?
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +292/-32
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 05:16:55 PM »
... It's not like one electron in one position or a very similar one would make much of a difference, would it? ...

Just one?  No.  But one electron wouldn't be a large % of the information in question.  Let's not get into compression algorithms, because they would take at least as long to compress the data as it would take to send the data in the first place.  So, how many particles' data would you cut out?  1%?  That wouldn't help much.  5%?  Now you've gotten into really dangerous territory for the person being transported.  90%?  Not much left to work with at that point.
I have not encountered any mechanical malfunctioning in my spirit.  It works every single time I need it to.

Offline Bereft_of_Faith

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +39/-2
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 11:24:36 PM »
Maybe the information can be compressed somehow? Or disregarded? It's not like one electron in one position or a very similar one would make much of a difference, would it? On a related note, how do they account for the uncertainty principle? [snipped for fun]

A Heisenberg Compensator.

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +925/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 06:56:02 PM »
Bummer. I was all packed. :(
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline epidemic

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +61/-14
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 02:31:48 PM »
Some time ago I was told that if you were teleported and for some reason it did work you would be killed.  In essence ripping you body apart into energy would kill you.  A new you could be constructed but it would not be a continuous you  it would be another you.

Would you teleport if you would be killed and  a new you was created I don't think I would ?

PS as far as transmitting the information taking to long???  How much bandwidth can one subspace channel hold.  I thought it was at least 3,000 terabytes per second.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 02:33:22 PM by epidemic »

Online jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +584/-18
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 03:00:34 PM »
So, let's just use tribbles in teleportation experiments.  Then we could write a book about it; "The Trouble With Teleporting Tribbles".

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +791/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 03:14:06 PM »
Some time ago I was told that if you were teleported and for some reason it did work you would be killed.  In essence ripping you body apart into energy would kill you.  A new you could be constructed but it would not be a continuous you  it would be another you.

Would you teleport if you would be killed and  a new you was created I don't think I would ?

Keeping in mind that you have to be ripped asunder, atom by atom, by a machine running Windows 8 to get moved in the first place, methinks you're dead already.

But you might end up being a pretty good looking icon.  ;D
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 04:03:53 PM »
Bet your luggage still gets lost. ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!