Author Topic: Nursing homes, dementia, and consential sex  (Read 715 times)

Offline shnozzola

Nursing homes, dementia, and consential sex
« on: August 01, 2013, 06:19:51 PM »
A nursing home made news when a lawsuit by the family of a resident (with dementia) having sex made the news, resulting in the firing of some nursing home staff.

Do elderly patients with dementia have the mental capacity to consent to sex? When does consensual sex turn into the abuse of someone who's not mentally competent? And how should elderly care facilities deal with those questions?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=204580868

But, as reported in a recent Bloomberg series (article list below), the Hebrew Home is different. The nursing facility actively encourages and supports sex and intimacy among its residents — including those with dementia.

http://hereandnow.wbur.org/2013/08/01/nursing-home-sex

The same article goes on to say that former Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Conner has brought the issue to more prominence by forgiving her husband with dementia, discovered to be having sex with a woman in the nursing home he is now a resident of.

Complicated issue that people need to face.
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
Re: Nursing homes, dementia, and consential sex
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 07:34:49 AM »
The same article goes on to say that former Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Conner has brought the issue to more prominence by forgiving her husband with dementia, discovered to be having sex with a woman in the nursing home he is now a resident of.

I heard an interview with Justice O'Connor a couple of years ago in which she basically accepted the fact that her husband didn't know who she was and was having sex with other patients. She seemed rather pragmatic about it.

If they don't spread disease and can't impregnate, perhaps it will keep them calm. Maybe it's just what the doctor ordered, so to speak.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.