Author Topic: 9/11 Conspiracy Theories  (Read 143 times)

Offline frank callaway

• Graduate
  • Darwins +8/-33
  • it's a bird, it's a shark... you're fucked
9/11 Conspiracy Theories
« on: December 02, 2014, 11:42:32 AM »
there is definitely a link between BDS and those who believe 911 was an inside job... interesting, after all these years, people still suffer from the syndrome.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/02/donte-stallworth-911-conspiracy_n_6178556.html

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Bush%20Derangement%20Syndrome
When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him.

-Jonathan Swift

Online jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +599/-19
  • WWGHA Member
Re: 9/11 Conspiracy Theories
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 11:48:55 AM »
Just as there's (presumably) a link between what I'm calling "Obama Derangement Syndrome" and those who believe Obama isn't a natural-born citizen.

There is undoubtedly a significant percentage of people who are credulous enough to buy into a conspiracy theory.  It stands to reason that such people would get more easily worked-up over a politician or some other individual or agency in the government.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 12:49:17 PM »
^usually religious, or easily influenced...like the religious. Oh, and racists. And people who watch FAUX NOISE.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Online jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +599/-19
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 01:01:48 PM »
And people who send money to exiled Nigerian princes.  Can't forget them.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 01:30:09 PM »

Can't believe people fall for that.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 03:03:10 PM »
People still think the Kennedy assassination and Pearl Harbor are conspiracies as well.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +819/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 03:11:16 PM »

Can't believe people fall for that.

-Nam

Interestingly, the reason the Nigerian scam letters sound like scam letters is precisely to weed out people smart enough to see that it is a scam. So the people that do respond are pretty much guaranteed to be absolute idiots, and much more likely to send money. The scammers know that they would be wasting their time editing the letters for spelling, grammar, etc.

My theory on conspiracy theories is that there are people who want simple answers whenever possible, and when simple isn't available, they make it up. I'm not saying that there has never been a conspiracy anywhere in the world ever, but it gets very hard to weed out the real stuff from the fake when we have to put up with people who think that jet contrails are being used to drug us or introduce nanotechnology robots in to our brains, people who think the moon landings were fake, people who think Obama isn't a citizen. All very strange.

I myself will always wonder how such a big airplane disappeared in to such a small hole in Shanksville, PA, but I have to keep in mind that my imagination doesn't necessarily match reality enough for me to rely on it. However, I would love to see someone test crash a surplus aircraft the same way, on video, so that I could watch it disintegrate the way they say the Shanksville plane did. That would really, really help.

Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 04:57:37 PM »
People who think Obama was born in the US are usually racists.

-Nam

Offline Timo

• Reader
  • Darwins +115/-2
  • You know
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 11:07:12 PM »
Frank, did you read the article before you posted it? If so, can you explain to me what the author's story has to do with "Bush derangement syndrome"?
Nah son...

Offline frank callaway

• Graduate
  • Darwins +8/-33
  • it's a bird, it's a shark... you're fucked
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 05:41:30 PM »
Frank, did you read the article before you posted it? If so, can you explain to me what the author's story has to do with "Bush derangement syndrome"?

"The young filmmaker whose video helped start me down this path has since gone through his own evolution. In an interview earlier this year, Dylan Avery, director of "Loose Change," was asked whether he really thought the Bush administration planned the 9/11 attacks. "In 2005 or 2006, if you asked if the Bush administration planned the attacks, I would have said, ‘F**k yeah,'" he said."

now granted, he may not believe that bushdidit today... but there's probably a little BDS hanging in his mind somewhere...
When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him.

-Jonathan Swift

Offline Timo

• Reader
  • Darwins +115/-2
  • You know
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 10:13:46 PM »
I don't think it has much to do with Bush, honestly.

The reason I asked if you read the article was because the sorts of conspiracy theorists the article is describing don't usually appear to be responding to any particular presidential administration when they're spinning out their theories. "Loose Change" definitely puts forward a deranged idea about the Bush Administration. But I don't think it makes much sense to call it Bush Derangement Syndrome given that there is little if any reason to believe that the sorts of people that make these sorts of films wouldn't have made them had Al Gore been president during the attack. After all, it was argued that President Clinton was going to take everyone's guns away and throw dissenters into FEMA Camps. There are people saying the same thing about President Obama. Just look at someone like Alex Jones. He didn't start saying crazy things about the government when Bush took office and he didn't stop when he left. There's something else going on.

Furthermore, what undergirds a lot of these conspiracy theories is a belief in the New World Order or Illuminati, which as the author notes goes back to anti-Semetic propaganda of the 19th century. In that scheme, presidents and political parties function as puppets for some shadowy masters. In other words, it's crazy. But it's not necessarily partisan. Sometimes it takes on a weird religious flavor, with the Illuminati being literally Satanic and infusing popular culture with Satanic imagery. Sometimes it's more political, but even then it usually leans right in its way, with the focus being on protecting an absolutist reading of the 2nd Amendment.

I mean, there are definitely deranged and irrational responses to presidents but I don't think 9/11 trutherism really fits well with that narrative. In other words, I think this is just one more thing that Charles Krautheimer is wrong about.
Nah son...