Author Topic: internet savvy folks, need advice  (Read 70 times)

Online eh!

• Reader
  • Darwins +96/-39
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
internet savvy folks, need advice
« on: December 03, 2014, 02:16:43 PM »
on my things to do before I die list I have decided to publish on youtube a satirical attack on quantum woo.

I will draw heavily upon the movie "what the bleep do we know" and go for guys like gothswami, chopra etc.

I am not a publisher or anything and don't want to be sued.

how do I learn about the laws of cutting and editing the work of commercial publishers to protect myself?
Signature goes here...

Offline Mooby

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-24
  • So it goes.
    • Is God Imaginary?
Re: internet savvy folks, need advice
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 08:09:57 PM »
Since YouTube is a US based site, you'll need to get an understanding of US copyright law.  http://copyright.gov/ is the main site for that.

You will definitely want to read up on fair use and the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, as well as YouTube's copyright page.

And, of course, if you are involving any works from places outside the US and/or are located outside the US, it would make sense to check into those things for the applicable countries.
"I'm doing science and I'm still alive."--J.C.

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +111/-12
  • Why is it so difficult to say you don't know?
    • Foxy Freedom on Doctor Who
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 08:26:11 PM »
You can talk about it as much as you like, if you want to use excepts they are limited. For music it is only about two bars you can edit, so not much.

You can have the option of using the material and letting the owner commercialize your video, which means they will be paid for views. You tube will inform them you have used the material by automatching the data, and the owner will take over the commercialization. The owners don't have to take over, they can choose not to.

If the owner does not like what you are doing you might be asked to remove it, but if it is your own creation even if based on something else they cannot.

Recently satire has been given some original rights protection so no one can touch you. It depends exactly how you are going to do it. (Personally I hate so much being given away as free use in satire, because religious nuts who make those illuminati videos are taking advantage of it, to use more material than could before.)

Reading through your post again, your biggest problem will be if you attack an individual person by name. If the person is a theist, they could be a real xxxx.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 08:42:42 PM by Foxy Freedom »
The Foxy Freedom antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +51/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 08:50:09 PM »
What would Richard Stallman do?!?
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +131/-7
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 09:48:53 PM »
on my things to do before I die list I have decided to publish on youtube a satirical attack on quantum woo.

I will draw heavily upon the movie "what the bleep do we know" and go for guys like gothswami, chopra etc.

I am not a publisher or anything and don't want to be sued.

how do I learn about the laws of cutting and editing the work of commercial publishers to protect myself?

In the US under Fair Use you can include various portions of material under copyright without prior permission. The amount you can include varies with the purpose of your work. Famously, Weird Al Yankovic has created parodies of numerous songs/videos and he was not required to get permission to create these parodies of copyrighted material. However, also famously Weird Al seeks permission from the artists before he creates and publishes his parodies. The most famous refusals to Weird Al parodies have come from Prince, but Prince is consistently a bit of a dick.

When used in reporting, discussion or commentary, the amount of Fair Use is only the amount required to report, to make your commentary or to promote discussion. There is not a particular time limit for this but the guideline that most media people follow is about 30 seconds for a video production of some length like a TV show, movie or documentary (also the average length of a TV commercial which itself can often be used in its entirety), and about 8-10 seconds for a pop song, for example (to sing a verse or a chorus). The amount of Fair Use is only the amount to make a point in your work, not to become the whole point of your work. Since a parody requires the whole work, the whole work is allowed.

Nevertheless, your work would be more novel and viral-worthy if it consists of your own creation. The more original your work, the more likely it is to get better airplay. Even when using copyrighted material via Fair Use you will encounter a problem, especially with YouTube, where the copyright owners electronically patrol submissions and issue take-down notices to YouTube that you are using their copyrighted material. This is done by copyright holders crawling YouTube and comparing bits to determine if someone is uploading unowned material. The take-down notices are done by computers, not humans, so there is no review by a human to determine if Fair Use is occurring. The copyright holders have essentially nullified Fair Use on YouTube by automated take-downs. How/why some YouTubers can upload copyrighted material without a take-down is beyond me as there are entire movies and seasons of TV shows available. Either they have managed to change a sufficient number of bits to confuse the crawlers or some copyright holders simply do not care. Some YouTubers will speed up a song slightly to change the bits and avoid detection by the crawlers.

I had 3 videos of a wedding reception uploaded to YT and got a notice from YT that the music in the background was a copyright violation so YT removed the entire audio tracks of my video submissions of a wedding reception. Certainly the point of the clips was not to use copyrighted material (people were dancing and the quality of that audio was rather awful considering the poor sound quality of the hall), but fine, okay, whatever ...  Some comical things have happened where a copyright holder such as NBC has ordered a take-down of its own material because someone forgot to ignore crawling a particular YT channel, such as among its various own YT channels.  I think The Today Show was in violation of its own copyrights for nearly a week before somebody at NBC noticed the error. Worse, for some really bizarre reason, companies with commercials will issue take-down notices just because their commercials have been played as part of a YT stream. What is the point of doing something like that? The more your commercial is played, the better. Some people just don't fucking get the internet.

I have no idea what the local/international laws/regulations are if you are uploading such material either to a different YT domain or uploading from outside the US to a US domain. However, the likelihood of you getting sued/arrested for such a thing is rather low. The crawlers will just shut it down and then no longer give a damn because your stuff is off the air. You could have your Google account suspended or deleted. Woo-hoo!

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.