Author Topic: Character limit  (Read 660 times)

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Character limit
« on: July 26, 2013, 01:54:02 PM »
What's the character limit in regular messages, personal messages, thread titles, poll titles and poll answers?
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +654/-28
  • Karma mooch
Re: Character limit
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 03:18:48 PM »
30,000 characters in the standard post.  The rest, I could not find answers for.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 03:19:31 PM »
Thanks for the info, screwtape.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 04:21:51 PM »
I copy/pasted the chapter I'm working on several times onto the PM box thingy (the one where you type your message) and there does not appear to be a limit. Just letting you know.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
This was as much as I could get into the title:

"let us find out what the character limit in this title is by me continuously unt"

;)

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline duane

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 11:31:24 PM »
Given that its a simple machine forum install, the answers would be in the code for it... so I looked there.

Assuming they are using MYSQL as the database and the admin pane allows it:

Looking at the source code for the forum, the posting limits for both normal messages and personal messages is 64 Kilobytes (64*1024*1024) or 67,108,864 characters.

The "subject" or "thread title" size limit on such messages is only 255 characters max, btw.

For polls, the max question or choice size is also 255 characters, for both the poll answers you can pick and the initial poll question you can ask.

EDIT: I cant seem to start new threads at all on the forum, do the admins know that?  Is this everybody with a new account or just me?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 11:41:34 PM by duane »

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +747/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 11:49:21 PM »
Given that its a simple machine forum install, the answers would be in the code for it... so I looked there.

Assuming they are using MYSQL as the database and the admin pane allows it:

Looking at the source code for the forum, the posting limits for both normal messages and personal messages is 64 Kilobytes (64*1024*1024) or 67,108,864 characters.

The "subject" or "thread title" size limit on such messages is only 255 characters max, btw.

For polls, the max question or choice size is also 255 characters, for both the poll answers you can pick and the initial poll question you can ask.

EDIT: I cant seem to start new threads at all on the forum, do the admins know that?  Is this everybody with a new account or just me?

duane

Welcome. Thanks for the info. You have to have responded to a set number of threads (I forget if it is five or ten, or it could be higher) before you can start a thread of your own. I think this is to keep spammers to a minimum.

I'll let one of the admins respond to your suggestion. I do know that the site owner is absent and has no interest in anything that goes on here, and I've no idea how much control over settings the administrators have. I know their hands are tied in a lot of ways.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline duane

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 11:55:46 PM »
Thank you for the information, but its a little unclear that this restriction exists and I couldn't find any data on it, so it lead me to think something was broken, or worse, that I had done something wrong.

Either way, the above posted limits on things should suffice.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 07:27:06 AM »
Hey, Duane might be able to help us out with our site situations from time to time.  Lord knows we need it. ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 07:32:44 AM »
Thank you for the information, but its a little unclear that this restriction exists and I couldn't find any data on it, so it lead me to think something was broken, or worse, that I had done something wrong.

You mean like the rules you agreed to when registering? The rules you clearly didn't read, if I might add.
Anyway, the limit is three posts.
We choose our own gods.

Offline duane

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 10:11:01 PM »
Hey, Duane might be able to help us out with our site situations from time to time.  Lord knows we need it. ;)

Lord who? I didnt know we had Royalty on the forum.  Did Dawkins get Knighted already? ;)

I work in software as my primary trade; Looking up the numbers was an easy task.  PM me with the things you need help with and if I can help (or even if I cant) I will let you know.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 09:13:10 PM »
I am Lord Nam. All shall bow before me in many gaseous manners. I have spoken!

(cough--phew!--gag)

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline duane

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 10:30:22 PM »
I just realized I posted the numbers for Megabytes, not Kilobytes.. I am so ashamed and my only excuse is it was late and I was really tired.

In this case its 65,536 bytes, not 67,108,864 bytes.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 01:55:51 AM »
Byte here, byte there. As long as it tastes good -- who cares?

;)

-Nam