Author Topic: Bothered by response.  (Read 574 times)

Offline thunderridge

• Graduate
  • Darwins +16/-0
Bothered by response.
« on: July 26, 2013, 12:00:50 PM »
The response I got from Jessica (a former neighbor) gave me a weird feeling in my gut. Am I wrong to challenge people on FB concerning their beliefs? I do not respond to many xian posts, but after a while I cannot hold back.

Me: God, can I ask You a question?

God: Sure

Me: Promise You won't get mad

God: I promise

Me: Why did You let so much stuff happen to me today?

God: What do u mean?

Me: Well, I woke up late

God: Yes

Me: My car took forever to start

God: Okay

Me: at lunch they made my sandwich wrong & I had to wait

God: Huummm

Me: On the way home, my phone went DEAD, just as I picked up a call

God: All right

Me: And on top of it all off, when I got home ~I just want to soak my feet in my new foot massager & relax. BUT it wouldn't work!!! Nothing went right today! Why did You do that?

God: Let me see, the death angel was at your bed this morning & I had to send one of My Angels to battle him for your life. I let you sleep through that

Me (humbled): OH

GOD: I didn't let your car start because there was a drunk driver on your route that would have hit you if you were on the road.

Me: (ashamed)

God: The first person who made your sandwich today was sick & I didn't want you to catch what they have, I knew you couldn't afford to miss work.

Me (embarrassed):Okay

God: Your phone went dead because the person that was calling was going to give false witness about what you said on that call, I didn't even let you talk to them so you would be covered.

Me (softly): I see God

God: Oh and that foot massager, it had a shortage that was going to throw out all of the power in your house tonight. I didn't think you wanted to be in the dark.

Me: I'm Sorry God

God: Don't be sorry, just learn to Trust Me.... in All things , the Good & the bad.

Me: I will trust You.

God: And don't doubt that My plan for your day is Always Better than your plan.

Me: I won't God. And let me just tell you God, Thank You for Everything today.

God: You're welcome child. It was just another day being your God and I Love looking after My Children...

REPOST if you Believe in HIM
Worth posting.
Like the page L M A O please
1Like ·  · Unfollow Post · Share
3 people like this.

Jeff  Why is it that God only does stuff that cannot be confirmed? Why won't God heal amputees?
23 hours ago · Like

Jessica  Hey Jeff Albright I will not cast pearls in front of swine. Therefore, my religion is not up for your debate. I have respected the fact that you choose not believe as I do. So do not comment on my Christian posts, thanks. I appreciate it.
9 hours ago via mobile · Like

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Bothered by response.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 12:19:36 PM »
I would say that it depends on your relationship with her. As is, she is on your FB and thus anything she posts is subject to you seeing it, but on another note it may be intended for a specific audience. I personally would respect her wishes since she voiced them, but others who do not mind engaging, I would engage.

I usually only engage when a post is attacking an atheist position or spreading false info.

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 12:19:36 PM »
I never post on my friends xian FB posts, as I know it'd lead to exactly where you find yourself. Rather, I post atheist or science-based posts regularly, and more frequently as religious holidays approach and the sheer number of religious shit expands. Then, if one of the religiots[1] responds on mine, I consider them free game for dismantling.
 1. yay, I learned a new word!
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 12:22:20 PM »
I would engage her, but only if you're sure it won't affect your life negatively.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 12:25:05 PM by One Above All »
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline thunderridge

• Graduate
  • Darwins +16/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 12:24:36 PM »
Thanks guys, I will heed your suggestions. 

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +557/-17
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 12:43:43 PM »
Wow.  God comes up with contrived explanations for bad things (a "death angel"?), and the person swallows it hook, line, and sinker.

Whether and how you respond should depend on whether you want to maintain a good relationship with this person, or for that matter if you want to maintain a relationship at all.

Personally, I would simply tell them, "I have no interest in reading this sort of contrived nonsense.  I cannot stop you from spreading it, but I am not interested in reading it," and then unfriend them so you no longer have to.  She was polite in asking you not to comment - but you do not need a friend who tells you essentially that you're not welcome to respond to certain of her comments.

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +31/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 12:47:03 PM »
What is this facebook thing I keep hearing about?
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 12:54:40 PM »
Good question and even better advice...  I will go one extra step though:

Where I work, there is a chaplain who is essentially "non-denominational" in function and isn't paid anything by my employer.  He is a baptist minister and once a month sends out his chaplain's letter.  He's been here about 6 months and replaced a long-serving chaplain who rarely darkened the door of the place. 

His monthly letters started out pretty generic but this month really loaded up on religious-jeezus stuff.  Lines like, "If there is a god, where is he?"; "God is with us at all times and in every circumstance"; "There is but one truth and that is that god is with us"; "God desperately wants a relationship with you, his creation."

The last line of letter said "I would welcome hearing from you."

So, do I take him up on it?  I don't want to be mean or sound like a dick, but I'd love to challenge his two page religious propaganda letter with some very basic questions. I'm not mad and I'm not even interested in having him tossed out of the building.  I'd just like to hear what he has to say

If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 12:56:56 PM »
To be honest, that post would piss me off (and I think it has, I'm already pissed off, so I can't tell ;)).

It's idiotic, finding it idiotic has nothing to do with their faith. I have Christian friends on my Facebook mention God without being stupid. This is just regular bullshit that sounds deep and meaningful and is a wonderful representation of God, but actually poses no real relevence and is just meaningless drivel, but reminds me of the Bill Bailey gag about the lyric, "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H6nLlujtFQ

You have a bad day at work, but it's all a part of God's plan. I would be interested in knowing God's plan for my day at work. I'm not going to be some whiny git about have a bad day, but I don't get how bombarding me with call after call with people talking down to me, getting arsey with me and generally being arseholes through out the day. Sure somebody would try to argue it could be to teach me a lesson, to appreciate something, but it hasn't taught me anything I don't know nor to appreciate something I don't already appreciate. It just means I walk out of work with a bad mood.

I think you rightly point out the flaw in all this. What about those with genuine problems, frankly, if God was real, I wouldn't expect him to stop me from having a bad day at work, I mean I am a reasonable human being - not like some people I have to deal with who would sit there and argue with God because their bath was ever so slightly too hot - I would tend to expect action where there's genuinely problems. See the issue is people try to use the mundane to make an anecdote about God, yet when it comes to something greater, they don't wanna know, because it challenges their faith.

But when people are defensive about faith or are offended by challenges to faith, to me all that says is their faith is weak and gives their stance very little credibility. A stronger Christian would have given a much better response than, "go away, I don't bug you". Granted I don't go out actively challenging Christians, but they can't expect me to sit there when they're preaching. Seriously, I post very little in the world of atheism on my Facebook and even when I do, I don't have a problem with people commenting or talking about it. That's because my position isn't so weak that I'm unwilling to talk critically about it.

If somebody actually made a bigoted remark, that would be different. "You atheists are going to hell to suffer for an eternity because you hate baby Jesus and I will be in heaven laughing at you for your ignorance to the true word of God" then I would have an obvious problem. Likely, if you said, "haha, that's a load of wank, serious bullshit there love" in response to the Facebook message in the OP. Granted I was thinking that when reading it, but like most, I have social skills.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 01:08:35 PM »

So, do I take him up on it?  I don't want to be mean or sound like a dick, but I'd love to challenge his two page religious propaganda letter with some very basic questions. I'm not mad and I'm not even interested in having him tossed out of the building.  I'd just like to hear what he has to say

Yes, I would. If he's Cc'ing everyone at work, and management allows that, well then they shoulda figured this might happen.
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 02:03:11 PM »
So God does not have control over this death angel?  I thought God sent the angel when it was time to call us home.  Now there is another thing out there to be afraid of.  I've got to get me a magic decoder ring like now.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +355/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 02:18:31 PM »
What is this facebook thing I keep hearing about?
It's a way to tell a bunch of people you never interact with what you had for breakfast and to express a 2 sentence thought with a 1MB image.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."
- Eddie Izzard

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 02:27:45 PM »
God: Let me see, the death angel was at your bed this morning & I had to send one of My Angels to battle him for your life. I let you sleep through that

Me (humbled): OH

GOD: I didn't let your car start because there was a drunk driver on your route that would have hit you if you were on the road.

Me: (ashamed)

God: The first person who made your sandwich today was sick & I didn't want you to catch what they have, I knew you couldn't afford to miss work.

Me (embarrassed):Okay

God: Your phone went dead because the person that was calling was going to give false witness about what you said on that call, I didn't even let you talk to them so you would be covered.

Me (softly): I see God

God: Oh and that foot massager, it had a shortage that was going to throw out all of the power in your house tonight. I didn't think you wanted to be in the dark.

Me: I'm Sorry God

If it was me, I'd be asking why god doesn't deal with problems in more direct ways.  Why not prevent the sandwich maker's illness?  Why not prevent a drunk driver from driving (or being drunk, for that matter)?  Why not tell off that other person about giving "false witness" (whatever that's suppose to mean)?  I wonder what god would say in respond...  :P

Not to mention... how do we know he's not making this stuff up?
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2013, 02:29:38 PM »
Good question and even better advice...  I will go one extra step though:

Where I work, there is a chaplain who is essentially "non-denominational" in function and isn't paid anything by my employer.  He is a baptist minister and once a month sends out his chaplain's letter.  He's been here about 6 months and replaced a long-serving chaplain who rarely darkened the door of the place. 

His monthly letters started out pretty generic but this month really loaded up on religious-jeezus stuff.  Lines like, "If there is a god, where is he?"; "God is with us at all times and in every circumstance"; "There is but one truth and that is that god is with us"; "God desperately wants a relationship with you, his creation."

I likely would take him up on it.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +658/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, 03:44:01 PM »
Jessica called you a pig and implied you are not smart enough to understand her answer.  Plus, her story was really stupid.  What a fucking bitch.  I think a karate chop to the throat is a completely rational response here.

"Shut the fuck up, Jessica!"

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline thunderridge

• Graduate
  • Darwins +16/-0
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2013, 11:10:44 PM »
Jessica called you a pig

I noticed that too. 

Offline DumpsterFire

• Graduate
  • Darwins +61/-0
  • The Flaming Duck of Death!
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2013, 05:07:39 AM »
Jessica called you a pig and implied you are not smart enough to understand her answer.  Plus, her story was really stupid.  What a fucking bitch.  I think a karate chop to the throat is a completely rational response here.

"Shut the fuck up, Jessica!"

"Karate chop to the throat" is apparently an effective counter to "punch to the junk."
Providing rednecks with sunblock since 1996.

I once met a man who claimed to be a genius, then boasted that he was a member of "Mesa".

Think for yourself.

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +89/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2013, 07:34:03 AM »