Author Topic: God is More Likely than Luck  (Read 4606 times)

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
God is More Likely than Luck
« on: July 26, 2013, 08:36:44 AM »
A Creator gives meaning and purpose to this hard life we live.  A reason for existing.  Luck doesn't do that.  Luck doesn't console the mind that doesn't want to die or the loved ones left behind. 

Did luck even exist before mankind.  Where did luck come from? 

It seems more likely to me that there was and is a Creator with a reason for Creating life.

My biggest question would be; how do you believe in "luck" but snub superstitions.  Luck is a type of superstition.  Who had the rabbit's foot when The Big Bang took place?

Either way It was best said by the Theoretical Physics professor that narrated the How the Universe Works, Expanded episode I watched yesterday.  There is much more to learn and the universe is still a mystery.  He says this at the end of every episode.  That is the only real truth.

I'm looking forward to Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman next Wednesday night at 10 pm.  Maybe it will shed some light on this long drawn out and never ending debate. 
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline Ron Jeremy

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +59/-2
  • WWGHA Member
Re: God is More Likely than Luck
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 08:57:00 AM »
As Dan Barker pointed out "What reason for existing does the Creator have?". If you believe in a god that gives you purpose, what if he has none himself?

When I searched for god and came to conclusion he didn't exist, that also took away any belief I had in anything supernatural and concepts of an intelligent force driving things like fate or luck. I still use the words of course; I was lucky a couple of months ago when I went into a corner way too fast on my bike but got out the other side. But no supernatural entity had a hand in it, not unless they make sticky tyres for my Kawasaki.

I'd be surprised if any atheist believes in 'luck' apart from being merely a word to describe an event playing out to your advantage.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 08:58:54 AM by Ron Jeremy »
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - An example of a clearly demonstrably false biblical 'prophesy'.

The biblical myth of a 6000 year old Earth is proven false by the Gaia satellite directly measuring star age.

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 09:04:22 AM »
A Creator gives meaning and purpose to this hard life we live.  A reason for existing.  Luck doesn't do that.  Luck doesn't console the mind that doesn't want to die or the loved ones left behind. 

Your appeals to emotion mean nothing, JB, to anyone but yourself. As a wise man once said, "The truth doesn't give a shit about your feelings."

Just because you feel you should be special, should have a "higher purpose", doesn't make it so. And, just because your mind isn't consoled, doesn't mean others aren't as well. The way the universe works is actually quite consoling for me, as a matter of fact. I lost a very dear friend, at far too young an age not long ago, and I do find solace in the fact that his "better place" is oblivion.

Luck, as you're using it, would better be called statistical probability. And yes, it existed. 

It seems more likely to me that there was and is a Creator with a reason for Creating life.

Based on what? Your feelings?

My biggest question would be; how do you believe in "luck" but snub superstitions.  Luck is a type of superstition.  Who had the rabbit's foot when The Big Bang took place?

Nope. Again, statistical probability.

Either way It was best said by the Theoretical Physics professor that narrated the How the Universe Works, Expanded episode I watched yesterday.  There is much more to learn and the universe is still a mystery.  He says this at the end of every episode.  That is the only real truth.

Sure, but we're learning more and more every day, unravelling the mysteries. And that's the cool part, no?

Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +557/-17
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 09:16:42 AM »
I have to disagree.  God is not more likely than luck.  Indeed, the opposite is true, at least unless you think of 'luck' as its own entity, capable of blessing its proponents and followers.  Needless to say, this view of luck is just another deity.

Random chance, whether good or bad, has been observed countless times - indeed, the very word 'likely' refers to probability.  To talk about God being "more likely" than luck, or luck "more likely" than God, rather misses the point.  An atheist who doesn't believe in gods isn't going to believe in a luck deity either.  But it's been pretty conclusively demonstrated that random events happen all the time.  Sometimes those events are good, sometimes bad, but there's no force behind them, picking and choosing people to give good or bad luck to.

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 09:27:09 AM »

I'm looking forward to Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman next Wednesday night at 10 pm.  Maybe it will shed some light on this long drawn out and never ending debate.

Luck = Timing/Happenstance

If I left my house 2 seconds sooner (or 2 seconds later), that rock tossed up in traffic would not have cracked my winshield.

My timing created my bad luck.

Good luck, bad luck is how people label the events in their lives, there really is not such thing as LUCK.

Luck is just the coincidences or events that happen by chnace. 

When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +89/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 09:42:03 AM »
Its easier to say "wow that was lucky" than "wow that event was, statically, highly unlikely to turn out in my favour but despite all probability it has"
Both are essentially the same though.

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 09:46:15 AM »
So, in this thread there still is no evidence of this "god" but instead a baseless assertion that this entity with no evidence is more likely than a natural phenomenon observed daily. Interesting.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +125/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 09:50:24 AM »
If there is a creator/someone in charge of everything - then I would have to believe some sick bastard is orchestrating or ignoring the complete train wreck that is my life.  That is why I had to stop.  Shit just happens.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +747/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 10:02:03 AM »
As several have said, "luck" is just a term we all use when things turn out better than they could have. The odds are that sometimes things will turn out good, sometimes bad. Actual luck doesn't exist. In hindsight we sometimes pretend it does. And yes, there are times when I have hoped for a particular outcome and gotten what I wanted. More often it has turned out worse than I wanted (That's what I get for being a White Sox fan). It's a law of averages thing, not something real.

God? Lucky us. He doesn't exist at all. We are a tyrant-free universe (if you don't count some human wannabe's) and I prefer that it stay that way. What I want is irrelevant. The ability of reality to create gods is zero.

So if I choose to do so, I can say that we are lucky that we don't have a god. I am wise enough not to bother in this case. I have calmly accepted the status quo and have no need to make myself feel special regarding the situation.

I know the god thing makes you feel better, junebug. Your mind needs such things. Minds are capable of making stuff up. And/or accepting stuff made up by others. You feel your life is better because of such things.

Luckily for you that's possible. Otherwise you'd be stuck in the middle of reality for your whole life.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 10:08:42 AM »
As several have said, "luck" is just a term we all use when things turn out better than they could have. The odds are that sometimes things will turn out good, sometimes bad. Actual luck doesn't exist. In hindsight we sometimes pretend it does. And yes, there are times when I have hoped for a particular outcome and gotten what I wanted. More often it has turned out worse than I wanted (That's what I get for being a White Sox fan). It's a law of averages thing, not something real.

God? Lucky us. He doesn't exist at all. We are a tyrant-free universe (if you don't count some human wannabe's) and I prefer that it stay that way. What I want is irrelevant. The ability of reality to create gods is zero.

So if I choose to do so, I can say that we are lucky that we don't have a god. I am wise enough not to bother in this case. I have calmly accepted the status quo and have no need to make myself feel special regarding the situation.

I know the god thing makes you feel better, junebug. Your mind needs such things. Minds are capable of making stuff up. And/or accepting stuff made up by others. You feel your life is better because of such things.

Luckily for you that's possible. Otherwise you'd be stuck in the middle of reality for your whole life.
Bold mine.

You brought this on yourself buddy. When youre in cahoots with the devil, what do you expect?

Offline JeffPT

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-0
  • I'm a lead farmer mutha fucka
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 10:12:29 AM »

The day you start believing in the existence of something just because it makes you feel better is also the same day you stop caring about what's true and not true.

Give me the cold hard truth over a comforting lie any day of the week.
Whenever events that are purported to occur in our best interest are as numerous as the events that will just as soon kill us, then intent is hard, if not impossible to assert. NDT

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 10:25:04 AM »

As others have already pointed out, atheists believe in luck because we can see it happening. Significant events, good and bad, happen to people all the time. Sometimes they can be attributed to deliberate action, sometimes random chance. Before humans existed, it happened to our distant animal ancestors, and before them to nonliving things. Causality can be extended right back to the Big Bang with no problem at all.

Few atheists would disagree with that. I will point out, however, that so far empirical evidence supporting a universe-creator is zero, and evidence that the universe supports itself is quite abundant.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 10:40:31 AM »
Instead of luck you have just substituted a security blanket.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2013, 10:51:24 AM »
"More Likely" means something related to probability, ergo luck based. Your statement is already a nonsense contradiction before you even start to justify it.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Cycle4Fun

• Reader
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, 12:07:11 PM »

My biggest question would be; how do you believe in "luck" but snub superstitions. 
[/quote]

This is a repost from a different thread that fits better here.

Junebug, you seem to believe in a deist type god.  A morally good god who set things rolling and has been hands off ever since.  If that's different from what you actually believe, we'll need more clarification!

The only reason I see you've given for believing in god is the design you see in the universe.  You've acknowledged and understood the flaws in revealed religions such as Christianity.  That's good!  You and many atheists have much common ground.  Allow me to explain why I don't believe in a deist type god, or any god for that matter and why the reason for your belief is fatally flawed.

In doing so, I'll ignore the theory of evolution (how life came to be the way it is today), abiogenesis (hypothesis on how life began), and non-classical physics (how the universe works).  None of it matters.  All that we have to agree on is this:

The best way to determine what is true is to use a combination of logic and our senses and observations.  When we find something we think is true, it should be repeated to verify the earlier observation.  Preferably by someone else to ensure what we think is not a figment of our imagination.  If you don't agree with that statement we have no common ground.  and I would like to know why you disagree.

Why don't I believe in a god?  It's so simple, often those I've encountered who ask me this question have trouble wrapping their head around it.  I don't believe in a god or creator of the universe because there is no evidence or reason to think one exists!  There is nothing more to it.  I use the same logic monotheists use to dismiss all of the thousands of other gods man has believed in.  I just go one further.

You, with a deist type belief say, "I see the universe and I don't know how it came to be, therefore creator."  I say, "I see the universe and I don't know how it came to be."

You've assigned a cause to the universe when you really don't know.  Human's have been doing it for thousands of years.  Why does the Sun come up?  Ra!  What is lightning?  Zues!  Where the theist says, "I don't know, therefore my god/s."  Atheists say, "i don't know."

Else it's turtles all the way down!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtles_all_the_way_down

It takes courage to stand up and say, I don't know.

My biggest question would be; how do you believe in "luck" but snub superstitions. 
What we call "luck" in everyday speech is just statistical probability.  I believe in statistical probability because it has been shown to be true.  Probability is mathematically true.  You can't change 1+1 anymore than you can change the probability of heads or tails.

You can weight the coin and thus change the probability however!  Actions have consequences.

As a very complicated aside, random chance has been shown to be a fundamental part of the universe.  The theory of Quantum Mechanics is the most accurate theory science has yet found.  An inherent part of the theory is statistical probability.

Quantum Mechanics has been experimentally proven to be accurate to within 1 part in 100 billion.  That's 1 in 100,000,000,000.  The equivalent of measuring the width of North America down to the size of a human hair.
How do you define soul?
"A baseless assertion by simple-minded, superstitious individuals"
   -Starstuff

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +125/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2013, 12:53:50 PM »
A Creator gives meaning and purpose to this hard life we live.

We are the meaning and purpose to this hard life we live.

A reason for existing.

There is no reason.  We just do.

Luck doesn't do that.  Luck doesn't console the mind that doesn't want to die or the loved ones left behind. 

Empathy is what does that.  And love.

Did luck even exist before mankind.

Before mankind was just animals and before animals just plants and before plants just rocks...

Where did luck come from? 

Luck came from a man's imagination when he wanted an explanation for why things happened the way they did.

I thought that, too for a long time, but I couldn't fill the holes in my own explanations.  I couldn't let him off the hook for what is going on my my life.  He is either an asshole or he doesn't exist.

Another invention of man to explain the inexplicable.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +846/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2013, 01:22:27 PM »
I don't understand how the existence of a creator "gives meaning and purpose" to our lives. That's like saying because I had a mother, my life has meaning and purpose. What is that meaning? What is the purpose? I still have to figure all that out for myself.

Everyone in the world has to figure it out for themselves, whether they think there is a creator or not. That's why we don't see various god-believers living any different from the people around them who don't believe. What further information does adding a creator to the mix give us? None.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2013, 01:54:26 PM »
Wow!

Y'all responded to that in droves. 

I actually thought about random chance after I posted this topic.  It sounded better in my head than it did out here that's fer sure.

My main question has been answered, why believe in luck but not superstition?  Now I understand.  You don't believe in luck either.

Thanks.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2013, 02:48:22 PM »
Thomas Paine

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-9
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2013, 02:54:41 PM »
My main question has been answered, why believe in luck but not superstition?  Now I understand.  You don't believe in luck either.

Do you? If so, to what do you attribute it? What causes luck, either good or bad?
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2013, 03:45:53 PM »

Do you? If so, to what do you attribute it? What causes luck, either good or bad?

I've never been one to believe that much in luck until I got cancer and I felt lucky to have caught it in time.  I have always felt like luck was for the weak.  I make my own luck.  I now feel differently.  I feel very lucky right now. 

Direct answer= I don't know... but i wish I did.  I'd make sure we all had good luck.

You might be on to something here Dante.  If we could figure out how to change our luck to always be good then bad things would quit happening.  ;) Isn't that where all the superstition comes from though.  I am not superstitious.  I've played the games but it always felt silly.

Thomas Paine

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-9
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2013, 03:53:49 PM »

I've never been one to believe that much in luck until I got cancer and I felt lucky to have caught it in time.  I have always felt like luck was for the weak.  I make my own luck.  I now feel differently.  I feel very lucky right now.

Which is not quite what I was getting at, but we'll shelve that for now.

I am not superstitious.  I've played the games but it always felt silly.

This is the luck I was talking about, the superstitious kind. And it is silly, so we're in agreement.

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2013, 04:21:44 PM »

Why?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan

Offline Schizoid

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +10/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2013, 04:44:42 PM »
The assertion is:  "God is More Likely than Luck".  Prove it, you know, with proof, not just fuzzy feelings and a purpose driven life.  It is really up to the one making the claim to prove their assertion and not up to everyone else to disprove it.

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2013, 04:48:32 PM »

Why?

Good question.  I will have to get back to it in the morning.  I am surprised after all the threads we have both participated in together you don't already know that.  I am a hopeless romantic.  I am hard wired to believe in something.  I honestly believe I can not help it.  I feel it in my guts if you know what I mean.  When I reason this is where I end up.  Belief in something more powerful than humans.  That loves us and wants what is best but will not control us.  I'll will dig down deeper for you first thing in the morning.

Goodnight,

Junebug
Thomas Paine

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +557/-17
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2013, 05:07:58 PM »
The assertion is:  "God is More Likely than Luck".  Prove it, you know, with proof, not just fuzzy feelings and a purpose driven life.  It is really up to the one making the claim to prove their assertion and not up to everyone else to disprove it.
I think her assertion would be better described as "God is more likely than Lady Luck".

As it is, since atheists don't believe in a personification of luck who hands out good or bad luck any more than they believe in other gods, I think that particular part of it is moot.

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2013, 05:08:34 PM »

Good question.  I will have to get back to it in the morning.  I am surprised after all the threads we have both participated in together you don't already know that.  I am a hopeless romantic.  I am hard wired to believe in something.  I honestly believe I can not help it.  I feel it in my guts if you know what I mean. 

Have you ever noticed that "feeling it in your guts" in not a reliable source of separating fact from fiction? Has your "gut feeling" ever been wrong? I know mine has (as well as countless others). People's feelings/emotions are very often badly mistaken and need to been put in check by reason in order to avoid terrible error.

Why would you trust your "gut" instead of actually withholding judgment and doing some homework?

When I reason this is where I end up.  Belief in something more powerful than humans.  That loves us and wants what is best but will not control us. 

The mere fact of believing your gut doesn't make your belief true. But more importantly, what reasoning (exactly) have you done? Can you please present those arguments?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 05:10:30 PM by median »
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2013, 05:51:26 PM »
If you live in the western world....how hard can your life be.......in the eastern areas where women are oppressed,you may have something to talk about
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +747/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2013, 06:08:23 PM »
Junebug

I sometimes have "feelings" that I am doing something wrong as I try to fix a broken machine or do some other chore. But I have found over time that it is not a gut feeling, but a brain feeling. Where some part of my head is able to instill a nagging doubt in my head when brain cells which I apparently don't have direct contact with (keeping in mind that I'm old) are trying to tell me that it is the fuel line, not the carburetor. And in hindsight, I find those feeling are right about half the time.

What are the odds? Huh?

I've had several occasions in my life when the woman I was with at the time said accusingly "You're cheating on me. I just know it!." But I wasn't. Nobody's tummy is good at filling in the blanks. I suggest you find other ways to learn and/or make decisions. Everyone around you will be happier if you do.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.