Author Topic: Guess what that word/phrase means in English  (Read 11870 times)

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +97/-2
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Guess what that word/phrase means in English
« Reply #87 on: August 20, 2013, 05:11:25 AM »
light. The latin for light is lux, luz is close enough for me to think this is where is came from...

Online jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-1
« Reply #88 on: August 20, 2013, 06:25:37 AM »
I say light as well. It's the same in Spanish, and one of my favorite words/roots.

One of my favorite Spanish names, as well. Plus, I've always liked "Lucifer", even though nobody can really get away with naming a kid that (there's a thread here somewhere recently which alludes to that).

Oddly, another favorite name of mine is the Russian "Svetlana", which means the same, but, coming from a completely different root, sounds nothing like it. And I liked both names before I knew they had the same definition.

Also, sorry for not answering your previous question. You did such a good job with possible alternate definitions, and I couldn't come up with anything to grasp at as far as roots, that most of the choices seemed every bit as viable as others. Though there was something about the word which suggested trickery, and I was racking my brain to try to come up with a root or reason why it would feel that way, and narrow it down further between ruse and trickster, but never got any further.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +129/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #89 on: August 20, 2013, 12:25:06 PM »
I would enjoy seeing sentences with the words and translations when you give the correct answers.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #90 on: August 20, 2013, 12:29:24 PM »
Plus, I've always liked "Lucifer", even though nobody can really get away with naming a kid that (there's a thread here somewhere recently which alludes to that).

I also like the name "Lucifer". I even considered changing my name to that at one point, but, as you said, it's not allowed. Fucking christians and their false beliefs. I don't see what's wrong with being called "Lightbringer".
On a related note, I had a t-shirt made a while ago. It's white, with a perfect four-point star (upright, similar to a plus sign) on the front, around my sternum, angel wings on the back (where wings usually are on an angel), and the phrase "Fallen Angel; Bringer of Light" on the back, at the bottom. It's my favorite shirt.

I would enjoy seeing sentences with the words and translations when you give the correct answers.

I'll take that into consideration.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-37
« Reply #91 on: August 21, 2013, 05:43:34 AM »
Everyone wins.

light. The latin for light is lux, luz is close enough for me to think this is where is came from...

I say light as well. It's the same in Spanish, and one of my favorite words/roots.

Sentence: Que luz brilhante!
Translation: What a bright light!

Next Word: Pastor

Meaning in English:
  • Pastor
  • Sheppard
  • Father (a priest)
  • Father (a parent)
  • The first and second options
  • The first, second and third options
  • None of the above
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +129/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #92 on: August 21, 2013, 11:37:37 AM »
My guess is the 1st & 2nd options since I'm assuming Pastor does refer to a Pastor & recalling the term "pastoral" as referring to pasture like places where sheep may be leads me to include sheppard.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Online jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-1
« Reply #93 on: August 21, 2013, 12:09:29 PM »
My thinking was more or less the same as Lori's. I was going to say that it seems pretty feasible that it would include the word for priest, but then thought that, no, you had said "Father", which is a title rather than a position, and from a different root (probably something like Padre). Which got me going on all sorts of tangents.

The whole shepherd thing goes back to Jesus and leading of flocks anyway. And a priest and pastor, as well as ministers, vicars, and all manner of other titles all fall under that umbrella, but while they may be synonymous in that case, and might also be addressed as "Father" in some cases (not sure which denominations do this, but I'm pretty sure it's not limited to Catholics), that does not make Father and Shepherd the same thing etymologically speaking.

So I'll agree with Lori on options one and two.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-37
« Reply #94 on: August 24, 2013, 09:42:55 AM »
Sorry for the delay. Everyone wins.

Sentence: "Um pastor toma sempre conta do seu rebanho."
Translation: "A sheppard always looks after his flock."

Next word: Antepenúltima

Meaning in English:
  • Second to last (male)
  • Second to last (female)
  • Third to last(male)
  • Third to last (female)
  • The third and fourth options
  • None of the above
We choose our own gods.

Online jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-1
« Reply #95 on: August 24, 2013, 12:04:58 PM »
Well, penultimate means second to last, and the prefix "ante" means before, and the "a" ending indicates feminine, so I'd say third to the last (female).

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-37
« Reply #96 on: August 25, 2013, 02:05:55 PM »
Well, penultimate means second to last, and the prefix "ante" means before, and the "a" ending indicates feminine, so I'd say third to the last (female).

You've been learning. You are correct.
Sorry for the delay, but I was playing laser tag with some friends of mine.

Next word: Mano

Meaning in English:
  • Hand
  • Brother
  • Bro (as in the diminutive of brother)
  • Man (as in the female of woman)
  • The second and third options
  • None of the above
We choose our own gods.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-37
« Reply #97 on: August 25, 2013, 04:28:12 PM »

You've been learning. You are correct.
Sorry for the delay, but I was playing laser tag with some friends of mine.

Meaning in English:
  • Hand
  • Brother
  • Man (as in the opposite of woman)
  • None of the above

Bold mine. There was a small typo in my previous post. Ignore that and focus on this one.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 04:45:29 PM by One Above All »
We choose our own gods.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +925/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #98 on: August 26, 2013, 10:17:00 PM »
Bro, as in a short form of hermano.

(Just got back from a country where I spoke espanol for a week, so I am up to speed!)
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +97/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #99 on: August 27, 2013, 06:30:34 AM »

Meaning in English:
  • Hand
  • Brother
  • Man (as in the opposite of woman)
  • None of the above

ok so working with;
Rule of thumb:
Words ending in "-o" tend to be male, and words ending in "-a" tend to be female.
I can rule out 1.
I don't think it would be 3 based on the assumption that the rule of thumb above applies to non-diminuitive words, this also rules out 5.
Man in spanish is hombre( something like that) I assume that the Portuguese is similar (as most words are)
So I'm going for 2 "brother"...

Online jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-1
« Reply #100 on: August 27, 2013, 07:08:38 AM »
It's identical to the word for hand in related languages, so despite the off chance that it's another one of those "false friends", that's what I'm going with.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-37
« Reply #101 on: August 27, 2013, 07:55:11 AM »
nogodsforme wins.

Bro, as in a short form of hermano.

(Just got back from a country where I spoke espanol for a week, so I am up to speed!)

I selected the word "mano" precisely because of its similarity to the Spanish "mano" (hand).

Sentence: Este é o menu mano.
Translation: This is my bro.

Next word: Rapariga

Meaning in English:
  • Girl (as in the opposite of boy)
  • Prostitute
  • Whore
  • None of the above

I'd really like for you guys to send your requests to me; otherwise I might have to stop this game, since I can't come up with anything interesting.
We choose our own gods.

Online jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-1
« Reply #102 on: August 27, 2013, 08:36:39 AM »
Cool. I hadn't noticed Nogodsforme's answer, otherwise I'd have probably agreed. That would kinda be cheating, though. 

Out of curiosity, though, what is the Portugese word for hand?

And, by the way, your questions so far have all been interesting, whether you think so or not. I'll try to come up with another one in Polish to mix things up a bit as well.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 08:38:40 AM by jynnan tonnix »

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-37
« Reply #103 on: August 27, 2013, 08:38:13 AM »
Cool. I hadn't noticed Nogodsforme's answer, otherwise I'd have probably agreed. That would kinda be cheating, though. 

Out of curiosity, though, what is the Portugese word for hand?

Mão (singular) and mãos (plural). It's also female.
We choose our own gods.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-37
« Reply #104 on: August 28, 2013, 05:12:21 PM »
Nobody entered, but the answer was "girl" (as in the opposite of "boy"). In Brazil, "rapariga" also means "prostitute"/"whore", but not here.

Sentence: Que rapariga gira.
Translation: What a cute girl.

Next word: Victória

Meaning in English:
  • Victory
  • Victoria
  • None of the above

I didn't include many options because I honestly couldn't think of other similar words.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +97/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #105 on: August 29, 2013, 06:50:29 AM »
Nobody entered, but the answer was "girl" (as in the opposite of "boy"). In Brazil, "rapariga" also means "prostitute"/"whore", but not here.

Sentence: Que rapariga gira.
Translation: What a cute girl.

Next word: Victória

Meaning in English:
  • Victory
  • Victoria
  • None of the above

I didn't include many options because I honestly couldn't think of other similar words.

I thought I had entered the last one. i was going to go with girl - honest the reason being the word ended with an "a" and the others are non gender specific.

Anyway nest one.

its got to be victoria its just too close not to be...

Online jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-1
« Reply #106 on: August 29, 2013, 11:41:48 AM »
It seems that it would be Victory, but if that was the case, then most probably the name "Victoria" (which is what I am assuming you mean with choice #2), would be the same word (vs "Victory" and "Victoria" being different in English). Unless the word for Victory is something else. But just as I messed up with "mano", I can't imagine a word which sounds so similar in so many languages all of a sudden becoming something rather unfamiliar in Portugese. Though, obviously, that can and does happen.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-37
« Reply #107 on: August 29, 2013, 05:11:38 PM »
Everyone loses. Mrjason was close, but there's something I learned in my English classes that I'll share with you: names are not translatable. If your name is "Hélio", for example, like mine, you are still called "Hélio" in every language on or off the planet, regardless of whatever equivalents the name might have in those languages. In other words, the answer was "None of the above". I had hoped that the fact that I've included that option for the past few games would throw you off, and I'm guessing it did.

Next word: Bife

Meaning in English:
  • Beef (meat)
  • Steak
  • Stake
  • None of the above
We choose our own gods.

Online jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-1
« Reply #108 on: August 29, 2013, 05:31:12 PM »
Everyone loses. Mrjason was close, but there's something I learned in my English classes that I'll share with you: names are not translatable. If your name is "Hélio", for example, like mine, you are still called "Hélio" in every language on or off the planet, regardless of whatever equivalents the name might have in those languages. In other words, the answer was "None of the above". I had hoped that the fact that I've included that option for the past few games would throw you off, and I'm guessing it did.

I was actually going to guess "none of the above", actually, just for that reason, but ultimately decided that the word simply HAD to either be a name, or mean victory. What does it mean, by the way? You didn't include that in your response.

As far as names being non-translatable, yes, I know that. I guess my response got convoluted, though. The point I was making was that there are a whole lot of languages out there in which Victor or Victoria are common names (even in Polish, which has different roots for the most part; I have an uncle Wiktor), and the meaning of the name goes back to the word for Victory. So it just seemed like too big of a stretch for the Portugese language to have the word Victoria in it, and it not be either a name or the word for Victory.

That's probably still pretty convoluted. I'll shut up now :)

As far as the next word, I'm pretty sure it's Beef (the meat), but totally uncertain whether it would also be a word for steak. I'll just go with beef, though.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-37
« Reply #109 on: August 29, 2013, 05:36:56 PM »
What does it mean, by the way? You didn't include that in your response.

"Victória" is the Portuguese equivalent of "Victoria". "Vitória" (note the lack of a "c" before the t) means "victory".
We choose our own gods.

Online jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-1
« Reply #110 on: August 30, 2013, 05:39:16 AM »
Thanks.

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +97/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #111 on: August 30, 2013, 06:38:49 AM »

Next word: Bife

Meaning in English:
  • Beef (meat)
  • Steak
  • Stake
  • None of the above

Ah should have known that about names.

I do think I know this next answer though

I'm going for Steak. reason being I was on holiday in albufeira last year and I'm sure this was what I ordered. I know frango too, I went to Mr Frango's frango hut :)

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-37
« Reply #112 on: August 31, 2013, 06:35:20 AM »
Mrjason wins.

I'm going for Steak.

"Bife" is pronounced almost like "beef", but, in fact, means "steak". It is yet another "false friend".

Sentence: Este bife é muito bom.
Translation: This steak is very good.

Next word: À

Meaning in English:
  • The
  • To
  • To the
  • A
  • An
  • The fourth and fifth options
  • None of the above
We choose our own gods.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +925/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #113 on: September 02, 2013, 06:42:51 PM »
To. Again with the espanol.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-37
« Reply #114 on: September 02, 2013, 06:56:00 PM »
Everyone loses. The correct answer is "to the". The word "à" is a contraction of "a" and "a"; the first "a" meaning "to" and the second meaning "the". Here's a sentence my grandmother taught me when she explained it to me:
Sentence: Eu estou a ir à escola.
Translation: I am going to (the) school.
In English, sometimes the "the" is omitted, as is the case in my example.

Next word: Fogo

Meaning in English:
  • Damn (as in "Damn!")
  • Fire
  • Alcohol
  • None of the above
We choose our own gods.

Online jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-1
« Reply #115 on: September 03, 2013, 06:25:36 AM »
I would guess "fire", based on the similarity to the Spanish "fuego". Though it may very well be an idiomatic term for "damn" as well, such as one might swear by saying "hellfire!" or some such.