Author Topic: Guess what that word/phrase means in English  (Read 7307 times)

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +266/-34
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: Guess what that word/phrase means in English
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2013, 05:45:27 PM »
As expected, everyone loses. The correct answer was "Word whose most emphatic syllable is the third to last", although I also would've accepted "First and fourth options". Let me explain:
"Exdrúxula" is a term related to a classification of words, depending on which syllable is the most emphatic. In Portuguese, we have "palavras agudas", words whose most emphatic syllable is the second to last, "palavras graves", words whose most emphatic syllable is the last, and "palavras exdrúxulas", whose meaning I've already explained.
As a rule (and I mean an actual rule; not one of those so-called rules that are full of exceptions), "palavras exdrúxulas" have an acute accent (´) in the third to last syllable. Hence why I would've accepted the penultimate option.

Next word: Último

Meaning in English:
  • Ultimate
  • Last (male)
  • Last (female)
  • Ultimatum
  • Second and third options

I'm running out of ideas for this game. If you'd like to see it go on, PM me your suggestions. So that everyone can participate, if you suggest a word, I'll do the opposite: give you the word in English and a bunch of Portuguese possibilities.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +81/-1
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2013, 08:18:28 PM »
Maybe we could have people chime in with other languages? I could do Polish, except that I don't know how to type some of the various letters I would need. I know we have quite a multilingual group here, anyway...

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +266/-34
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2013, 07:04:43 AM »
Maybe we could have people chime in with other languages? I could do Polish, except that I don't know how to type some of the various letters I would need. I know we have quite a multilingual group here, anyway...

I'd be fine with that. Any takers?
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline pianodwarf

• Fellow
  • Darwins +206/-5
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2013, 07:30:36 AM »

The only ones I could do it in would be French, which would be too easy (lots of people have studied it, even if you haven't studied it, it's often easy to guess, and there's at least one person here whom I know is a native speaker), or Irish, which might be too hard.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +622/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2013, 07:33:43 AM »
You could play "guess that language".   I'll start.  Here's  a phrase in an unknown language.  Guess the meaning in english and the language:

erethey isay onay odgay.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +81/-1
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2013, 07:45:25 AM »

I'll try to come up with something suitably tricky.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +266/-34
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2013, 07:52:16 AM »
The only ones I could do it in would be French, which would be too easy (lots of people have studied it, even if you haven't studied it, it's often easy to guess, and there's at least one person here whom I know is a native speaker), or Irish, which might be too hard.

I agree with both your points.

You could play "guess that language".   I'll start.  Here's  a phrase in an unknown language.  Guess the meaning in english and the language:

erethey isay onay odgay.

I recognize the language[1] (if it can even be called that), but I have no idea what it means.

I'll try to come up with something suitably tricky.

I'd appreciate that.
 1. Pig Latin.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +82/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2013, 07:57:07 AM »
Next word: Último

Meaning in English:
  • Ultimate
  • Last (male)
  • Last (female)
  • Ultimatum
  • Second and third options

I'm gonna go for second and third options. reason being that ultimate means last and you've put the other options in to try and trick us ;)

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +82/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2013, 08:10:14 AM »

erethey isay onay odgay.

Hmm not sure, doesn't look like it has latin roots. I'm guessing its a language that doesn't normally use a latinate alphabet like arabic or chinese. but its not either of those two...

Offline DumpsterFire

• Graduate
  • Darwins +61/-0
  • The Flaming Duck of Death!
« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2013, 12:43:27 PM »

erethey isay onay odgay.

Hmm not sure, doesn't look like it has latin roots. I'm guessing its a language that doesn't normally use a latinate alphabet like arabic or chinese. but its not either of those two...
It appears to be porcine in origin...  ;)
Providing rednecks with sunblock since 1996.

I once met a man who claimed to be a genius, then boasted that he was a member of "Mesa".

Think for yourself.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +266/-34
« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2013, 05:55:47 PM »
Everyone loses. The answer was "Last (male)".

Rule of thumb:
Words ending in "-o" tend to be male, and words ending in "-a" tend to be female. One such exception is a place called "Saldanha", which is male.

Next word: Ultimato

Meaning in English:
  • Ultimate
  • Ultimatum
  • Utilization
  • Useful
  • None of the above

jynnan tonnix, just tell me when you want to step in.
We choose our own gods.

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +81/-1
« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2013, 08:02:07 PM »

jynnan tonnix, just tell me when you want to step in.

Ok, how's this for a start...

Firanka (Polish)

a)Christmas tree

b)drinking glass

c)window

d)curtain

e)folk dance

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +783/-4
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2013, 08:34:31 PM »
I am guessing window, based on similarity to fenetre in French and ventana in Spanish. I know that Polish is Slavic, not Latin-derived, but that's all I have for ya.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +266/-34
« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2013, 03:36:37 PM »
Nobody entered, but the answer was "Ultimatum". jynnan tonnix, what was the answer to your quiz?

I must correct a statement I made here recently: there are words ending in "r" that aren't verbs, such as "senhor" (sir) and "horror" (horror).

Next word: Grande

Meaning in English:
  • Grand
  • Important
  • Big
  • First and second options
  • None of the above
We choose our own gods.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +783/-4
« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2013, 03:38:51 PM »
Big, still relying on my espanol.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +81/-1
« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2013, 07:08:45 AM »
I was waiting to see whether there were going to be any more guesses.

The answer was d) Curtain.

And, yes, nogods, I noticed the similarity in the words for window in other languages when I was trying to come up with alternate guesses. I'd never thought of that before, but it struck me that there might be a common root in there, since curtains and windows go together, as it were. It had also occurred to me that the first three letters (fir), might be related to vir, which seemed as though it might have something to do with glass as well, but I was probably thinking of vitreous, which is a bit of a stretch. Anyway, it's always fun to think about things like that.

I remember first getting fascinated with the relationships between words in other languages when I was about 8 or so, and someone had taught me the German words to "Silent Night"...and a couple of days later, I was walking around in my bathrobe, which is "szlafrok" in Polish, and it suddenly hit me that the first part, "szlaf", was pronounced just like the "schlaf" in the carol, which meant sleep, and "frok" was just like the English (and probably German) word for a dress. Anyway, that epiphany was way exciting to my 8 year old mind!

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +266/-34
« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2013, 08:27:12 AM »
nogodsforme wins.

Big, still relying on my espanol.

Next word: Duvidar

Meaning in English:
  • To speak
  • To be
  • To doubt
  • To smile
  • To hear
  • None of the above

I was waiting to see whether there were going to be any more guesses.

Not many people guess, unfortunately.
We choose our own gods.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +783/-4
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2013, 03:38:09 PM »
I guess none of the above. I can't connect duvidar with anything.

I am such a language nerd. I love learning about different languages and how they represent the same reality so differently. Living in other cultures and learning languages has influenced my worldview bigtime. Languages affect the way people think and how they see the world.

One culture has an idea or a concept that does not even exist in another culture, so there are no mutual words for it.  One language has to borrow the word or phrase from another. Think about how many words we need in English to translate tete a tete, rendezvous, decolletage, folie a deux or menage a trois from French. The fact that French already has words for these concepts and English does not tells you something about the respective cultures.

Also, languages don't directly translate meaning, which is another factor in my atheism. For example, in Spanish there are a lot of reflexive verbs, where something does something to itself. To say the cat fell off a table, you say se cayo el gato de la mesa, which translates as "the cat dropped itself from the table." Rocks and other inanimate objects also "drop themselves". I don't know about you, but I see a different picture in my head from "it fell" to "it dropped itself".

Once the bible or other sacred text has been translated, the meaning has changed.[1] Over time, you get a telephone game effect, where people have no clue what the original meaning of a passage was. Yet, they think they can base their life decisions or country's laws on this stuff!
 1. Muslims try to prevent this by only having the Quran be sacred in Arabic, but the meaning of words changes over time even within a language or culture. What does it mean to "dress modestly"? In Saudi Arabia it means head to toe loose burkha-type covers in black or white for men and women. In Senegal it means clothes that cover the entire body but that are tight and in bright colors.

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +81/-1
« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2013, 06:36:27 AM »
I'm going to guess "to doubt", since v's and b's tend to transmute into each other in language evolution, as do d's and t's, bringing the word to "dubitar". Which seems close enough to make that leap. I don't remember what the word is in Spanish.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +266/-34
« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2013, 09:15:16 AM »
jynnan tonnix wins.

I'm going to guess "to doubt", since v's and b's tend to transmute into each other in language evolution, as do d's and t's, bringing the word to "dubitar". Which seems close enough to make that leap. I don't remember what the word is in Spanish.

The word, IIRC, is "dudar" (literally: to doubt).

Next word: Copo

Meaning in English:
  • Cup (a "drinking vessel", as Wikipedia calls it)
  • Glass (same as "Cup")
  • Body
  • Suction cup
  • The first and second options
  • None of the above
We choose our own gods.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +266/-34
« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2013, 03:35:54 PM »
The answer was "the first and second options".

Next word: Dor

Meaning in English:
  • Pain
  • To give
  • To hear
  • To listen
  • The third and fourth options
  • None of the above

Just a note for those who still care about this game: if nobody participates in this round, I'll stop the game altogether.
We choose our own gods.

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +81/-1
« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2013, 07:52:21 AM »
I like the game, but hate making mistakes! So I generally avoid answering unless I'm pretty sure I have it figured out. And even then I mess it up about half the time. It's always interesting to see what the right answer is, though.

If I had to guess, my first thought would be either a or b...it's closer to "dar", which, if I remember correctly is Spanish for  "to give", but somehow the difference in the vowel makes it feel (if that makes sense) a bit more like "dolor" (pain) even though the word itself is less similar overall...

Which, of course, probably means it's actually one of the other choices, but I can't dredge up any closely matching words for hearing and listening out of my brain. So, it could just as easily be something totally other.

Urgh! I hate decisions. Can't I just leave it with letting you in on my thought process without actually choosing anything?

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +266/-34
« Reply #80 on: August 17, 2013, 01:07:51 PM »
<snip>
Urgh! I hate decisions. Can't I just leave it with letting you in on my thought process without actually choosing anything?

Fine by me. I just want to know that I'm not wasting my time with this game.
We choose our own gods.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +266/-34
« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2013, 03:39:15 PM »
The answer was "pain".

jynnan tonnix had a point about the word not feeling right. The Portuguese word for "to give" is "dar".

Next word: "Da"

Meaning in English:
  • Give (imperative, third person, singular)
  • Give (imperative, third person, plural)
  • Of the (male)
  • Of the (female)
  • Father
  • The third and fourth options
  • None of the above
We choose our own gods.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2013, 06:04:03 PM »
Of the - female

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +266/-34
« Reply #83 on: August 18, 2013, 03:55:27 PM »
Quesi wins.

Of the - female

I was hoping the similarities between "dar" and "da", as well as the similarities between "da" and "dad" would throw you off. The actual word for "give (imperative, third person, singular)" is "dá" (note the accent) and the one for "give (imperative, third person, plural)" is "dêem".

Next word: Falcatrua

Meaning in English:
  • Falcon (male)
  • Falcon (female)
  • A ruse
  • A trickster
  • None of the above

Try guessing this one without cheating. :P
We choose our own gods.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #84 on: August 18, 2013, 05:37:07 PM »
Sorry.  I shouldn't play.  I used to speak Portuguese pretty well, but my skills have diminished over the years, and I have more Spanish interference than not.  I've been trying to stay out of the game, but I jumped at the easy one. 

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +266/-34
« Reply #85 on: August 18, 2013, 05:51:04 PM »
Sorry.  I shouldn't play.  I used to speak Portuguese pretty well, but my skills have diminished over the years, and I have more Spanish interference than not.  I've been trying to stay out of the game, but I jumped at the easy one. 

Of course you should play. That's the whole point of the game. At the very least leave a message with your train of thought.
Also, that message wasn't for you specifically. It was for anyone who might participate.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 06:05:57 PM by One Above All »
We choose our own gods.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +266/-34
« Reply #86 on: August 19, 2013, 06:28:34 PM »
The correct answer was "a ruse". To be more precise, "falcatrua" is usually used in the context of a business ruse.

Next word: Luz

Meaning in English:
  • Light
  • Fight
  • Flight
  • Float
  • None of the above

Note: I really am running out of ideas here. Send me your suggestions by PM, if you'd like to see this game go on.
We choose our own gods.