Author Topic: Robin Williams dies at 63 in apparent suicide  (Read 153 times)

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +280/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Robin Williams dies at 63 in apparent suicide
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 06:56:24 PM »
After reading this, I told my mom and she was sad and surprised, especially when I told her from an apparent suicide.

My brother spent 15 minutes with him at Universal Studios Orlando when he drove one of those boats that go from the hotels to the parks. I never met him, myself though. I did spend an hour shooting the shit with Gilbert Gottfried[1] when I worked there. So, a connection. ;)

-Nam
 1. my phone changed it to Godfrey
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 07:06:31 PM by Nam »
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +124/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 07:53:24 PM »
Just goes to show that depression should be taken seriously no matter who you are.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +75/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 07:55:46 PM »
I had no personal connection with him, but admired his work as a comedian and actor. Hail and farewell, Mr. Williams.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 08:22:38 PM »

feel like I should put some Jonathon Winters in dere wit im.
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +48/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 08:30:55 PM »
Just goes to show that depression should be taken seriously no matter who you are.

Drug addiction as well...

T.S. Garp was my favorite of his roles.

There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Online jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +84/-1
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 07:38:53 AM »
I remember the first episode of Mork & Mindy, and being completely amazed by him from the beginning. Such a multifaceted talent, and huge loss.

Unsurprisingly, along with all the tributes, there are some really nasty comments and conspiracy theories surfacing.

This article tells of some of the Christian responses:
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressivesecularhumanist/2014/08/christians-report-robin-williams-is-in-hell/

And this was one reply on facebook to a post someone made asking, "so who has heard the theories that Robin Williams was a "super blood moon sacrifice"?
paint me blue and call me crazy but from experience i can't talk about it was no suicide(illuminati) remember i said that , you will see down the road

I suppose it's all but inevitable that when such a huge figure passes away, a lot of loonies come out of the woodwork.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +124/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 07:51:09 AM »
I guess Fox News had a terribly insensitive report but who would expect less from them.  Whenever the subject of mental illness/health comes up I am amazed by the ignorant comments I see. And people really have no clue about suicide either.  I'm starting to feel like a lot of people just live in a bubble and don't inform themselves about anything that doesn't directly affect them and really don't give a crap that they are uninformed.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 10:37:49 AM »
I guess Fox News had a terribly insensitive report but who would expect less from them.  Whenever the subject of mental illness/health comes up I am amazed by the ignorant comments I see. And people really have no clue about suicide either.  I'm starting to feel like a lot of people just live in a bubble and don't inform themselves about anything that doesn't directly affect them and really don't give a crap that they are uninformed.

I read yesterday trolls started attacking his daughter Zelda on Twitter by posting a dead body that resembled her father.

And people think we're insensitive.

Also read at a Christian website that Williams wasn't a Christian, he wasn't saved and only if people like Williams(drug users and depressed people) would become Christians™, all their problems will go away. Apparently said by a friend of his.

Again: insensitive.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 06:11:36 PM »
Reading about the Twitter trolls and Fox News just reminds me why I have little faith in the human race.

It is sad to see him go and how he went, just makes it all the more sad. You'd think for a man like him, there'd be help, but...it can catch up with anybody and that's the sad thing.

However, Fox aren't the only ones not tackling it sensitively, though they do really stand out. Mental health charity, Mind, ended up attacking media coverage on the story in the UK, trying to educate journalists.

http://www.mind.org.uk/news-campaigns/news/mind-comments-on-reporting-of-the-death-of-robin-williams/#.U-1BC_ldXy0

To me, it's just a sign of how poorly educated people are over mental health (in fairness, I've educated myself). Journalists should use this as an opportunity to educate people on mental health, not to stigmatize it. Given Robin Williams spoke out about depression and was vocal on it, I think this would be a greater tribute to his memory.

But Fox News are cunts, we knew that already.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 07:47:38 AM »
Saw this in the New Yorker:

From a crying Penny Marshall, who worked alot with Robin:

On the press tour (For the movie Awakenings), she recalled, “I slurred, and said the film was set at a menstrual hospital, instead of a mental hospital—and Robin immediately said, ‘It’s a period piece.’

Referring to reports that Williams—who, it later emerged, was in the early stages of Parkinson’s disease—had slashed at his wrist before using a belt to asphyxiate himself, she said, “It didn’t look planned. Most of his improvs were great, but he takes a penknife, you know? Then thinks, That’s not going to work.” She laughed, despite herself.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/08/25/old-gang

“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Online jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +84/-1
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 07:42:59 PM »
Thanks for this one...I've seen a lot of tributes and interviews in the past days, and this is probably one of the sweetest and most human of them. Will be sharing it on.