Author Topic: Star Trek: Axanar  (Read 1272 times)

Offline jaimehlers

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +1022/-25
  • WWGHA Member
Star Trek: Axanar
« on: January 02, 2016, 01:00:22 AM »
http://www.axanarproductions.com/

I only found out about this because CBS and Paramount sued them for "copyright infringement", which is rubbish seeing as they've outright ignored major fan-made productions like Star Trek New Voyages and Star Trek Continues.  We're not talking about fan-made music videos which take a couple hours to put together; we're talking about full-length episodes, produced by volunteers and professionals, which are good enough to hold their own in terms of quality.  And the former has been around for more than a decade, without so much as a peep from the copyright owners, despite being much larger copyright violations than Axanar is likely to be.
Nullus In Verba, aka "Take nobody's word for it!"  If you can't show it, then you don't know it.

Offline wright

• Fellow
  • Darwins +176/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
Re: Star Trek: Axanar
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 05:51:17 AM »
Ignoring the other professional fan productions does seem strange. No stage of their development was any great secret, AFAIK. Fans making ST-inspired works generally solicit help openly from other fans and established professionals alike.

Hell, here's a link to one of my favorites, set at the end of Original Trek:http://auroratrek.com/index.html. AFAIK, the sole producer, Tim Vining, has never been sued by any nominal copyright holder.

What is it that set the lawyers on ST: Axanar?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 05:56:36 AM by wright »
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline jaimehlers

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +1022/-25
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 09:43:27 AM »
The most common speculation is the timing.  It's set to be released around the time the next Abrams movie comes out (or, more ac.  Which, admittedly, was never a secret.  What probably happened is that Paramount flipped out when they realized that Axanar would be available at the same time as the next mediocre offering of the rebooted movie series[1].
 1. I could have lived with the first movie, even though it was kind of dumb, but Into Darkness was just plain stupid.  "Oh, hey, let's use someone who looks nothing like Ricardo Montalban as Khan.  Nobody will notice!"  Not to mention essentially mirroring certain scenes from Star Trek II, even though it didn't make cinematic sense to do so.
Nullus In Verba, aka "Take nobody's word for it!"  If you can't show it, then you don't know it.

Offline wright

• Fellow
  • Darwins +176/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 01:54:04 PM »
^^^That seems plausible.

Fans from ST and other franchises can be picky nowadays, even though they (we) still usually take in the "official" productions out of loyalty / curiosity. The difference now of course being that the technology and skill base (drawing on huge numbers of people around the world who can easily collaborate over the internet) makes it easier and cheaper to make quality work and distribute it. Of course the status quo doesn't like that.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline jaimehlers

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +1022/-25
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 09:23:53 AM »
The thing is, one of the producers of Axanar was told, in a meeting he arranged with Paramount long before this lawsuit nonsense, that it wasn't to make any money, and thus it is quite clear that the last thing they were concerned with was copyright violations.  And while it is true that Paramount has the letter of copyright law on their side, it is extremely clear at this point that this isn't truly about copyright concerns, otherwise why initially permit it and then do a 180 some time afterward?

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +403/-5
  • I can haz jeezusburgerâ„¢
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 05:57:28 PM »
I think it's the standard of the production that worries them. They were OK with fanfic, while it was obviously amateur.
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be bleedn obvious.