Author Topic: New little piece of Christian propaganda in film.  (Read 242 times)

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +67/-1
New little piece of Christian propaganda in film.
« on: March 26, 2014, 07:29:24 AM »
Since it seems that there hasn't been much in the way of actual religious debate around here lately (Skeptic doesn't seem interested in actual, thoughtful contribution; Jesuis is simply incomprehensible babble, and both are moderated anyway), and there were barely any new posts this morning to chew on with my breakfast, I went to IMDB at random to look for something worth reading.

There seems to be a new little indie Christian film out called "God is Not Dead", which looks like an expansion on the old stories that make their way around, about the atheist college professor and the student who challenges him and ends up offering proof of god so irrefutable as to make the professor cave.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2528814/

I have no actual interest in this film, but thought the user reviews and comments might make for some entertainment, and, indeed, even though it's not really a discussion forum, there were enough differences of opinion, and enough really cringe-producing Christian drivel as to make it mildly diverting. There are also message boards on the film, which I read through a little of. It might have been fun to contribute, or maybe even direct a few people over here, but I have not been able to do that, as I registered there once, years ago but have forgotten the password, etc, and can't seem to get through their system to reset it.

I'm not much of a moviegoer in any case, so it doesn't much matter. But there are so many Christians out there willing to give their opinions at the drop of a hat, it seems, yet they hardly ever come here as anything but drive-bys. It's just a bit frustrating.

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +441/-11
  • WWGHA Member
Re: New little piece of Christian propaganda in film.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 07:39:04 AM »
It's pretty sad that this movie was so awful that a young-earth creationist Christian hated it enough to write a lengthy review on exactly why he did.
Worldviews:  Everyone has one, everyone believes them to be an accurate view of the world, and everyone ends up at least partially wrong.  However, some worldviews are stronger and well-supported, while others are so bizarre that they make no sense to anyone else.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +271/-76
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 11:28:55 AM »
I spend a lot of time at imdb.com (member for 12+ years), and almost every film has an entertaining message board attached to it.

-Nam

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +67/-1
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 11:39:18 AM »
It's pretty sad that this movie was so awful that a young-earth creationist Christian hated it enough to write a lengthy review on exactly why he did.

I saw that, and thought it sounded as though his analysis was probably quite perceptive. Aside from the whole being a young-earth creationist he sounded reasonably intelligent and articulate. Why don't we get more of those around here who might actually give us some decent debates? Too much to ask?

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +552/-22
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 12:19:07 PM »
I saw that, and thought it sounded as though his analysis was probably quite perceptive. Aside from the whole being a young-earth creationist he sounded reasonably intelligent and articulate. Why don't we get more of those around here who might actually give us some decent debates? Too much to ask?

Let me answer your second question first: yes.  You are asking a lot.

As for the first:  We don't get many theists at all anymore.  But even someone who sounds articulate and intelligent is not going to sound very much of either once he or she starts discussing young earth creationism. 

Look at magicmiles.  Most people here have some kind of respect for him.  And he generally sounds okay.  Until he starts talking about his cockamamie beliefs.  Has he ever given anyone a decent debate?  In my opinion, no.  He causes one embarrassing facepalm after another.  He's a full grown halibut in a 50 gallon drum, and you've got a pump action 12 gauge.  You can't miss.  It is because his position is a poor one and inherently indefensible, no matter by whom.  My two bits, anyway.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +271/-76
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 12:29:47 PM »
The sad thing is, when I was at my cousin's funeral a couple of weeks ago an uncle and aunt saw a prescreening of the film and they loved it and believe it to be accurate--it's sad because Christians are the ones who made up the lie/myth and they are the ones who perpetuate it and making a film about it just places atheists in a bad light, as always.

-Nam

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +67/-1
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 01:27:37 PM »

Let me answer your second question first: yes.  You are asking a lot.

As for the first:  We don't get many theists at all anymore.  But even someone who sounds articulate and intelligent is not going to sound very much of either once he or she starts discussing young earth creationism. 

Look at magicmiles.  Most people here have some kind of respect for him.  And he generally sounds okay.  Until he starts talking about his cockamamie beliefs.  Has he ever given anyone a decent debate?  In my opinion, no.  He causes one embarrassing facepalm after another.  He's a full grown halibut in a 50 gallon drum, and you've got a pump action 12 gauge.  You can't miss.  It is because his position is a poor one and inherently indefensible, no matter by whom.  My two bits, anyway.

I know. I get that we are not going to find someone out there who is going to find the magic words to make us convert, and we have heard all the arguments and apologetics way too many times already. I guess, ultimately, it would be nice to find some way to attract the more "average" Christian, who might already have a few chinks in the armor. Maybe a couple more people like Old Church Guy, who recognize that there is every possibility that they are mistaken in their beliefs even if they choose not to give them up. Even if that doesn't offer much in the way of debate, it's good to have a theist perspective presented in a way which doesn't make you feel as though you are talking to a brick wall.
Even a good, articulate fundy can be entertaining when they respond to points made with something other than, essentially "lalalalala, I can't hear you". At least there is always the illusion, in that case, that something you say might actually stick at some point.

The current crop just seem to be talking to themselves more than really interacting.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +552/-22
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 07:37:20 AM »
A review of the movie.
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/03/27/1287917/-What-can-we-learn-from-God-s-Not-Dead

I mean it, what can we learn from the intellectual travesty that is God's Not Dead?

Oh for pity's sake, stop laughing already! It might be unquestionably is a self-defeating, dishonest, and intellectually bereft film; but, for a film that centers around arguments and "logic" that would fail a highschool intro-to-critical-thinking class, it's actually surprisingly instructive.

Not about logic. Or philosophy. Or even the finer points of theology. No, God's Not Dead is a compilation of terrible arguments and worse stereotypes, presented as if it's something new and thought provoking...the dimwitted but loudmouthed jock of films, that blunders onscreen and spends a long time attempting to prove how clever it is -- but in the end leaves any thinking person embarrassed to be in the vicinity. And yet, it's still an instructive film, on a number of points.

...(continues)

edit: heh, great quote:
It's all about the heroic, persecuted Christian fundamentalist daring to take a stand against the secular persecutor. It's something along the lines of sitting in your basement and crafting weapons to destroy the invading Cylons: a battle that's only happening in the minds of the "defenders".

There is a good link in it to another review in psychology today
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/logical-take/201403/god-s-not-dead-neither-is-philosophy?quicktabs_5=0

« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 08:14:16 AM by screwtape »
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +441/-11
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 08:25:11 AM »
Yeah, as I said, it's an utterly dumb movie.  The only reason it might possibly succeed is because it speaks to the Christian wanna-believe of persecution.  For that matter, if it had to do with real persecution of Christians (either in the past or elsewhere in the world today), then it would be a different story, but instead, they picked the chain e-mail story of the professor debating a student about God and ultimately losing.  Not even because of the student's arguments, but because of purely emotional reasons that had nothing to do with the debate at all.

It's pure propaganda.  Fortunately, it's pretty dull propaganda; people who didn't already believe aren't going to be converted by this film, and at least some people who already believe are put off by how intellectually bankrupt it is.  But just watch as the number of chain e-mails this year double because of this film.
Worldviews:  Everyone has one, everyone believes them to be an accurate view of the world, and everyone ends up at least partially wrong.  However, some worldviews are stronger and well-supported, while others are so bizarre that they make no sense to anyone else.

Offline Mrjason

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +67/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 09:14:01 AM »
Yeah, as I said, it's an utterly dumb movie.  The only reason it might possibly succeed is because it speaks to the Christian wanna-believe of persecution.  For that matter, if it had to do with real persecution of Christians (either in the past or elsewhere in the world today), then it would be a different story, but instead, they picked the chain e-mail story of the professor debating a student about God and ultimately losing.  Not even because of the student's arguments, but because of purely emotional reasons that had nothing to do with the debate at all.

christianity promotes the habit of assuming a persecution complex in its followers. I suppose it cant be helped when one of the essential tenents of the religion is that there is a hugely powerful, extremely judgmental dude watching your every move

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +552/-22
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 09:38:30 AM »
I suppose it cant be helped when one of the essential tenents of the religion is that there is a hugely powerful, extremely judgmental dude watching your every move

I don't think that's it.  The god of the muslims is the same, yet no trace of a persecution complex. 

I think it is because the experience and culture of the early xians as recorded in the NT was one of persecution.  The jews in the first century were persecuted by the Romans, as were the proto-xians.  Sure, they (xians) eventually became dominant, but jesus and his back-up band were long dead and the writing had stopped by then.  So, everything that became canonical was from the perspective of the Omega Dog.  Nothing of the perspective of victorious xians who were oppressing the sht out of the pagans was recorded.  The xian experience was frozen when they were victims with revenge fantasies, and it shows 2000 years later.

The muslims had a similar experience as well, but that is not how they turned out because they also recorded their experience after they conquored and became dominant.  Mohammy had a "be meek and get along" phase when he was starting out too, just like jesus H.  BUT, he was alive and well to see his cult succeed and then oppress the sht out of everyone they touched.  And he was still adding to their canon at that point.  So their perspective is frozen with the perspective of Alpha Dog.  That also affects modern muslim culture and perspectives.  For many muslims their one point of pride and hubris is the "fact" that they have the One True Religion.  They have a superiority/ inferiority complex.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +271/-76
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 10:01:02 AM »
The only people, really, Protestants should feel persecuted by, if by anyone is Catholics. But if they want to get down to semantics: they should feel persecuted from their selves, but they need someone to blame, and the godless heathen is just as good.

-Nam

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +67/-1
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 10:09:41 AM »
I think they feel that finding persecution, even if it's almost entirely imagined, makes their faith seem that much more precious to them. It's a martyr complex...the Bible tells them (don't recall the exact wording, but I believe that there are several verses) that those who are persecuted are blessed; that such suffering is the mark of a Christian, and will be justly rewarded. There's prophecy about it, therefore it must exist.

Offline Mrjason

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +67/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 10:40:20 AM »
I think they feel that finding persecution, even if it's almost entirely imagined, makes their faith seem that much more precious to them. It's a martyr complex...the Bible tells them (don't recall the exact wording, but I believe that there are several verses) that those who are persecuted are blessed; that such suffering is the mark of a Christian, and will be justly rewarded. There's prophecy about it, therefore it must exist.

So can we add smugness to persecution complex? In fact could we say that they are smug about their persecution complex?

Edit; just to add, it helps that the persecuted are blessed when your leader, his mates and all of your early teachers are persecuted. Diocletian did them a massive favour if you think about it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 10:44:04 AM by Mrjason »

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +552/-22
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2014, 10:42:58 AM »
The only people, really, Protestants should feel persecuted by, if by anyone is Catholics.

Why should protestants feel persecuted by catholics? 

I find if anything it is the other way around.  Protestants were the first people to settle this country and they opposed immigration by catholics every step of the way.  One of the groups the KKK originally was against was catholics.  That the Irish were catholic was one reason (among many) they were resented.  Same with the Italians.

As a catholic, I never once heard a sermon that mentioned protestants one way or the other.  But I did attend a protestant service where the entire sermon was an anti-catholic diatribe.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Mrjason

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +67/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2014, 10:57:00 AM »

I find if anything it is the other way around. 

Here in England we annually celebrate the brutal torture, execution and dismemberment of a catholic freedom fighter.
Oh how the children laugh when we burn an effigy of him  :)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 11:02:40 AM by Mrjason »

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +271/-76
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2014, 02:07:56 PM »
The only people, really, Protestants should feel persecuted by, if by anyone is Catholics.

I find if anything it is the other way around.  Protestants were the first people to settle this country and they opposed immigration by catholics every step of the way.  One of the groups the KKK originally was against was catholics.  That the Irish were catholic was one reason (among many) they were resented.  Same with the Italians.

As a catholic, I never once heard a sermon that mentioned protestants one way or the other.  But I did attend a protestant service where the entire sermon was an anti-catholic diatribe.

Because Catholic-based films are better than protestant-based films. That, and, as you say, and I was taught at Baptist churches I intended these are horrible people destined for hell; whether Catholics persecute them, or not, is irrelevant they should feel persecuted by them the same as they feel persecuted by atheists.

As I said: the only ones who are actually persecuting them are themselves and since they are the ones who are persecuting themselves who else to hold the reins for the protestant but the Catholic?

-Nam

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +552/-22
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2014, 02:17:27 PM »
It's a martyr complex...

I think that is definitely a part of it.  Mary was (in a sense) a martyr.  Jesus H was a martyr.  The apostles were martyrs.  The proto-xians were martyrs.   But everyone loves a martyr, so I don't think that is uniquely xian.  The Shiites have their martyrs and a day where they cut their heads and shoulders until they bleed.  Several of the Sikh gurus were martyrs.  I was at a Sikh friend's house and he had a depiction of some sikh saint being sawn in half (from the groin up).  It weirded me out until I thought of the crucifix (with a little suffering jesus on it) hanging on my catholic granny's wall.  Same thing.

The whole xian mindset is that of a hated minority.  When you were a first century xian you couldn't preach going out and kicking Roman ass.  That would get you killed a la your messiah. 

You had to say things that would preserve your society, like "give to Caesar what is Caesar's" or "love your enemy" or "turn the other cheek" or "be nice to them, that will be like putting hot coals on their heads." 

You had to say things that would elevate this oppression to a virtue, like "you will be spit upon" or "you will be hated, just like baby jesus." 

You could preach ass kicking, but it had to be in the distant future - "the meek [meaning you] will inherit the earth!"  Or you had to say it cryptically, like in revelation, so no one, not even other xians, could figure out what the flip you were saying.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline SevenPatch

• Graduate
  • Darwins +68/-4
  • A source will help me understand.
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2014, 02:28:50 PM »
I don't think that's it.  The god of the muslims is the same, yet no trace of a persecution complex. 

I think it is because the experience and culture of the early xians as recorded in the NT was one of persecution.  The jews in the first century were persecuted by the Romans, as were the proto-xians.  Sure, they (xians) eventually became dominant, but jesus and his back-up band were long dead and the writing had stopped by then.  So, everything that became canonical was from the perspective of the Omega Dog.  Nothing of the perspective of victorious xians who were oppressing the sht out of the pagans was recorded.  The xian experience was frozen when they were victims with revenge fantasies, and it shows 2000 years later.

The muslims had a similar experience as well, but that is not how they turned out because they also recorded their experience after they conquored and became dominant.  Mohammy had a "be meek and get along" phase when he was starting out too, just like jesus H.  BUT, he was alive and well to see his cult succeed and then oppress the sht out of everyone they touched.  And he was still adding to their canon at that point.  So their perspective is frozen with the perspective of Alpha Dog.  That also affects modern muslim culture and perspectives.  For many muslims their one point of pride and hubris is the "fact" that they have the One True Religion.  They have a superiority/ inferiority complex.

Perhaps this is my fault, but I seem to be having trouble telling the difference between a persecution complex and a superiority/inferiority complex in regards to Muslims.

Why is it that Muslims get very upset when an image of Mohammad is used in a joke or parody?  Is that part of the superiority/inferiority complex?  I thought it was part of a persecution complex based on interviews I've seen of Muslims questioning why the "Western world is out to attack Islam".

IMO I would say that both the Christian and Islam religions have both a persecution complex and superiority/inferiority complex.

Doesn't this trace back to Europe and the confrontations between Protestant and Catholic nations over the past thousand years or so which did migrate in one form or another to the 'New World'?
"Shut him up! We have a lot invested in this ride - SHUT HIM UP! Look at my furrows of worry! Look at my big bank account, and my family! This just HAS to be real!" - Bill Hicks

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +441/-11
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2014, 02:46:42 PM »
Doesn't this trace back to Europe and the confrontations between Protestant and Catholic nations over the past thousand years or so which did migrate in one form or another to the 'New World'?
Protestants haven't even been around for 500 years yet (Martin Luther nailed his list of theses to a church door in 1517).  But you're right that it was hate at first sight; Protestants and Catholics tended to kill people first and ask questions (like, "are you actually a Protestant/Catholic") later.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +552/-22
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2014, 02:57:33 PM »
Perhaps this is my fault, but I seem to be having trouble telling the difference between a persecution complex and a superiority/inferiority complex in regards to Muslims.

As I understand it (and I definitely could be wrong), a persecution complex is when a person sees him or her self as the target of persecution when none is evident. 

A superiority complex is more or less the same as an inferiority complex.  An inferiority complex is when a person has low esteem and overcompensates by acting like an overconfident, superior dingus. 

I see muslims[1] as falling in the s/i complex.  They cannot help but see their countries as horrid places, but that does not comport with their belief that they are the best people in the world becuase of their religion.  Creates cognitive dissonance.  They feel like they should dominate the world as they once did, but they aren't. So they get mad and feel badly about themselves and blame it on everyone else.

I've not seen many muslims complain about perseution without good reason.

Why is it that Muslims get very upset when an image of Mohammad is used in a joke or parody?

I'd say it was because this is one of their taboos that they think is backed by god.  It is like how some Americans get all twisted because someone burns a flag.  They've fetishized the flag and to them it is a sacred object. 

I thought it was part of a persecution complex based on interviews I've seen of Muslims questioning why the "Western world is out to attack Islam".

In all fairness, if I were muslim I might think the same thing. We put troops in Saudi Arabia (let's be honest, we put them all over the globe).  We attack Iraq twice, occupy it once. We attack and occupy afghanistan.  We drone the sht out of pakistan, yemen and goodness knows where else.  We have been hostile to Iran for 40 years, and that was after overthrowing their democratically elected government and installing a brutal, totalitarian Shah.  It is discovered that the CIA (or whatever intel group) posed as doctors without borders[2], so now many muslims eschew vaccination for their kids. 

I assume, but I do not know the specifics of it.
 1. not all of them, but in general
 2. http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2011/07/cia-gets-back-game
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline SevenPatch

• Graduate
  • Darwins +68/-4
  • A source will help me understand.
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2014, 02:58:51 PM »
Protestants haven't even been around for 500 years yet (Martin Luther nailed his list of theses to a church door in 1517).  But you're right that it was hate at first sight; Protestants and Catholics tended to kill people first and ask questions (like, "are you actually a Protestant/Catholic") later.

Right, I was way off on the last thousand years part.  I did get the impression that neither liked each other during the 16th through perhaps the 18th centuries.  Not that everything is great now, I assume there is still some bad blood left over from the initial conflicts between the two.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 03:01:40 PM by SevenPatch »
"Shut him up! We have a lot invested in this ride - SHUT HIM UP! Look at my furrows of worry! Look at my big bank account, and my family! This just HAS to be real!" - Bill Hicks

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +552/-22
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2014, 07:48:44 PM »
17% fresh on rotten tomatoes, yet 87% liked it.  Reflects the audience I suppose.  Still it peeves me this piece of crap has grossed as much as Grand Budapest Hotel.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials