Author Topic: Susan Blackmore lecture fail..  (Read 71 times)

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +222/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburgerâ„¢
Susan Blackmore lecture fail..
« on: August 21, 2014, 11:34:10 AM »
https://richarddawkins.net/2014/08/a-hundred-walked-out-of-my-lecture/

Is the reason her lecture failed because she didn't understand that young people are full of shit, or because she didn't realise that memes were designed to bash religions, and there's no polite way of putting it ?

It appears to me that memes that could be subject to evidence based observations, will have to suddenly stop, when some undeniable fact comes along.

Whereas, a significant number of memes, religion included, can avoid hitting the wall, because there are never any facts involved. Christianity hit a major hurdle, when people discovered that the world was very old, but continues to hurtle, like a train carriage with no wheels, because of extensive history and sheer demand.

A danger is that there are no such limitations on Islam, because Mohammed didn't make enough theoretical mistakes when formulating the religion. It's difficult to say anything against Islam, besides that the prophet was a sexist pedophile, and a war monger. But apparently, that's not a bad thing, when you are an ignorant violent twit.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +331/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Susan Blackmore lecture fail..
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 05:20:28 PM »
After reading the article it seems she began swinging before warming up. Plus, the average religious person hold to their beliefs based upon the constant indoctrination. Beating on them in the beginning just makes you[1] the ass, not them for walking out. Hell, I probably would've walked out, too.

-Nam
 1. generalisation
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 07:00:21 PM »
I'm surprised that a university setting would have students with this reaction, especially in the UK where people are generally more godless than the US.

Well, 30 years ago I was in college (first time around) and in my philosophy class we debated abortion. It was civil. I do remember 3-4  people having a problem with the discussion, two were being quite vocal (anti-abortion), one was silent and one was on the fence (kept relatively quiet). In other class times we discussed god, reality, proof of existence, etc. Except for abortion, no one expressed offense to other topics -- skepticism, dislike, perhaps, but not offense.

If the sponsor of her lecture identifies as a Christian (and would appear by her remarks that he took offense) and if he knew she was a "vociferous atheist", I do question whether he set her up in advance with people walking out just to make his point.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +222/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburgerâ„¢
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 10:00:17 PM »
I remember university and the end of school. It's a time of idealism, and a lot of evangelical zeal. It takes discussion with a lot of more rational people around university, before you realise that your view has some flaws.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.