Author Topic: Republican in the forefront on not understanding what the Bill of Rights says  (Read 576 times)

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
Washington D.C. - The U.S. House has approved a measure that bars the Defense Department from appointing atheist chaplains. The vote, late Tuesday, was 253-173.

"The notion of an atheist chaplain is nonsensical; it's an oxymoron," said Rep. John Fleming, R-Minden, sponsor of the amendment to a House defense spending bill. He said it marks the third time the House has voted to insist the Pentagon appoint only chaplains certified by endorsing religious agencies.

Opponents said it is wrong to take away the flexibility of the military to appoint chaplains that can serve the spiritual needs of all military personnel.

"When a young man or young woman raises their right hand and swears allegiance to this country and agrees to serve in the Armed Forces, they do not consign themselves to serve as a second-class citizen, irrespective of their faith or their life philosophy," said Rep. Rob Andrews, D-N.J. "It is wrong to say to a solider who comes from such a tradition, that he or she, if they have an issue on which they're troubled, must go to a mental health professional in order to receive counseling, rather than someone who comes from their philosophical faith or tradition."

Fleming disputed the criticism from Andrews and other opponents of his amendment that his amendment discriminates against so-called secular humanists.

"It is absurd to argue that someone with no spiritual inclination should fill that role, especially when it could well mean that such an individual would take the place of a true chaplain who has been endorsed by a religious organization," Fleming said. "Opponents of my amendment make vastly exaggerated claims about the religious demographics of the military."

Fleming said less than one percent of service members identify themselves as atheists, "and all chaplains stand ready to serve any member of the Armed Forces, regardless of whether he or she shares the chaplain's faith."

The House also approved, this time by voice vote, an amendment by Rep. Steve Scalise, R-Jefferson, that bars the Defense Department from entering into new contracts to procure or produce biofuels. He said that the alternative fuels are too expensive.

"In this post-sequestration time of tight Defense Department budgets, the Navy should not be wasting $170 million to prop-up the biofuels industry, especially at a time when Defense Secretary (Chuck) Hagel is significantly reducing training and maintenance of operating forces," Scalise said. "It only makes sense for the U.S. military to use the most cost-effective fuel options available, but unfortunately that has not recently been the case within the Department of Defense. In tough economic times every dollar counts."

The defense bill allocates $512.5 billion for the 2014 fiscal year, beginning Oct 1, $26.2 billon above current funding levels after the budget sequestration, plus an additional $85.8 billion for overseas contingency operations.

It also includes a 1.8 percent pay raise for military personnel.

The Republican-written bill would continue the congressional prohibition against transfer of Guantanamo, Cuba, detainees to the United States.

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-32
Fleming said less than one percent of service members identify themselves as atheists ...

Given the culture in the American military, if I found myself there, I'd probably not self-identify as an atheist either.
I have not encountered any mechanical malfunctioning in my spirit.  It works every single time I need it to.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
So...does that mean they will get to the jobs, jobs, jobs bill next? :(
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
Fleming said less than one percent of service members identify themselves as atheists

Key words there are "identify themselves".  How many service members say they are Christian just so they don't get hazed by fellow Privates or upper ranks?

"...all chaplains stand ready to serve any member of the Armed Forces, regardless of whether he or she shares the chaplain's faith."

The Congressman contradicted himself here.  If "all chaplains stand read to serve any member" including atheist service members then why does the faith or lack thereof matter on the part of the chaplain?

Know what I mean?
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +335/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Well, by their logic they should get rid of all clergy in the armed forces but one. I mean if one can represent atheists then one can represent Muslims, and Jews, and any other religion not Christianity.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
How about the guy from MASH.  He could cover all the bases.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
I don't think the concept of atheist Chaplains will work .... instead of facilitating prayerful acceptance they'll actually ask the Defense Department to fix the problems  :o
Git mit uns

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +335/-85

I like him but he's fictional and most likely unrealistic.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +335/-85
I don't think the concept of atheist Chaplains will work .... instead of facilitating prayerful acceptance they'll actually ask the Defense Department to fix the problems  :o

I don't know why Repubes are so against this. They keep saying, "it's a religion" yet here they can actually make it so. Then their nonsense can have some weight to it.

-Nam

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs

I loved Father Mulcahy. Whenever radical catholics piss me off I remember that I've actually met a few catholics who might be as sweet as his character was.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +335/-85
The pugilist priest.

-Nam

Offline Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +77/-1
Does the position of military chaplain count as an "office or public trust under the United States"? If so, then this is a violation of article 6 of the Constitution, the third paragraph of which reads:

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the members of the several state legislatures, and all executive and judicial officers, both of the United States and of the several states, shall be bound by oath or affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +335/-85
^old news.

-Nam