Author Topic: earthfreak/Pam  (Read 1111 times)

Offline earthfreak

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
earthfreak/Pam
« on: July 24, 2013, 05:12:55 PM »
Hey.

I signed up here a while ago, but haven't been active (to say the least)

I'm over on IGI and PamM.

I'm an atheist Quaker, not sure what else to say

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
Re: earthfreak/Pam
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 05:33:52 PM »
Hi Pam and welcome back!!!  ;D
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 05:56:59 PM »
Hi, earthfreak, welcome to WWGHA.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +732/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 07:07:00 PM »
Welcome Pam.

If you weren't an atheist quaker, but rather a believing one, would you have a hard time communicating with us, because of the computer thing? Or are there exceptions?
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 07:17:34 PM »
If you weren't an atheist quaker, but rather a believing one, would you have a hard time communicating with us, because of the computer thing? Or are there exceptions?

I think you're thinking of the Amish, aren't you?  The avoiding modern technology thing?  The Quakers don't have this anti-technology doctrine.  (Witness Richard Nixon's enthusiastic use of tape recorders, for example).
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 07:37:51 PM »
Yup, what pianodwarf said. I know several quakers (both in real life and online). There are no tech limitations like there are for Amish (and perhaps Mennonites?). Even the very conservative ones will use computers.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +732/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 07:57:42 PM »

I think you're thinking of the Amish, aren't you?  The avoiding modern technology thing?  The Quakers don't have this anti-technology doctrine.  (Witness Richard Nixon's enthusiastic use of tape recorders, for example).

Ah, you're right. And my apologies to earthfreak. Please excuse the fact that, as an atheist, I am not an expert on all forms of religion.

I would have known the difference had I seen the names of both religions at the same time, but I have this issue with senior moments from time to time (like always) and I messed up. I'll check Wikipedia next time, i promise. If I remember.

Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +75/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 08:02:01 PM »
Welcome back, earthfreak. I was raised more Quaker than anything else; my mother still occasionally goes to Meeting.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 08:51:51 PM »
welcome earthfreak!
I love oatmeal!   :laugh:
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Doubt

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 09:18:38 PM »
Welcome... are you an active Quaker, just out of curiosity?  Do you attend services (unprogrammed, I assume?), and if so, are you an "out" atheist?

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 09:23:10 PM »
I appreciate the oatmeal and Peanut Butter Capn Crunch!

Welcome aboard!

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 09:43:28 PM »
PamM!

Do I know you? No really, I'm asking...

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 07:34:47 AM »
Hello earthfreak and welcome to the forum.  I am a theist so I really don't consider this my forum I am a guest here.  I do like to meet new members.

Nice to Meet You,

Junebug72
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 07:41:10 AM »
I am a theist so I really don't consider this my forum I am a guest here.

I hope you don't really feel this way.  The last thing in the world that I personally would want is for a believer to think that this is an "atheist forum" and that they therefore cannot ever really be a "member" of the forum.  I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd hazard a guess that most of the other atheists here would say the same thing.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 10:25:38 AM »
Junebug, by my book you are definitely a member.  :)

Offline earthfreak

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2013, 12:18:47 PM »
Welcome... are you an active Quaker, just out of curiosity?  Do you attend services (unprogrammed, I assume?), and if so, are you an "out" atheist?

Yes, I belong to a liberal Quaker (politically liberal, but it has its own meaning within Quakerism as well - one part being more likelihood of accepting atheists)  meeting in St. Paul, MN.    I am "out" - though not very vocal.  I don't know if someone was trying to list off atheists in meeting if they'd name me at all (I suppose depends on who) - there are one, or perhaps two or three, that would spring immediately to mind for many, and I'm pretty sure I"m not among them.

Offline earthfreak

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2013, 12:20:38 PM »
Thanks everyone!

Junebug, I would hope that there are no doctrinal requirements for membership here?

Nam, I'm pretty sure I don't know you in real life.  I think we had some pretty good exchanges over on IGI

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2013, 01:53:52 PM »
Junebug... are you saying you didn't get the toaster when you joined?

Earthfreak... I'm fully closeted, and I'm in a So. Baptist church where they will tell you they have amazing abilities to spot the heathens and convert them.
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2013, 06:01:59 PM »
Thanks everyone!

Junebug, I would hope th5at there are no doctrinal requirements for membership here?

Nam, I'm pretty sure I don't know you in real life.  I think we had some pretty good exchanges over on IGI

That's what I meant. I'm not as nice here as I was there. Ask anyone. ;) so if I say something that angers you, don't take it too personal; just being me.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2013, 07:52:22 AM »
Well thanks guys.  That means a lot. 

Earthfreak,

Welcome to the forum.  There is no doctrinal requirements that I'm aware of.
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +280/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2013, 07:54:18 AM »
Welcome to the forum.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline earthfreak

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2013, 02:46:32 PM »
Earthfreak... I'm fully closeted, and I'm in a So. Baptist church where they will tell you they have amazing abilities to spot the heathens and convert them.

Wow, sorry.   I saw you have another thread on that, I will try to catch up.

I can't imagine being "closeted" (I am also queer, and somewhat closeted in some situations, but overall, not really at all) - must be hard.

I love the word "heathen"  - we actually have a group of nontheists that meets monthly at my meeting.  Its official name is "quakers without god" but for a while we were referring to ourselves as "heathen quakers" internally, which resonated so much better.    Quakers believe in direct experience of God being very important, and not predictable.   We also value honestly (like, officially)  - there's not a lot of pressure to explain your experience of spirituality, but with most of us, in my circles, anything that's not harmful to others is greeted with respect, or at least tolerance.  That's why I love us :)

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2013, 04:16:29 PM »
Plus the oatmeal. ;)

-Nam

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2013, 06:38:15 PM »

I love the word "heathen"  - we actually have a group of nontheists that meets monthly at my meeting.  Its official name is "quakers without god" but for a while we were referring to ourselves as "heathen quakers" internally, which resonated so much better.   

HA! - When I picked my name on here, I was going to go with NeoHeathen... but it seemed hard to say. So although pagan isn't really what I am, it worked well since someone I know quite well erroneously refers to all non-christians as pagans!

Offline earthfreak

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2013, 09:15:32 PM »
actually it's my limited understanding that both "heathen" and "pagan" originally just meant "non-christian" and that actually both of them etymologically mean "country folk" more or less (so, people geographically more outside the reach of the town church) 

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2013, 09:24:04 PM »
well... either one works for me now.  :laugh: