Author Topic: A Better God - Create Your Own Deity  (Read 863 times)

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
A Better God - Create Your Own Deity
« on: July 22, 2013, 11:32:54 AM »
The God of the Jews, Christians, and Muslims is a sick, vile, disgusting, immoral monster - and I think most of us on WWGHAF agree. Fact is, I wouldn't want to live anywhere near a universe where this Yahweh/Allah deity existed, and for some here that makes me an anti-theist (which is fine by me). With that said, I thought it would be fun to concoct a deity idea that would be far better than any of these primitive, pre-scientific, chauvinistic, psychophant created gods of old.

Here are some of the traits for my envisioned god character. Make up your own or add what you would like!

Deity Name: BLARKE

1. BETTER CHOICE - Prior to placing it's creations anywhere (like on a planet), Blarke gives free choice to any of it's potential "children". It shows each individual all of the most significant potential possibilities and/or outcomes that might arise from their being created/born (such as poverty and death before age 5)  and allows that they decide whether they wish to "live" (or actualize) any of those potentialities (with all the good/bad) by means of being created and/or placed into physical reality while honoring their choice either way (physical existence, other possible existence, or annihilation).

2. LAVISH DEMONSTRABLILITY - Blarke openly and publicly communicates and interacts with that which it has created. No faith is required. Instead of sitting back with indifference as millions suffer and/or die unnecessary deaths (relying upon dusty books for message sending), Blarke "checks-in" (on the same plane of existence), communes with, teaches, assists, and truly demonstrates undeniable existence and love to that which it has created (very much like a truly loving father or mother does with his/her son or daughter).

3. ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER - Blarke does not reward credulity or cherish belief over deeds. It actively allows it's creations to choose their own paths, seek evidence, practice rationality and good critical thinking without punishment, and (provided that they are generally not harming others) allows them to do as they wish - to explore, learn, challenge authority, and do what makes them happy (all without judgment or threat). In this sense, actions truly speaker louder than words.

4. RIGHT CONTRACTUAL PARTICIPATION - Blarke has no moto or absolute laws like, "Do unto others..." instead it recommends (and teaches) it's creation to consider as many of the facts in a situation as possible in making moral judgments and reminds created beings that the essence of morality is about maximizing well-being for all and not about "obeying". Actions have consequences and our accountability is to one another.

5. KINDNESS OVER WORSHIP - Blarke does not require or wish for "worship" or "praise" of any kind. It simply IS and does not need adoration. It simply wants it's creation to be happy, to thrive, to live in peace, to have great experiences, and to learn and grow. We can choose to have friendship/communication with Blarke, or not. Either way is our choice and though neither is the "wrong" way it is both publicly available and beneficial for us to do so.

6. EQUAL TREATMENT - Blarke does not play favorites by creating some beings "lesser" (as in children with down syndrome or cancer) and some beings "greater" (as in the Jewish "chosen ones"). Creation is evident, demonstrable, non-controversial (in as much as water or gravity), and each created beings is truly well from the beginning.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +355/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
Re: A Better God - Create Your Own Deity
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 12:17:01 PM »
The God of the Jews, Christians, and Muslims is a sick, vile, disgusting, immoral monster - and I think most of us on WWGHAF agree. Fact is, I wouldn't want to live anywhere near a universe where this Yahweh/Allah deity existed, and for some here that makes me an anti-theist (which is fine by me). With that said, I thought it would be fun to concoct a deity idea that would be far better than any of these primitive, pre-scientific, chauvinistic, psychophant created gods of old.

Here are some of the traits for my envisioned god character. Make up your own or add what you would like!

Deity Name: BLARKE

1. BETTER CHOICE - Prior to placing it's creations anywhere (like on a planet), Blarke gives free choice to any of it's potential "children". It shows each individual all of the most significant potential possibilities and/or outcomes that might arise from their being created/born (such as poverty and death before age 5)  and allows that they decide whether they wish to "live" (or actualize) any of those potentialities (with all the good/bad) by means of being created and/or placed into physical reality while honoring their choice either way (physical existence, other possible existence, or annihilation).

2. LAVISH DEMONSTRABLILITY - Blarke openly and publicly communicates and interacts with that which it has created. No faith is required. Instead of sitting back with indifference as millions suffer and/or die unnecessary deaths (relying upon dusty books for message sending), Blarke "checks-in" (on the same plane of existence), communes with, teaches, assists, and truly demonstrates undeniable existence and love to that which it has created (very much like a truly loving father or mother does with his/her son or daughter).

3. ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER - Blarke does not reward credulity or cherish belief over deeds. It actively allows it's creations to choose their own paths, seek evidence, practice rationality and good critical thinking without punishment, and (provided that they are generally not harming others) allows them to do as they wish - to explore, learn, challenge authority, and do what makes them happy (all without judgment or threat). In this sense, actions truly speaker louder than words.

4. RIGHT CONTRACTUAL PARTICIPATION - Blarke has no moto or absolute laws like, "Do unto others..." instead it recommends (and teaches) it's creation to consider as many of the facts in a situation as possible in making moral judgments and reminds created beings that the essence of morality is about maximizing well-being for all and not about "obeying". Actions have consequences and our accountability is to one another.

5. KINDNESS OVER WORSHIP - Blarke does not require or wish for "worship" or "praise" of any kind. It simply IS and does not need adoration. It simply wants it's creation to be happy, to thrive, to live in peace, to have great experiences, and to learn and grow. We can choose to have friendship/communication with Blarke, or not. Either way is our choice and though neither is the "wrong" way it is both publicly available and beneficial for us to do so.

6. EQUAL TREATMENT - Blarke does not play favorites by creating some beings "lesser" (as in children with down syndrome or cancer) and some beings "greater" (as in the Jewish "chosen ones"). Creation is evident, demonstrable, non-controversial (in as much as water or gravity), and each created beings is truly well from the beginning.
7. Sounds like James Mason.

Interesting list of traits though.  I could stand behind a lot of those.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."
- Eddie Izzard

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 12:25:41 PM »
Me.
'nuff said.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 09:37:25 AM »
Me.
'nuff said.

That would probably be fine. You're probably a decent guy with decent ideas and it is most likely the case that I would worship what I consider to be a good human being before worshiping the Yahweh deity. In either case, what are your traits?

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 10:00:31 AM »
<snip>
In either case, what are your traits?

One Above All's traits:

• Values truth above all else.
  • Thinks all life[1] should be preserved, except in the case where one's own life is at risk.
  • Thinks free will should be preserved, within reason.
  • Thinks every action should cause as little harm to other beings as possible.
  • Thinks everyone[2] should have equal rights.
  • Loves the Latin language for reasons unknown to mortals.
  • Thinks personality is infinitely more important than looks and gender.
  • Immortal/Invincible.
  • Omnipotent.[3]
  • Omniscient.

There are more, but I can't think of any right now.
 1. Yes, even bacteria. Viruses and such are a different case. I don't consider them living beings.
 2. Black, White, Asian, Native American, heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, asexual, christian, muslim, mormon, buddhist, atheist, et cetera.
 3. In the sense that I can do anything that can be done.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 10:06:54 AM »
While I am 100% behind it being easy to create a better god than Yahweh, I think that stage 1 needs to be "what does Blarke (or whoever) want from their people - and what does Blarke want their people to have"?

The answer to the first is easy - for an omnimax god, Blarke would want or need nothing from his creation.  Being an ultimate, he would have no needs in the first place.  So the primary question would be "what does Blarke want his creation to have"?

Assuming that Blarke is ultimately benevolent, then the answer again is simple - he wants them to be happy.  Note that he does not want them to be good, necessarily - in human terms, more people being good tends towards more people being happy, but remember that Blarke has ultimate power.  If a person is happiest sitting on the couch watching TV and doing nothing for his fellow man, then Blarke is fine with that.  So long as that person is happy, all is fine.

What makes people happy?  Obviously it varies, but in general terms it is being safe, and warm, and well fed.  Having no worries, good companionship, fun stuff to do, good health.

So what could Blarke do to make those things so?  He would create a world where food and drink are not required.  They may exist, as nice things to stick in your face, but if one day there was no food....no problem. 

The world would be a nice constant temperate climate, all year round (maybe snow at Christmas), so even if you had no roof over your head....no problem.

Health problems would not exist.  No viruses, no bacteria, no plague.  No degenerative conditions, no bone disorders, no cancer, no alzheimers, no cold, no flu....just health.  Would people age?  Possibly - you'd go through adulthood and perhaps plateau at a spry 70-80.

Would you DIE?  Well, Blarke would ask himself, "why?"  Death makes people sad - and in his wonderful world, there is no afterlife to aspire to, so where's the point in death?  Blarke could make the world as large as it needs to be - heck, he could keep adding extensions if need be.  No worries about space when you are an omnimax god!

So, what about bad people?  Erm....what are these bad people being bad FOR?  Everybody has all their basic needs accounted for, so a whole lot of crime would be removed.  Blarke created no addictive drugs, so there are no junkies.  And Blarke, being god, ensures that EVERYONE has the correct balance of chemicals in their brains, the same levels of empathy for others.  Result?  No psycopaths, everyone genuinely caring for other people because that's the way they are.  We know enough about brains to know that adding or subtracting chemicals can dramatically alter people's states - Blarke makes sure everyone is born with the right setup.

The overall result is that Blarke created a world where everyone is predisposed to help others, where all basic needs are eliminated, and hence where 99% of all reason for crime is gone.  And crucially, Blarke keeps an eye on his creation.  If he seems someone who is out of whack, who doesn't grok the whole "be excellent to one another" thing, he steps in immediately.  He comes to see them in person, finds out where the problem is, and takes immediate action if necessary.  But I'm not sure how often that would be required.  In a world where your needs are met, where you are healthy, well-adjusted, and happy.....its hard to see where these "bad guys" would come from.

That's my Blarke.  A benevolent, omnimax deity who works out what makes his creation happy and directs his attention towards keeping them that way - rather than being so petty a "god" as to require the reverse to be true.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 06:55:47 PM »
^^^ A very nice reply to this OP Anfauglir :)

I like the idea that if Blarke did exist, and had created us and/or the universe we now experience, it would have done so with all basic needs provided for (i.e. - food/drink not needed, no disasters, no decease, no infant mortality rate, etc). But I anticipate some objections from the religionists!

1. God doesn't need/want anything. Those are just words for our benefit so we will follow his holy way

2. It would be so boring if we took away the bad and left the "good" (not convincing to me - how about getting rid of the "big" bad stuff but leave the stuff that helps us learn w/out devastation?)

3. God has a "plan" (for our redemption) and we can't understand it fully but we have to go with it regardless b/c he is "King" (Kim Jong Il, in my book)

4. A fantasy God isn't the real God. Obey Jesus or pay the price!

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +49/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 09:32:25 PM »
Woe to those who've forgotten the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

For shame.

Ramen.  :angel:
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +125/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 11:03:37 PM »
Woe to those who've forgotten the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

For shame.

Ramen.  :angel:

I found, this old, old quote of mine...

I do consider myself a christian although pastafarianism sounds very appealing and I'm pretty sure my dog thinks I'm god.

Sorry, Jesus, have fun with Santa.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 03:16:25 AM »
^^^ A very nice reply to this OP Anfauglir :) ..... I anticipate some objections from the religionists!

Thanks Median - let me see if I can cover them.

1. God doesn't need/want anything. Those are just words for our benefit so we will follow his holy way
Well, quite.  Hence a Proper God would neither need nor want prayer, or worship.  Nor would it need or want anything from its creations, except - assuming it was a benevolent god - it would have the desire for its creation to be as happy as possible.  I think I've covered that with my Blarke - that everything it does would be clearly and demonstrably for the welfare of its creation.

2. It would be so boring if we took away the bad and left the "good" (not convincing to me - how about getting rid of the "big" bad stuff but leave the stuff that helps us learn w/out devastation?)

Maybe - except, isn't that the definition of heaven, where we will apparently spend 99.9999999% of our existence?  Sorry, that argument holds no water at all. 

3. God has a "plan" (for our redemption) and we can't understand it fully but we have to go with it regardless b/c he is "King" (Kim Jong Il, in my book)

I addresses this in another thread, about this whole "we cannot understand" nonsense.  If we can't understand, there are basically two reasons why this might be.

Firstly, that we don't understand now, but will understand in the future.  If that's the case, then what will change?  Either facts will be revealed later that make things clear, or we will in some way be changed so that we can understand.  With the first, this means that any misunderstandings (and hence, all religious wars, inqusitions, crusades, etc) are the direct fault of this god, who is/has withheld this knowledge - because if we "got" it, away would go all the arguments and confusion and strife that they cause.  So clearly a loving god can be withholding nothing.

The second alternative is that all the facts are available, but that we are not in a state to understand them.  I will presume that NO Christian alive is in that state, because nono ever say "well, actually I DO understand exactly what god's plan is in all its facets".  Therefore, it is (presumably) a state that we cannot attain until after death....when it is, of course, too late.  Who created the rules?  God did (apparently) - which means that, as above, all the confusion and strife is directly attributable to god.  Whether through withholding of knowledge, or in the setup of the world, god has ensured we will not be able to understand his plan.

Personally, I have a deep, deep distrust of anyone who says "I'm doing all this for your own good - but I'm not going to explain why in any way you can understand".  Which leads neatly onto the last point.....

4. A fantasy God isn't the real God. Obey Jesus or pay the price!

So there is a benevolent god, who wants good things for us.  But it has made sure we cannot understand it, and if we choose wrong we will suffer forever?  Sorry, but no - that second sentence simple cannot follow from the first. 

The only conceivable way that the loving god could exist is if - after death - we (somehow) receive that full understanding of everything it was trying to do.  We see the big picture, and we grok the whole thing.  It all makes sense, we see how right it all was, and how god is, after all, super and loving and a Proper God.....and THEN, in full possession of all the facts, we can decide whether we follow him or not.

Trouble is......if there IS an understanding where everything DOES make sense.....then logically everyone will choose god at that point.  And if that is what is going to happen.....then everything that goes on on this world is utterly, utterly irrelevant.  Choose god now, or choose god after death, if we all go to heaven and all grok god in the end, then all the misery and suffering that goes on here is meaningless.  And we're right back to the problem of a "loving" god who knows everything will turn out right in the end, but who still lets people go through all the hardships on earth without any point to it at all.

That's not a Proper God.  That's a sadistic trickster, and not a god I'm going to choose to follow.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Online jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +87/-1
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 08:47:09 AM »
Interesting lists, and useful attributes for a god which might actually exist.

But since mythologies, and the gods inhabiting them, get developed as much to explain the crappy things which exist or tragic occurrences as they do to explain things like creation,  a truly benevolent god is pretty much useless in the major scheme of things.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 10:23:56 AM »
<snip>
One Above All's traits:

• Values truth above all else.
  • Thinks all life[1] should be preserved, except in the case where one's own life is at risk.
  • Thinks free will should be preserved, within reason.
  • Thinks every action should cause as little harm to other beings as possible.
  • Thinks everyone[2] should have equal rights.
  • Loves the Latin language for reasons unknown to mortals.
  • Thinks personality is infinitely more important than looks and gender.
  • Immortal/Invincible.
  • Omnipotent.[3]
  • Omniscient.
<snip>
 1. Yes, even bacteria. Viruses and such are a different case. I don't consider them living beings.
 2. Black, White, Asian, Native American, heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, asexual, christian, muslim, mormon, buddhist, atheist, et cetera.
 3. In the sense that I can do anything that can be done.

More traits[4]:
  • Does not require or demand worship.
  • Has a master plan that will be fulfilled, regardless of external or internal interference, ending with a glorious future for one single sentient being in the entire universe.
  • Did not create an afterlife, good or bad. What you see is what you get.
  • Created free will.
  • Does not require anything.
  • Is a great cook.
  • Loves most genres of human music.
  • Is a great listener.
 4. AKA shameless attempt to revive this thread.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 10:28:33 AM by One Above All »
We choose our own gods.

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +89/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 10:36:56 AM »
I'll help you revive this one then One Above All...

My deity would be totally hands off for the duration of mortal life but would kick in when it ends.
Mortal life would be like a test that you couldn't fail and the judgment would be like a public sector pay appraisal. i.e. the big guy sits you down and says "well you fucked up a bit there didn't you? Nevermind, you still get a gold star but you're going to have to deal with your own conscience for the rest of eternity. good luck with that Mr Hitler ;)"

Offline G-Roll

• Graduate
  • Darwins +42/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 12:13:31 PM »
I thought this was pretty much what theists did already. Just take the Jesus template and give him all the happy, loving, logical, and friendly nice guy traits you think he should have. Regardless of what his book said. It's not like it was his biography.

Offline Bereft_of_Faith

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +39/-2
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2013, 02:05:53 AM »
I don't need a 'good' god.  I need a goddess.  Aloof, powerful, imperious, demanding, unforgiving, quick to anger and so mesmerizing in form, presence and beauty that I'd be willing to serve her for the rest of what remains of my life.*

* I have recently come to realize that these qualities are those which my adopting mother has always reversed into overly needful, powerless, fearful, petty, nagging, etc.  My desire for the kind of goddess I described is nothing more than an unfulfilled infantile yearning for what I have imagined my birth mother to be.  It is faulty reasoning, to be sure, but has shaped my desires throughout my life.  All of the 'great' or unforgettable women in my life had some subset of these attributes.  Despite knowing the roots of my desires, I am willing to nurse them now that I am past the age where real relationships with women are a probability.   i can afford this delusion, regardless of its roots, since there are no gods or goddesses of any kind.  As my adopting mother might say: 'Call me pisher'