Author Topic: The Berenstain Bears Promotes Religion  (Read 631 times)

Offline anthony_retford

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
The Berenstain Bears Promotes Religion
« on: July 22, 2013, 08:43:28 AM »
I was reading some books I got from the library and one of them was "Good Deed Scouts to the Rescue." There were three stories and I began reading only to find religion thrown in at the beginning of each story and at the end. Obviously the authors Jan and Mike Berenstain want to promote religion but I object to this underhand way of pushing it in children's books.

Also I believe it is high time to rescue children from religion. Is it possible to institute a class action lawsuit to prevent kids from being indoctrinated into religion via Sunday schools? They have no choice in the matter after all. And the process screws up so many children. Why not bring an action and challenge Sunday schools to show evidence that what they teach is true and supported by facts? They can't do that. It should be a slam dunk.
People are 'erroneously confident' in their knowledge and underestimate the odds that their information or beliefs will be proved wrong. They tend to seek additional information in ways that confirm what they already believe.
Max Bazenman, Harvard University

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
Re: The Berenstain Bears Promotes Religion
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 01:17:01 PM »
It looks like the Berenstains bears have found jeezus, via their newest author, son Mike Berenstain.  Good to know there will now be bears in heaven. Just be sure not to call anyone bald or it could get ugly...

Over the years, my parents and I often heard from Christian families how much they appreciate the values-based themes of our books. By dealing with religion through the fun and laughter of the Berenstain Bears, we hope to nurture these families in their goal of raising children secure in their faith.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/books/2010/10/the-berenstain-bears-get-an-app-and-find-god.html
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 01:18:44 PM by neopagan »
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 02:05:21 PM »
Damn. I used to love the Berenstain Bears. :(
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Star Stuff

• Darwins +146/-2
  • Carbon-based life form.
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 02:28:25 PM »
Also I believe it is high time to rescue children from religion. Is it possible to institute a class action lawsuit to prevent kids from being indoctrinated into religion via Sunday schools? They have no choice in the matter after all. And the process screws up so many children. Why not bring an action and challenge Sunday schools to show evidence that what they teach is true and supported by facts? They can't do that. It should be a slam dunk.

I agree.  Similar to a thread I started a long time ago:

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,12411.0.html
God is an Imaginary Friend for Grown-ups

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 02:36:44 PM »

Over the years, my parents and I often heard from Christian families how much they appreciate the values-based themes of our books. By dealing with religion through the fun and laughter of the Berenstain Bears, we hope to nurture these families in their goal of raising children secure in their faith.

You notice how he says they heard from "Christian families" over the years?   Basically, he's giving a big f-off to anyone who happened to like the BBs but isn't one of his ilk... 
Having read and reread a bunch of these - usually bleary-eyed and spattered with spit up (hey, when I get drunk I like to read about bears  :o), I'm glad my brood is finally out of the BBs stage. 
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Online JeffPT

• Reader
  • Darwins +221/-0
  • I'm a lead farmer mutha fucka
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 02:57:43 PM »

I agree.  Similar to a thread I started a long time ago:

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,12411.0.html
It's not just Sunday schools.  It's pre-schools too. Just about every pre-school in our area is a church. 
Whenever events that are purported to occur in our best interest are as numerous as the events that will just as soon kill us, then intent is hard, if not impossible to assert. NDT

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +563/-17
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 03:15:10 PM »
I'm 99% sure that any such class action lawsuit would be dismissed on First Amendment grounds, especially seeing as it's parents bringing their own children to Sunday School.  You might argue that it's damaging children, but how do you prove that?  And that's the rub.  You have to prove it.  You can't bring a lawsuit against someone and demand that they prove that they are not doing harm (which is essentially what you're talking about).  Such a lawsuit would be thrown out in a heartbeat.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +888/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 04:53:22 PM »
Are they the children's books that say it's okay to hit kids? Or is that the Richard Scarry books?  :?
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +563/-17
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 06:22:19 PM »
The Berenstein Bears books, at least the ones I grew up reading, are life lesson books for children.  They're intended to impart moral lessons (such as "don't lie", "don't steal", etc) to their readers.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 06:23:28 PM »
Yeah.  My daughter loved the Bernstein Bears for a few years.  She seems to have outgrown them now.  She LOVED this one book about how the bear family kept a nice house and were good neighbors but there was this other family who kept a messy yard and didn't seem to be good neighbors.  And then the bear family's car broke down, and the mayor and the fancy rich people drove right by and didn't help them.  But who helped?  It was the family with the messy yard. 

Apparently, the bear family had some preconceived notions about the messy yard family.  But mama bear was so grateful that they had stopped to help them when their car broke down, that she invited the whole messy yard family over for dinner!  In spite of the fact that they were clearly not at the same economic level as the bear family.  The children were shocked that mama had invited them to their home, but then mama started telling the kids that the BIBLE tells us to be nice to our neighbors.

I HATED this book.  I hated the judgmental bear family.  I hated the fact that they only looked at the other family as worthy of their attention after the other family helped them.   

But most of all, I hated the fact that we should be nice to others because the BIBLE tells us to be nice to others. 

We should be nice to others because other peoples feelings are as valid as our feelings.  And we should always think about how our actions impact on other people.  Even - no especially, people who are different from us. 

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 10:24:29 PM »
Huh. I don't remember religion being a part of the books ... will have to go look at some of the older ones and see if I'm just forgetting that part. Note that I was a wee little one a fairly long time ago.  ;D
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 01:12:24 AM »
I always thought the bear was Jewish.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 02:54:34 AM »
Just read Curious George instead.  Maybe when their sales drop they will re-evaluate their position.  My son loved Curious George.  I can't wait to read them to my grandson. 

Seriously though child entertainment industry is always trying to slip religious stuff in there.  I remember the fuss over Chronicles of Narnia. 

Or.. you could change the words around for your atheist children so that it's not religious at all. 

I do wish we could protect their little minds from being brainwashed though.  Maybe child protection reports would at least get it on the news. IDK 

I went to Sunday school and survived but damn I was confused for the longest time.  Like 15 years it took me to untrain my brain.   As a therapist I will always keep this in mind.  School starts soon and I'm too excited about it. 8-19 then y'all will get a break from me. ;)
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 05:46:53 AM »

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 09:59:00 AM »
I was raised in a secular home. My parents took us to a Unitarian church, on the theory that we should at least be exposed to religion. In sunday school we did many things. We planted trees. We had sex education. But what I most remember is that we studied religions as if they were alien cultures. By that I mean we studied ALL of them. We went to buddhist shrines, catholic churches, jewish synagogues, mosques, etc. By the time we were done it was completely obvious to everyone that there were so many who believed they had the one and only Way, that none of them could possibly have the one and only Way.  ;D

I was already an atheist, but I imagine that if I weren't, that exposure would have gotten me there.

Offline anthony_retford

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 10:09:11 PM »
"Or.. you could change the words around for your atheist children so that it's not religious at all." 

I did not say that but I excluded any religious reference on the fly as I was reading. Then I tossed the book.
People are 'erroneously confident' in their knowledge and underestimate the odds that their information or beliefs will be proved wrong. They tend to seek additional information in ways that confirm what they already believe.
Max Bazenman, Harvard University

Offline earthfreak

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2013, 05:01:13 PM »
I was raised in a secular home. My parents took us to a Unitarian church, on the theory that we should at least be exposed to religion. In sunday school we did many things. We planted trees. We had sex education. But what I most remember is that we studied religions as if they were alien cultures. By that I mean we studied ALL of them. We went to buddhist shrines, catholic churches, jewish synagogues, mosques, etc. By the time we were done it was completely obvious to everyone that there were so many who believed they had the one and only Way, that none of them could possibly have the one and only Way.  ;D

I was already an atheist, but I imagine that if I weren't, that exposure would have gotten me there.

Hey, cool!  At our Quaker meeting, it's usually somewhat of a small group, and we mostly know each other, so we really notice the hordes of Unitarian middle schoolers when they show up once a year.  I love it!  (this year, I was amused to watch the adults react to the fact that their recently retired pastor is now attending our meeting) 

I'm pretty sure we have one member who is now well over sixty, who originally discovered Quakerism on a Unitarian field trip.  I think it's a great idea, have never been organized enough to implement it with kids I"m working with.

Offline earthfreak

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2013, 05:02:10 PM »
on topic, I was never terribly into the bears - though I thought they were cute, was kind of horrified to glance through a book in the past ten years and notice the religious undertones, ugh!