Author Topic: Why God Doesn't Heal Amputees  (Read 4196 times)

Offline shnozzola

• Reader
  • Darwins +110/-2
Re: Why God Doesn't Heal Amputees
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2013, 03:29:37 PM »
Just wish you guys could put up some decent opposition. You seem to prefer the short wise cracks. And I don't think its off topic at all. I actually think its a pretty accurate assessment. Of course, you could try and prove me wrong.  :-) So far, I don't see any evidence to the contrary. I mean look how long you guys have been here and you're still banging on with the same old stuff. Don't you get bored? Or do you like the feeling you get from being "right". Plato would class that as prideful behaviour, me thinks.  :-) 

EES, I like the story of the wolf.  I find it's wisdom a good assessment of human behavior.  But you are missing the point of WWGHA and why we persist, IMO.     

For example: Today, Nidal Hasan got indicted for killing American soldiers as part of jihad (As an aside, killing unjust soldiers worldwide can be understandable, but is that jihad?)

.................soldiers and civilians testified of hearing someone scream "Allahu akbar!" — Arabic for "God is great!" — and seeing a man in Army camouflage open fire inside a medical building on the base. Many identified Hasan as the shooter and recalled his handgun's red and green laser sights piercing a room made dark with gun smoke.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20130823/US--Fort.Hood.Shooting/?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jihad (English pronunciation: /d???h??d/; Arabic: ????? ?ih?d [d?i?hæ?d]), an Islamic term, is a religious duty of Muslims. In Arabic, the word jih?d translates as a noun meaning "struggle". Within the context of the classical Islam, particularly the Shiahs beliefs, it refers to struggle against those who do not believe in Islamic God (Allah).[1] However, the word has even wider implications.
Jihad is commonly used term for "Holy War", Jihad means "to struggle in the way of Allah". Jihad appears 41 times in the Quran and frequently in the idiomatic expression "striving in the way of God (al-jihad fi sabil Allah)".[2][3][4] A person engaged in jihad is called a mujahid; the plural is mujahideen. Jihad is an important religious duty for Muslims. A minority among the Sunni scholars sometimes refer to this duty as the sixth pillar of Islam, though it occupies no such official status.[5] In Twelver Shi'a Islam, however, Jihad is one of the 10 Practices of the Religion.

My bold.
These days it seems some Muslims would carry out Jihad against atheists quietly working in their gardens, or even religious Americans, starting up their computers in the world trade center, huh?

That is why this website must persist, debating the definition of ****.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 04:36:17 PM by shnozzola »
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2013, 04:06:39 PM »

Just wish you guys could put up some decent opposition. You seem to prefer the short wise cracks. And I don't think its off topic at all. I actually think its a pretty accurate assessment. Of course, you could try and prove me wrong.  :-) So far, I don't see any evidence to the contrary. I mean look how long you guys have been here and you're still banging on with the same old stuff. Don't you get bored? Or do you like the feeling you get from being "right". Plato would class that as prideful behaviour, me thinks.  :-) 
:-)

I apologize we are not up to your intellectual prowess and are not living up to WWGHA's lofty academic standards of peer reviewing obscure manuscripts about GOT. Maybe when you sell a few million copies of that tome you can set up a website for Mensa members to debate with you.  Call it "Why won't Thomas Feed my W(o)lves?"  Good luck with that.

I especially like your line about "banging on with the same old stuff"  Hopefully, you can see the ir(o)ny in that comment.  Talk about wanting to be "right" - how many threads have you peppered with your pet theory? 

Here's my theory to prove wrong - no one here is really interested in debating your nuanced version of another gospel, aside from asking you to prove it and logically demonstrate how "59 jesus" offers any less nonsense than the current popular version that has been around in oh, I dunno 35,000 varieties for 2000+ years.

And if I hear that wolf story again, I am going to kick my dog really hard.  His fate is in your hands!

Bad form yet?
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline eartheconomyspirit

• Graduate
  • Darwins +2/-15
  • WWGHA Member
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2013, 06:08:16 PM »

:-)

I apologize we are not up to your intellectual prowess and are not living up to WWGHA's lofty academic standards of peer reviewing obscure manuscripts about GOT. Maybe when you sell a few million copies of that tome you can set up a website for Mensa members to debate with you.  Call it "Why won't Thomas Feed my W(o)lves?"  Good luck with that.

I especially like your line about "banging on with the same old stuff"  Hopefully, you can see the ir(o)ny in that comment.  Talk about wanting to be "right" - how many threads have you peppered with your pet theory? 

Here's my theory to prove wrong - no one here is really interested in debating your nuanced version of another gospel, aside from asking you to prove it and logically demonstrate how "59 jesus" offers any less nonsense than the current popular version that has been around in oh, I dunno 35,000 varieties for 2000+ years.

And if I hear that wolf story again, I am going to kick my dog really hard.  His fate is in your hands!

Bad form yet?

Trite wolf story removed.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 04:26:28 AM by Graybeard »

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2013, 06:19:07 PM »
“An old Cherokee told his grandson “There is a battle between two wolves inside us all. One is evil. It is anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego. The other is go(o)d. It is joy, love, peace, hope, humility, kindness, empathy and truth.”

The boy thought about it, and asked “Grandfather, which wolf wins?”The old man quietly replied. “The one you feed.”

I trust you won't.

Hey, I asked first :-)

eartheconomyspirit, you have been instructed by a moderator to stop telling this wolf story.  Please do so.  Continued violation of moderator instructions may result in more drastic action.  Thank you.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

• Graduate
  • Darwins +2/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2013, 06:23:14 PM »

EES, I like the story of the wolf.  I find it's wisdom a good assessment of human behavior.  But you are missing the point of WWGHA and why we persist, IMO.     

For example: Today, Nidal Hasan got indicted for killing American soldiers as part of jihad (As an aside, killing unjust soldiers worldwide can be understandable, but is that jihad?)

.................soldiers and civilians testified of hearing someone scream "Allahu akbar!" — Arabic for "God is great!" — and seeing a man in Army camouflage open fire inside a medical building on the base. Many identified Hasan as the shooter and recalled his handgun's red and green laser sights piercing a room made dark with gun smoke.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20130823/US--Fort.Hood.Shooting/?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jihad (English pronunciation: /d???h??d/; Arabic: ????? ?ih?d [d?i?hæ?d]), an Islamic term, is a religious duty of Muslims. In Arabic, the word jih?d translates as a noun meaning "struggle". Within the context of the classical Islam, particularly the Shiahs beliefs, it refers to struggle against those who do not believe in Islamic God (Allah).[1] However, the word has even wider implications.
Jihad is commonly used term for "Holy War", Jihad means "to struggle in the way of Allah". Jihad appears 41 times in the Quran and frequently in the idiomatic expression "striving in the way of God (al-jihad fi sabil Allah)".[2][3][4] A person engaged in jihad is called a mujahid; the plural is mujahideen. Jihad is an important religious duty for Muslims. A minority among the Sunni scholars sometimes refer to this duty as the sixth pillar of Islam, though it occupies no such official status.[5] In Twelver Shi'a Islam, however, Jihad is one of the 10 Practices of the Religion.

My bold.
These days it seems some Muslims would carry out Jihad against atheists quietly working in their gardens, or even religious Americans, starting up their computers in the world trade center, huh?

That is why this website must persist, debating the definition of ****.

I know why, you exist and that expressed intention is honourable.  However, as i said almost a year or so ago. You guys, and religions, are barking up the wrong tree. At the time, I couldn't prove my point. Know I think I can.

What, I have done in that research effort was identify a consistent story that runs from 538BC to 325AD. This history (or theory of you prefer)  shows that Prophecy and miracles were made up to serve power.

The part of the research that deals with your concern is the Book of Daniel. Written in 160BC not 538BC, as is it's pretence,  it is the first time the angel Gabriel is mentioned. Now if it was made up, which I am very confident it was, what does that say about Muhammad's story about his vision with this made up angel. Whilst that's outside my scope and needs further research, I do suggest a motive for Muhammad's creativity. And he wasn't the first. This form of creativity is the pattern that brings the MAGIc to Judaism (with Cyrus), Nerva and the Flavians for Christianity.

No Prophecy, No Angels, No Jihad.

Maybe, it'll be another year or so, but let's see how it unfolds shall we. Anyway these banters are go(o)d practice. Just wish one of you people would engage the material. But that's ok. It's go(o)d prep for the religious folks. As I've said before you guys, in general, are just like another group of believers :-)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 06:25:21 PM by eartheconomyspirit »

• Graduate
  • Darwins +2/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2013, 06:27:50 PM »
“An old Cherokee told his grandson “There is a battle between two wolves inside us all. One is evil. It is anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego. The other is go(o)d. It is joy, love, peace, hope, humility, kindness, empathy and truth.”

The boy thought about it, and asked “Grandfather, which wolf wins?”The old man quietly replied. “The one you feed.”

I trust you won't.

Hey, I asked first :-)

eartheconomyspirit, you have been instructed by a moderator to stop telling this wolf story.  Please do so.  Continued violation of moderator instructions may result in more drastic action.  Thank you.

The high priest hath spoken. But with out good cause I will not comply. Liberty, free speech and all.

Take your drastic action. I have what I need. Quick do it now, no ones watching  :-)

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +819/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2013, 06:36:44 PM »
eartheconoomyspirit,

You are literally crying wolf too often. You know how that turned out.
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

• Graduate
  • Darwins +2/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2013, 07:40:43 PM »
eartheconoomyspirit,

You are literally crying wolf too often. You know how that turned out.

Yes, that is a risk. I get what you mean. Oh well. This is just the scratching post, I'll survive. For the real scholars, it will be the first cry. I only stopped by to try and prove my point about you all barking up the wrong tree (2012) and the experience and challenge of the debate. The later has been slightly less than I'd hoped for, but none the less an education. :-) 

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +819/-6
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2013, 08:28:07 PM »
economyearthspirit

Here is what I suggest.

1. You very clearly state your religious position. Links don't count.

2. You very clearly tell us how your beliefs are different that the standard smattering of examples we get from various and assorted sundry believers. Here you can include some links, but a synopsis would be nice.

3. You very clearly let us know what your differences are with atheism.

4. You refrain from custom spellings, especially without giving us your dictionary definition of said word or semi-word.

5. You stop expecting people who don't really give a shit about christianity (other than to argue against it) to become scholars on your behalf. We have a hard time gettng christians to read even one article on the New Scientist site, or any other source that doesn't begat ignorance, so don't expect a heck of a lot more from us in return.

Also, you have stated that you have found false books in the bible. Which is no surprise to any of us. But you have also stated that you have found more accurate texts elsewhere. At least that seems to be the gist of it. And we are saying that no matter where you get the information, it is false if it religious. Or at least it has no more veracity than the standard fare so freely offered in the bible. Which is, of course, false.

Also, if you are the very first person on the planet to come up with some of the conclusions you've drawn, you might reassure us that you are over 18 and under 91. None of us want to have to make fun of immaturity or senility.

And one more note. Your opinion does not qualify as fact. It may be, but not automatically. You need to back it up with more than religious texts, because anyone with a 2.000 year old brain can write those.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +819/-6
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2013, 08:44:10 PM »
by the way, eartheconomyspirit, your web site has 60,066 words in it.

That's cutting a little close, isn't it? The devil is implied...

• Graduate
  • Darwins +2/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2013, 10:41:12 PM »
economyearthspirit

Here is what I suggest.

1. You very clearly state your religious position. Links don't count.

2. You very clearly tell us how your beliefs are different that the standard smattering of examples we get from various and assorted sundry believers. Here you can include some links, but a synopsis would be nice.

3. You very clearly let us know what your differences are with atheism.

4. You refrain from custom spellings, especially without giving us your dictionary definition of said word or semi-word.

5. You stop expecting people who don't really give a shit about christianity (other than to argue against it) to become scholars on your behalf. We have a hard time gettng christians to read even one article on the New Scientist site, or any other source that doesn't begat ignorance, so don't expect a heck of a lot more from us in return.

Also, you have stated that you have found false books in the bible. Which is no surprise to any of us. But you have also stated that you have found more accurate texts elsewhere. At least that seems to be the gist of it. And we are saying that no matter where you get the information, it is false if it religious. Or at least it has no more veracity than the standard fare so freely offered in the bible. Which is, of course, false.

Also, if you are the very first person on the planet to come up with some of the conclusions you've drawn, you might reassure us that you are over 18 and under 91. None of us want to have to make fun of immaturity or senility.

And one more note. Your opinion does not qualify as fact. It may be, but not automatically. You need to back it up with more than religious texts, because anyone with a 2.000 year old brain can write those.

Thanks, but no thanks. I think I've done more than enough by providing the site. It's a take it or leave it thing. Happy to provide any info I can in response to reasonable and specific requests based on the site  :-)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 10:51:28 PM by eartheconomyspirit »

• Graduate
  • Darwins +2/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2013, 10:49:14 PM »
by the way, eartheconomyspirit, your web site has 60,066 words in it.

That's cutting a little close, isn't it? The devil is implied...

Fear not, he doesn't exist remember. That's a believers proposition. Nice pickup though. Weird how things work out and what people will find and interpret when they seek. But wait till you see the Nostradamus speculations, when they arrive. Now, that will give you something to really think about. Sorry no answers here though. All I can think of is the Medici, but how? That is a mystery for another day, perhaps. My scope is 325AD  :-)

Online jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +171/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2013, 11:03:50 AM »

The high priest hath spoken. But with out good cause I will not comply. Liberty, free speech and all.

Take your drastic action. I have what I need. Quick do it now, no ones watching  :-)

Your "free speech" does not exist on this forum.  If you continue trolling, you will be banned.  Either way, you get what you want, and the forum is better off.  You have another choice as well - stop posting.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +819/-6
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2013, 11:21:20 AM »
Thanks, but no thanks. I think I've done more than enough by providing the site. It's a take it or leave it thing. Happy to provide any info I can in response to reasonable and specific requests based on the site  :-)

Well, golly gee. You come here, demanding we go there...

What to do, what to do?

Well, since you can't design a web site any better than you can think, I'm guessing I'll not bother going back to it. And since you are trying to set new low standards around here (and being quite successful as an example), I think I'll say the same thing to you.

Thanks, but no thanks.

• Graduate
  • Darwins +2/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2013, 01:30:18 AM »
This post has been removed. A PM will follow.
GB Mod
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 04:16:11 AM by Graybeard »

• Graduate
  • Darwins +2/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2013, 01:33:07 AM »
This post has been removed. A PM will follow.
GB Mod
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 04:15:16 AM by Graybeard »

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2013, 11:48:34 PM »

“An old Cherokee told his grandson “There is a battle between two wolves inside us all.

One is evil. It is anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego. The other is go(o)d. It is joy, love, peace, hope, humility, kindness, empathy and truth.”

Except you haven't demonstrated such a claim is even remotely true. Contrary to your claims, it is NOT always "evil" (whatever that means) to have anger, jealousy, resentment, to lie, to have an ego, to feel inferiority, or the like. Likewise, it is NOT always good to feel joy, hope, or peace. Would you find it a good thing to have joy in a child's rape and murder? Would you think it OK to have hope that a terrorist plot will be made? What about having peace in hurting people?

Your little story fails miserably.

We need less of this kind of ignorant ranting in the world and more critical thinking and intellectual honesty.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 01:21:06 AM by median »
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2013, 01:17:28 AM »

So then you admit that there is no supernatural "Go(O)d", right?

Correct

I rest my case...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 01:18:59 AM by median »

Offline Crowbar

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2013, 03:37:50 AM »
Are there any Apotemnophilia anonymous threads in here or what? It's really why I'm here. Why would bible God make me want to cut my legs off to look cool? Or maybe it's bible satan? Perhaps its Lord Voldemort.   
"I want a medical amputation!!"

Apotemnophiliacs Unite -

God is a big hairy meanie with zits, bad breath and alopecia therefor God does not exist, NO WAY especially the big old, old ancient desert   bible god, coz he kills innocent baby lambs and white fur seals on the Sabbath. Atheism 101

Offline Crowbar

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2013, 03:40:15 AM »

So then you admit that there is no supernatural "Go(O)d", right?

Correct

I rest my case...

Since 911 you cant leave cases around. 
"I want a medical amputation!!"

Apotemnophiliacs Unite -

God is a big hairy meanie with zits, bad breath and alopecia therefor God does not exist, NO WAY especially the big old, old ancient desert   bible god, coz he kills innocent baby lambs and white fur seals on the Sabbath. Atheism 101

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2013, 11:09:14 AM »
Are there any Apotemnophilia anonymous threads in here or what? It's really why I'm here. Why would bible God make me want to cut my legs off to look cool? Or maybe it's bible satan? Perhaps its Lord Voldemort.

I think he would want you to go handle some poisonous snakes and drink venom.

Mark 16:18 - they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all...

Let us know how that works out!

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +941/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2013, 05:46:42 PM »

I think he would want you to go handle some poisonous snakes and drink venom.

Mark 16:18 - they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all...

Let us know how that works out!

I suspect he is off doing that right now....
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2013, 08:18:31 PM »
^^^ yep, I'm pretty sure he has hold of a snake...
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2013, 08:28:32 PM »

Since 911 you cant leave cases around.

Really? Then why are you leaving your crappy one here?

Offline domnuspike

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2013, 02:45:01 PM »
God does heal amputees

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +135/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2013, 03:00:45 PM »
God does heal amputees

/end forum

Well, let's pack it up boys and girls.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2013, 03:04:56 PM »
God does heal amputees

Citation please...

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +941/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2013, 03:20:48 PM »
God does heal amputees

--in the only remote village in the entire world with no cellphone camera

--not in body but in spirit, see this video of a guy with no limbs praise the lord, so there

--this Italian painting in 1257 showed a man with one leg shorter than another which had been healed from being amputated because the priests prayed over him and it grew back overnight when nobody was looking and you can read the account on the internet and

--with modern medicine and advanced prosthetics, you know, evil science and technology

--in the bible there was this story about how Jesus stuck this guy's ear back on

--because how do you know, have you seen every amputee ever? huh? smart website guy? huh?

Which is it, domnuspike? &)
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Benny

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +16/-1
  • Hugs And Love
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2013, 03:27:34 PM »
God does heal amputees
Er...are you sure about that one?  You might want to check again.
I'm here every now and again.
We're gonna rock down to Alexis Avenue, he makes the score go higher!