Author Topic: Good Stress - my art career may be taking off!!!  (Read 361 times)

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
Good Stress - my art career may be taking off!!!
« on: July 21, 2013, 02:45:02 PM »
In amongst all the health scares, family issues, and other life stresses on the board, I thought I'd share some good stress.  ;D

I'm an artist. I've been working for the last few years at a variety of events, never quite figuring out a good path to success. This year I've changed focus to my fantasy work, and started applying to renaissance festivals. I thought it would take a couple years to get ramped up. The bigger faires are juried, and I'd heard it could take years to get a permanent shop.

This year has been amazing. A few short months after beginning this new journey I have a perfect permanent shop at one big festival near the jousting field, a relative stepped up to finance it, I'm a guest vendor at another, and am now purchasing a beautiful period pavilion to apply to some more. The pavilion is basically the best in the business, it was only used twice, the colors are perfect for my use, and its much cheaper because its not new. I have a ton of people pulling for me, and hoping to work for me.

I'm really stressed, and really excited! I alternate between worrying about this working out and dancing around the house like I've just won the lottery.  ;D All these incredible things seem to be falling in my lap, and while I know that logically its my work and preparation allowing me to be ready to jump at these opportunities, it feels sort of magical. And terrifying.

Whew! So, wish me luck, and if you like renaissance festivals, I'll let you know where and when I'll be.  8)
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
Re: Good Stress - my art career may be taking off!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 04:49:44 PM »
great news and congrats traveler.

we have a big ren fair down in Norman OK every year - love to see the wenches in their garb, even if the occasional fellow wearing a codpiece goes with it.   :laugh:

best of luck and enjoy!
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +263/-33
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 04:51:06 PM »
Congratulations, Traveler.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 05:13:18 PM »
Good luck, Traveler.  I think those things you are feeling are called LIFE.  Enjoy the ride.

It is always exciting when we can put our talents to good use...and even better if we can make a living/money from it.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 05:19:21 PM by Nick »
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +120/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 06:38:01 PM »
I'm really stressed, and really excited! I alternate between worrying about this working out and dancing around the house like I've just won the lottery.  ;D All these incredible things seem to be falling in my lap, and while I know that logically its my work and preparation allowing me to be ready to jump at these opportunities, it feels sort of magical. And terrifying.

Anyone else would jump up and thank Jesus Christ for blessing his/her life with such abundance of blessed gifts!

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +124/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 07:07:19 PM »
Excellent!  I've never been to a Renaissance Fair but it's something I always figured I'd go to eventually.  Count me in!  I got a Chinese brush painting book from B&N with a gift card I got for my birthday.  Art is good for stress relief.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 09:03:56 PM »
Wow!  What fun and exiting news.  I've also never been to a Renaissance Fair, but some friends of mine are fans, and take their daughter to one in NJ every year.  And I think that there is another one here in NYC in the Cloisters? 

If it is either of those, send me a PM, and I'll make it.  :)

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 10:06:16 PM »
They are great...especially if you like turkey legs. ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Sketchiii

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 10:11:55 PM »
That's such great news- and that's coming from someone with similar dreams who instead of practicing has been on a procrastination spree these past weeks.  8)

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +689/-3
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 11:18:24 PM »
Traveler

Hey, all of this sounds great. But what medium do you work in? Chain mail?  ;D

I'm really happy for you. Joust 'em dead with your art, m'lady.
Not everyone is entitled to their opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 11:27:44 PM »
Traveler

Hey, all of this sounds great. But what medium do you work in? Chain mail?  ;D

I'm really happy for you. Joust 'em dead with your art, m'lady.

Thanks everyone!!!

I'm a quilt artist, making original quilts with dragons, faeries, and other mythical creatures on them. Wall hangings, bed quilts, bags ... that sort of thing. In addition to them being my original designs, there are very, very few quilt artists doing the ren faire circuit, so hopefully I'll do well. So far I've had a very good response. :)

Here's a full size dragon quilt ...

« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 11:57:58 PM by Traveler »
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 11:34:29 PM »
that looks awesome - I want one!

what the hell is that big square box with the glass front in the background? an antique microwave?  :laugh:
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 11:54:13 PM »
that looks awesome - I want one!

what the hell is that big square box with the glass front in the background? an antique microwave?  :laugh:

LOL! Thanks Neo!!! I photographed that at my neighbor's house. I did a photo of the quilt with the tv covered up, but this was what I had on photobucket. Guess I should poke around and find the better pic, eh? LOL

ETA: Pic replaced.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 11:58:30 PM by Traveler »

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +81/-1
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2013, 08:57:10 AM »
LOVE the dragon quilt!! I have a friend who would kill for something like that. How much do you charge for them?

By the way, I'm something of an artist as well, but have yet to figure out a niche, other than I do fairly well on and off (depending on how ambitious I'm feeling) with submarine-themed work, since my husband is in the Navy. I really don't enjoy painting submarines all that much, though, hence the ambivalence.

I just took a weekend portrait-painting workshop with a really amazing artist, though. It was a great experience, since I'm basically self taught, and although I can draw pretty well, I struggle with color a bit. Plus, I have not done portrait work with anything like regularity for a good 25 years, and it reminded me how much I used to love doing it.

Congratulations on your success so far, and hope you continue going on to bigger and better things. If that quilt is any indication, you certainly deserve it!

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2013, 10:23:39 AM »
You replaced the antique glass box with an altar to Smaug?   :)

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2013, 11:28:48 AM »
You replaced the antique glass box with an altar to Smaug?   :)

Yup. Far more appropriate, don't you think? ... though technically, the statuette is a gargoyle. :)

Jynnan, the full size dragon quilt is $1300. Other sizes roughly scale from there. :)  Scale ... ar ar!!!  ;D
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 11:30:19 AM by Traveler »