Author Topic: Danohk  (Read 954 times)

Offline Danohk

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Christian.
Danohk
« on: July 19, 2013, 02:14:39 PM »
Heyo, Danohk here.  Fresh "theist" meat for you to grind.

I'm a Christian, a scriptural literalist (church of Christ).

I'm a man of reason, and enjoy reasonable discussions (read "enjoy" as in usually don't participate in flame-fests -- unless, of course, they're really entertaining). 

I always enjoy talking about my faith, the reasons for it, and examinations of it.  2 Thessalonians 5:21 "Test all things, holding fast to what is good."

Looking forward to chatting with ya'll. 
I'm from the 80s, and the internet.  In that order.

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +125/-2
    • I am a Forum Guide
Re: Danohk
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 02:27:25 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Danohk. Biblical literalist, huh? Since you came here you must be a masochist too.  :laugh:

I kid. But if you're looking for different views and challenging questions you've come to the right place.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +722/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 02:41:01 PM »
Welcome Danohk. Pretty soon we'll all be calling you Dano because not all of us can remember that many letters.

Fortunately, we are quite capable of having civil discussions with theists, as long as said theist isn't relying on cut-and-paste scripture posting or sounding like he or she is up on the pulpit. As long as you are telling us in your own words (and it's okay to reference or even quote short pieces of scripture, we just don't like bible-length posts), and as long as you find ways to explain yourself clearly, we'll probably get along fine.

A current thread, asking why christians always beat around the bush, demonstrates our biggest issue with theists. Their inability to state clearly state the specifics of their point of view. As atheists, the constant barrage of sentences containing only "faith" and "belief" do nothing to sway us. We look at the world differently, and using foreign words like that to explain the theist position just doesn't seem to work. Anything you can do to improve our general opinion about believers would be appreciated. We don't enjoying questioning the mental abilities of other humans.

And if you feel like you are getting hit with too many questions, etc. the forum does have our "Shelter" section, where theists can bask in the warm glow of moderated protectionism and FDA approved friendly atheists. Let all of us know if you are feeling overwhelmed.

Oh yea, some of us are verbose. To a fault. And my pet peeve is spending half an hour responding to a theist and having my entire post dissed in one unexplanatory and incomplete sentence. I, for one, see such non-efforts as a ploy, one where the theist is at a loss for words and relies on christian wit instead. I don't believe in that either  ;D

Good luck, and I hope that you stick around and help us to understand the theist mind. So very few of you have been studied in captivity!
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Danohk

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Christian.
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 03:03:00 PM »
...some of us are verbose. To a fault.

Sweet!  I'm quite fond of verbosity, and have been known to engage in it, myself.  We modern-era plebians suffer from TV-engineered attention spans, sound bites, and a general active discouragement towards thorough discussion and examination of any given topic (especially the important ones), so an atmosphere of heavy exploration is refreshing.  Necessary, really.

I'm also a gamer, and a husband and father, so there are many things vying for my attention.  If the discussion is as good as the posts I've perused thus far are an indication of conversation here, though, I'll probably be interested enough to start slogging through and generating reams of text.

It's always frustrating to run into the blithe, pat, and rehearsed discourse so common to discussions of this nature (and political ones, too, but I'll try to stay off my soapbox, there), and I do hope to provide a nice exception.

...heck, just hanging around a group of people with decent reading comprehension will be nice.

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +538/-13
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 03:13:41 PM »
and political ones, too, but I'll try to stay off my soapbox, there
Nothing wrong with getting up on the soapbox.  It's just when the person tries to stay up there and preach that problems start to happen.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 04:49:26 PM »
Welcome danohk

I swam in the xian pond for over 30 years and recently was rescued by reason.

Also, I was very close with an uncle who was a CoC pastor and was want to remind me in my believer days I was going to hell (since I was of the baptist variety theist).  I had many a long discussion on soteriology and the baptism timeline so to speak...  He passed away so maybe he has the answers?

Enjoy yourself. Glad you are here

If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +275/-34
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 04:54:03 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Danohk. Mind if I ask where you got the name from?
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +124/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 05:09:24 PM »
author=Danohk link=topic=25211.msg563694#msg563694 date=137426418

...heck, just hanging around a group of people with decent reading comprehension will be nice.

This is what kept me coming back to this forum.  My life's circumstances found me desperately reaching out for God's hand to help pull me up from a frighteningly rapid and relentless downward spiral.  My hand remains empty.  This has lead me to conclude that like Santa Claus, Easter Bunny and The Great Pumpkin, God is a story I no longer believe. That is the only humane conclusion.  I am not usually such a buzzkill.  Really. Welcome to the forum.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline Danohk

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Christian.
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 01:37:16 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Danohk. Mind if I ask where you got the name from?

It's my gaming moniker.  I think the first time I used it was in some FPS or other ten-ish years ago.  Maybe City of Heroes. 

It's an acronym:  Death awaits no human convenience.

I changed the last letter to a "k" because it looked a little meaner.  It's become my general "intarwebz" name, so much so that I automatically respond to "Dan" as well as my own name.  :P

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 03:00:05 AM »
Hello and welcome aboard, from a tabletop RPG gamer.  ;D
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +645/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2013, 08:29:29 AM »
Welcome

I'm a man of reason,

What does this mean to you?

2 Thessalonians 5:21 "Test all things, holding fast to what is good."

Deut 6:16  do not test the lord
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Danohk

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Christian.
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 04:47:13 PM »
Welcome

What does this mean to you?

2 Thessalonians 5:21 "Test all things, holding fast to what is good."

Deut 6:16  do not test the lord

Hehe, looks like a fragment of a verse, to me.

Deut 6:14-16:  "You shall not go after other gods, the gods of the peoples who are all around you (15) (for the LORD your God is a jealous God among you), lest the anger of the Lord your God be aroused against you and destroy you from the face of the earth. (16) You shall not tempt (test) the Lord your God as you tempted (tested) Him in Massah."

So the passage in Deuteronomy that you listed, and that Jesus referenced in Matthew 4:7, is a law not to provoke God into jealousy and anger by worshiping anything other than Him.  "Test" even in our language can also mean "trial" or "tempt" as in the New King James version I listed, there.

The exhortation in the letter to the Thessalonians is an encouragement towards a mindset that fosters learning, and an active seeking towards beneficial truths.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +275/-34
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2013, 04:56:46 PM »
Hehe, looks like a fragment of a verse, to me.
<snip>

Ignoring the obvious problems with a jealous omnimax god, what exactly does your god have to fear? If it's the only real god, why can't people worship other gods? Is it so insecure that it requires constant admiration and people telling it how wonderful it is, otherwise it will fall into a deep depression/rage and kill everything on the planet again?
You know, as the first god of the multiverse, I can tell you that I do not require the worship or even acknowledgement of other life forms.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +30/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2013, 05:24:52 PM »
    Being a "man of reason" & "scriptural literalist" is like square pegs and round holes.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2013, 07:07:13 PM »
Now now... The intro board is no place for debates and such... as the resident Gawd here I must aim the discussion back at welcoming our new member

Welcome Dano

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +30/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2013, 07:34:01 PM »
Now now... The intro board is no place for debates and such... as the resident Gawd here I must aim the discussion back at welcoming our new member

Welcome Dano

Ohhh. OK. Welcome Danohk and by the way: Being a "man of reason" & "scriptural literalist" is like square pegs and round holes.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline Danohk

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Christian.
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2013, 12:52:44 AM »
Haha, well, to be fair, that's not really a debate, more an assessment of my character or nature.

I don't see reason as an end, just a highly effective way of exploring the merits of a given subject or situation. 

As Benjamin Franklin once said, "So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable Creature, since it enables one to find or make a Reason for every thing one has a mind to do."

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +722/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2013, 09:36:50 AM »
Hey, we need to get you in a conversation on the board. Do you want to start a thread, or would you like one of us to start one on a subject you would like to discuss. As a literalist, you can be most assured that we attack full bore, but we can be pretty nice about it.

We don't often get believers here who can describe their denomination so easily. In fact, most don't have one. They've gone all Thomas Edison on religion and invented a version of their own. Which usually doesn't light up, if you get my drift. You have told us that you are a member of a non-specific (but at least I've heard of it) church of Christ. I know that there are several versions of that grouping. Does your church use instruments, for instance? Many, many years ago I had a neighbor who was a member of a church of Christ and he would occasionally rail on about that other church where they had an organ and stuff and how wrong that was. I think his worrying about such things killed him.

Anyway, you might elucidate, and the best place to do that is in the middle of a big argument.

Anyway, if there is something you would like to discuss, we are all game. And be aware that you are allowed to challenge specific members to a one-on-one debate, and if they agree you can go head to head on a chosen subject. We haven't had a good one in a long time.

Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Danohk

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Christian.
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2013, 07:06:51 PM »
If I had to characterize myself, I'd say I'm a guy that really likes to answer questions, and hash out the explanations.  I'm just fine with jumping into other threads, though I also will sometimes address an issue that I see with a novel-length posting.  I don't spend a lot of time telling other people what they should think or do, but explaining why I believe the way I do.  I also find interpersonal drama highly odious, and a waste of time, so I will generally steer clear of such situations.

As far as my particular crowd is concerned, we're the kind that doesn't do instruments in our worship services.  We're pretty conservative about scripture, and what we believe to be its Source, being the only authority.  The name "church of Christ" is actually taken from scripture, and we consider it a description, rather than a denomination (note my hyperfanatical usage of a small 'c' at the beginning there).  Every one of our groups is an autonomous local community, with no national or international heirarchies or authority structures.  We often associate with eachother due to shared beliefs, but there's no central power or council that governs.  At each congregation there are a plurality of elders who act as "shepherds" or "overseers" in steering the people in teaching, learning, etc (and they usually handle the budget).  There are "evangelists" who are usually referred to as "preachers" who enjoy no special authority, but deliver sermons to the gathered church on Sundays.  There are no individuals singled out as priests, as we believe that every person baptized into Christ is a priest, with full ability and authority to commune with God on his or her own behalf.

Since we are people of scripture, I've been surrounded since childhood by an atmosphere of challenge and examination where scripture is concerned.  We grew up debating and thoroughly searching the -- very tangible -- scriptures, in an environment where the merit of meaning and reason has sway, so the authoritarian, metaphysical religious world is somewhat alien to me.

Sounds like your neighbor was a little bent out of shape, but hey, we all latch on to aspects of life that we seek to control.  It's that or run naked before the bewildering storm of perceived chaos, right?  I'm joking there, but some people do run things out to unhealthy extremes, and it sounds as if your acquaintance did just that.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2013, 08:01:40 PM »
I know exactly from whence you come... my uncle said the same things about his c o C (corrected the capitalization for your view).  I won't tread too deeply into the theology side here, but does your church also baptize first (as opposed to credobaptists who follow a profession of faith with baptism)?

I know all churches and denominations (or nondenominations as the c o C views it) have their own group of apologists, but I was struck by how rigidly the c o C stuck to "their own" group. For example, my uncle and a core group ina bible study I attende  there  had never even heard of CS Lewis and couldn't tell you a thing about Luther, Calvin or Spurgeon, for example. 

If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline DumpsterFire

• Graduate
  • Darwins +61/-0
  • The Flaming Duck of Death!
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2013, 11:07:37 PM »
Dano, I can already tell by your posting style that you will do well here. Welcome.
Providing rednecks with sunblock since 1996.

I once met a man who claimed to be a genius, then boasted that he was a member of "Mesa".

Think for yourself.

Offline Danohk

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Christian.
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2013, 11:13:39 PM »
We hold to the idea in Acts 2:38 that it is during baptism that our sins (previous and future) are forgiven by God.  So, in keeping with the old Sunday School story axiom ("Teacher, what is the first thing you have to do to be saved?"  "You have to sin."), we do adhere to the confession/repentance paradigm before one is immersed.  It has to be a conscious, willing choice...no dunking babies for us.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2013, 11:31:18 PM »
understood... those pesky presbyterians (I was one at one stop) do the baby dunking or paedobaptism.
I loved their wine in communion too.

Offline viocjit

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2013, 05:52:55 AM »
Welcome ! I have some questions. You say that you're a man of reason but in another hand you're a biblical litteralist (therefore you're against the evolution theory , you believe that the world was made in six days , you believe that the earth appeared before the sun etc...).
How a man of reason can believe these things ? because a man of reason is a man of science.

Online pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +206/-5
  • Je bois ton lait frappĂ©
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2013, 05:58:56 AM »
Welcome, Danokh, glad to see another theist here.  I look forwarding to exchanging some ideas with you.  I hope you find your stay here an entertaining an informative one.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +645/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2013, 09:33:11 AM »
So the passage in Deuteronomy that you listed, and that Jesus referenced in Matthew 4:7, is a law not to provoke God into jealousy and anger by worshiping anything other than Him.  "Test" even in our language can also mean "trial" or "tempt" as in the New King James version I listed, there.

Since this is intros, there is no debating.  I'll make this another thread and link it here once I've set it up.

I'm still curious what it means to you to be a "man of reason"?

edit -
thread for testing god discussion:
http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,25223.msg563966.html#msg563966
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 01:21:14 PM by screwtape »
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +74/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2013, 04:37:36 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Danohk. Always a pleasure to meet another City of Heroes player; Hell's Bouncer was my moniker there back in the day... sigh. :'(

Look forward to seeing you around.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-80
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2013, 04:06:44 AM »
Hello Danohk and welcome to the forum.  I am a fellow theist but I'm pretty sure we will have conflicting views.I am by no means a bible literalist I don't believe the bible is the word of God.  Look forward to hearing your beliefs and tossing some ideas back and forth.  Come join us in the Main Discussion arena, It's a lot more fun.  Used "arena" for a reason.

Take Care,

Junebug
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99