Author Topic: If you're ever in Florida . . .  (Read 1621 times)

Offline El Guapo

• Freshman
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • WWGHA Member
If you're ever in Florida . . .
« on: July 18, 2013, 01:10:43 PM »
 . . . . have a seat and take a load off.  Courtesy of American Atheists and the liberties granted to us by our Founding Fathers!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/30/atheists-monument_n_3523762.html

Putting the Ten Commandments at the seat of government promotes bad theology and bad law. It’s especially offensive in courthouses, where judges are supposed to treat people on an equal basis no matter what they believe (or don’t believe) about religion or God.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +654/-28
  • Karma mooch
Re: If you're ever in Florida . . .
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 01:59:31 PM »
If I ever go to Florida, I plan to get a gun and a concealed carry license and shoot me a couple of people. Because in Florida, you can do that. 

I predict Florida will become a destination for legal murder vacations.  Got a spouse you want to get rid of without wasting all that money on lawyers?  Take him to Florida for a "vacation" and claim self defense.  Or if you have just been itching to know what it is like to look into a man's eyes as he "gives up the ghost", try one of the many bars in Florida.  Even if you start the fight, once you start losing, it becomes self defense and you can shoot him dead.  It doesn't matter whether you provoked it and made no attemt to extricate yourself from the situation.  You can stand your ground.  Liberty!
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline El Guapo

• Freshman
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 02:18:05 PM »
Definitely a possibility.  Can you imagine the travel brochure?

Well . . . if you end up being arraigned on murder charges at court in Bradford County take a picture sitting on the Atheist bench would ya?! :police:

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 02:47:27 PM »
If I ever go to Florida, I plan to get a gun and a concealed carry license and shoot me a couple of people. Because in Florida, you can do that. 

I predict Florida will become a destination for legal murder vacations.  Got a spouse you want to get rid of without wasting all that money on lawyers?  Take him to Florida for a "vacation" and claim self defense.  Or if you have just been itching to know what it is like to look into a man's eyes as he "gives up the ghost", try one of the many bars in Florida.  Even if you start the fight, once you start losing, it becomes self defense and you can shoot him dead.  It doesn't matter whether you provoked it and made no attemt to extricate yourself from the situation.  You can stand your ground.  Liberty!

And you can follow up the murder with a trip to Disney!

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +846/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 02:54:57 PM »
I've never liked Florida..... :P
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +72/-1
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 09:18:33 PM »

It's like Westworld, but without the robots.

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +31/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 09:49:39 PM »
The Everglades and the Keys are the only parts of Florida that I liked.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Online rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 09:50:15 PM »
I've never liked Florida..... :P
A radio station I listen to does a dumb people segment everyday and since people in Florida come up frequently they refer to Florida as the "mouth to hell".
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +846/-6
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 11:27:14 PM »

It's like Westworld, but without the robots.

Exactly. Westworld with real bullets-- and everyone thinks they will be cool, silent Yul Brynner. When they are actually idiot James "I've been shot"  Brolin.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 10:52:10 AM »
RetireeWorld
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +654/-28
  • Karma mooch
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 11:00:22 AM »
looks like Disney's getting in on it.
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/07/25/1226075/-Disney-World-s-Florida-Adventure-Park-Stand-Your-Ground

Disney is probably not going to be happy when they see that, considering (among other things) that they have a policy that prohibits all weapons in the park.
http://www.wdwinfo.com/tips_for_touring/dress-code.htm
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +557/-17
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 11:08:24 AM »
Yeah.  Satire is one thing, but I think the Daily KOS went overboard there.

By the way, I'll be going to WDW this Christmas, along with my parents (they're paying for the trip).

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 06:16:31 PM »
looks like Disney's getting in on it.
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/07/25/1226075/-Disney-World-s-Florida-Adventure-Park-Stand-Your-Ground

Disney is probably not going to be happy when they see that, considering (among other things) that they have a policy that prohibits all weapons in the park.
http://www.wdwinfo.com/tips_for_touring/dress-code.htm

Cast members are allowed guns in their vehicles in Cast parking. At least when I last worked there in 2006. And that was a new policy that year.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, 07:08:34 AM »
Cast members are allowed guns in their vehicles in Cast parking. At least when I last worked there in 2006. And that was a new policy that year.

Right, so that they don't have to be inconvenienced by leaving their sidearms at home (instead of in their cars) when they're commuting.  That's not even remotely the same thing as allowing them to go armed inside the park, though.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2013, 07:46:05 PM »
You said "in the park". The parking for guests and cast members is considered "in the park". The cast parking isn't just one particular section; they extend into the park itself where guests aren't permitted. Where the guests are permitted: no, of course not but that's not what you said.

As a side note: some of their cameras are dummies. So a cast member who knew which ones could bring a weapon in the park if they wanted to.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +846/-6
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2013, 09:48:00 PM »
Why would they want to? I am honestly curious as to why someone needs to bring a gun to work. :?

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +747/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2013, 10:02:04 PM »
The Everglades and the Keys are the only parts of Florida that I liked.

The best part of Florida is that it is that is that it's closest border is 1644.38 miles from where I am sitting.

I don't even feel like leaning back, because that would put me closer, and that would displease me.

It is one of two states that I haven't  been in, and its not on my bucket list.

My f**k it list, yes. It's on that one.

But I'm happy about the atheist thing. However, I give it a week, tops. Before someone shoots it in self defense.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +654/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2013, 11:48:12 PM »
Right, so that they don't have to be inconvenienced by leaving their sidearms at home (instead of in their cars) when they're commuting.  That's not even remotely the same thing as allowing them to go armed inside the park, though.

posted in gun fails http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,24899.msg557029.html#msg557029

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2013, 07:21:05 AM »
You said "in the park". The parking for guests and cast members is considered "in the park". The cast parking isn't just one particular section; they extend into the park itself where guests aren't permitted. Where the guests are permitted: no, of course not but that's not what you said.

OK, I stand corrected on that part, but even so: leaving your sidearm locked in your car, whether it is parked "in the park" or not, isn't even remotely the same thing as going armed.

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2013, 07:30:40 AM »
Why would they want to? I am honestly curious as to why someone needs to bring a gun to work. :?

Before I address this, let me ask for a bit of clarification: is it the type of weapon involved that you find puzzling, or are you puzzled about carrying any kind of a weapon at all?  Put it another way: if you found out that someone routinely carried a canister of pepper spray with them everywhere they went, including to work, would you still be confused?

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2013, 02:28:13 PM »

Asking the wrong person.

-Nam

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2013, 02:30:53 PM »
The one state I'd hate to be in right now seems to be North Carolina. They appear to be worse than Texas at the moment.

-Nam

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2013, 02:35:39 PM »
The one state I'd hate to be in right now seems to be North Carolina. They appear to be worse than Texas at the moment.

-Nam

Yeah, which sucks because I'm going to be in North Carolina this fall for work. :(
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +747/-6
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2013, 03:23:22 PM »
This article might help explain a bit about Florida. Well, not explain, just define. I'm pretty sure there is no explanation.

Of course some state has to be the stupidest. I know it is close sometimes, but I think for consistency, you can't beat good old FL.

http://www.salon.com/2013/07/26/5_reasons_why_florida_is_the_weirdest_state_ever_partner/

The woman who fired a warning shot because her husband was about to abuse her yet again getting sentenced to 20 years in prison takes the cake. But I'm sure only in this one story. There are probably a million of 'em.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +31/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2013, 04:30:05 PM »
   Anybody with any doubts that there is a LOT of misinformation on the internet need only read the above  ^^^ linked Salon article. They get their information from Yahoo! answers. &)
   Not only does California not have the most species of poisonous snakes but Arizona and Texas have more. California has 6 species (10 if you include subspecies). Texas has 11 species (15 if you include subspecies). Topping the list is Arizona with 14 species (18 if you include subspecies).
    These are only the dangerously venomous snakes and do not include species that don't have venom potent enough to affect healthy people
    Consume the internet at your own risk
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +747/-6
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2013, 05:02:43 PM »
^^^ Yea, there's that. But accuracy is no fun. 

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +846/-6
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2013, 06:40:24 PM »

Before I address this, let me ask for a bit of clarification: is it the type of weapon involved that you find puzzling, or are you puzzled about carrying any kind of a weapon at all?  Put it another way: if you found out that someone routinely carried a canister of pepper spray with them everywhere they went, including to work, would you still be confused?

I can understand the need for self-protection in certain circumstances. I am not opposed to all weapons and I can even see some situations where having a gun makes sense. But unless someone is working in a pretty dangerous job, like prison guard, I can't see the need for deadly force in a workplace. Every once in a while there is a shooting at a college and people start talking about allowing guns on my campus. The day students are allowed to pack in my classroom is the day I resign. :P

When I worked in some dangerous housing projects and had night shifts, I decided I needed some personal protection. I would not carry pepper spray because it is too unpredictable--I know that for a fact because I was once sprayed with it, and it did not do what the person wanted, luckily for me.  :o

Even though there were shootings and gang battles going on, I decided not to carry a gun. For one thing, I would not have wanted to live with killing anyone, and having a gun would increase that possibility. For another thing, my gun could be taken away and used to kill me. And finally, I would not want to have a gun unless I was going to spend a lot of time getting good at using it. I was not interested in becoming that good.

So, I took martial arts lessons and routinely carried a knife, never a gun, in my purse. A knife could only be used if someone was really close to me and I was in certain danger. It would be hard to kill someone across the street by accident with a knife, as opposed to a gun. And if the person got it away from me, I still might be able to survive. If a little kid got into my purse and got my knife, there is only so much damage they could do. Not so much with a gun. Finally, and maybe most importantly, I think not having a gun made me cautious, circumspect and more willing to find non-violent ways out of conflicts. (I never had to use my knife.)

Obviously, everyone has to make up their own mind as to how much danger they are in and how to protect themselves from it. But the idea of having loaded guns in a recreational workplace like an amusement park, with crowds and children all over the place, seems really unwise to me. :?

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +654/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2013, 10:25:57 PM »
Yeah, which sucks because I'm going to be in North Carolina this fall for work. :(

make sure you get a concealed carry permit.  You'll need one to protect yourself from all the gun nuts.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials