Author Topic: Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?  (Read 70284 times)

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +166/-0
  • Living the Dream
Re: Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?
« Reply #725 on: January 21, 2014, 02:07:14 PM »
it's because they know they will fear the answer.

Religous belief becomes part of a person's identity.  Mucking with identity is extremely painful, even though identities change throughout life.

being confronted with the possibility of changing one's identity based on outside factors (not, say, becoming a parent by choice or picking up a new hobby/sport) will cause defensiveness and evasion.  This is why believers go through apologetics and other mental gymnastics to answer what should be simple questions.

Now you may close the thread.  :-)
...religion is simply tribalism with a side order of philosophical wankery, and occasionally a baseball bat to smash...anyone who doesn't show...deference to the tribe's chosen totem.

~Astreja

To not believe in god is to know that it falls to us to make the world a better place.

~Sam Harris

Offline ThatZenoGuy

• Reader
  • Darwins +94/-24
  • Residential Sexy Anthro Goddess
    • Spacebattles Account.
« Reply #726 on: January 21, 2014, 09:49:58 PM »
So, finally after twenty six pages of rambling, dodging, and making irrelevant bullshit arguments...

Theists still cannot answer the thread question...

Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline voodoo child

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-0
« Reply #727 on: January 21, 2014, 10:26:59 PM »
I say, let the page run just like many pages. Its quite fun, refreshing, The sticky the, thumb tack. 

Hell,  i thought it was funny when the guy showed up professing RA or some dam thing. another thread, another time.. 

Why is it so hard for a believer to answer a direct question?

It's like a tattoo..      :?                  well, that's what you asked for…     ;D

The classical man is just a bundle of routine, ideas and tradition. If you follow the classical pattern, you are understanding the routine, the tradition, the shadow, you are not understanding yourself. Truth has no path. Truth is living and therefore changing. Bruce lee

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +266/-8
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #728 on: January 23, 2014, 04:49:22 PM »
No one is asking you to accept anything exists especially that of folk lore.

if you accept the definition of God as eternal thus making you a believer that it exists because it is in the dictionary 

What's wrong with these two quotes of yours?
nothing is wrong with it. They are queries to find your truth so we can build upon it slowly.
How do you define your statements, which do not end in a question mark, nor ask a question as 'inquires;' yet my post, which does end in a question mark, as a declaration of faith?
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +438/-5
« Reply #729 on: January 24, 2014, 04:11:02 AM »
Jesuis is taking a short break from the forums.  Please don't expect any responses from him for a week or so.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline nogodsforme

• Laureate
  • Darwins +1864/-9
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #730 on: January 24, 2014, 05:24:46 PM »
And not a moment too soon. :angel:
When all of Cinderella's finery changed back at midnight, why didn't the shoes disappear? What's up with that?

Offline OldChurchGuy

• Reader
  • Darwins +189/-3
  • One of those theists who enjoys exchanging ideas
« Reply #731 on: January 06, 2017, 03:39:26 PM »
I realize there are 26 pages of information and I am just too lazy to read them all.  Would someone please give an example of a theist not answering a direct question? 

Risking poking a sleeping bear I remain,

OldChurchGuy
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle - Philo of Alexandria

Whether one believes in a religion or not, and whether one believes in rebirth or not, there isn't anyone who doesn't appreciate kindness and compassion - Dalai Lama

Online eh!

• Professor
  • Darwins +427/-89
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #732 on: January 06, 2017, 04:32:33 PM »
For a good example look at any of the discussions with sye ten bruggencate, he refuses to answer any questions at all and rapid fires questions from his  script. He trains people how to do this.

His whole point is to avoid all questions and trap his opponent with word games until they admit they can't know everything therefore they know nothing therefore god.

Have you ever seen him? You want links?

The guy is a POS bully that targets well meaning polite people in ambushes.
some skepisms,
1. "I have not seen God. I have felt the invisible presence"
2. What if there is a rock in the middle of a road, a blind person is speeding towards it, ...they say that they can't see it.   Would you recommend him to keep speeding?

Offline YRM_DM

• Reader
  • Darwins +387/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #733 on: January 06, 2017, 04:41:23 PM »
OCG, you typically answer direct questions, even if you say, "I don't know."

I can find plenty of examples on this forum or others where direct questions aren't answered by people like Bible Student or Skeptic or JW or in Crystal's examples of her discussion on other forums.

It's either one of two things with most believers...

1 - They try to use a series of 'logic' traps to force a believer to admit god is real, then leave the discussion before any actual discussion happens.   Like, Kent Hovind trying to get you down a path of yes-no answers to follow Descarte's theories and admit that philosophical musings prove God.   Like... pinning you down on whether there is good and evil, and implying that if there is, there must be a source, and ignoring that God does and orders done all the evil things they mention in their argument (God does them in Biblical stories)

If you are familiar with what I'm talking about great, if not, dig more into it.
https://www.google.com/search?q=kent+hovind+proof+of+god&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

2 - On the flip side, when we engage believers in discussions... if you question or point out that God is a hypocrit in the stories... or they have personal proof of God but can't demonstrate it... or if any real miracles ever occur... and on and on...    you get a lot of dodging.

Why can't God/Jesus tell you the names of my first three pets?

Why can't or won't God/Jesus heal a special little girl with West's Syndrome?

Why didn't God talk to me the thousands of times I prayed?

Why is God contradictory in the Bible?   Elijah tests him... he challenges you to test him with tithing... but later it says you can't test him?

Why are there so many different descriptions of how to get to heaven?   If one is clearly correct, how come so many denominations disagree?

Are demons a real thing?

Are miracles a real thing?

Maybe it's not so much that Christians won't give answers, it's that most of them don't give consistent answers.

God loves me and wants a personal relationship with me... but, he never talks.

God is capable of anything and promises to answer prayer... but, he never does, he's not some cosmic genie.

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/gumball.htm

God, Jesus and the Spirit are part of some trinity where they're all the same being, but all different, and all divine... but don't know what each other are thinking, but do... but don't...  Jesus literally asks God why God has forsaken him.

If morality stemmed from God, and he's the absolute source of good, then why could he perform evil acts, or order humans to perform evil acts?   And if an act is good just because God ordered it, then how is Andrea Yates wrong for drowning her kids when she was so sure that God ordered it, that she drowned her kids?

God talks to people right?   But he didn't have any motivation to mention to hundreds of people praying to him that a 14 month old girl was baking in a van just feet away?  She died screaming... but God didn't mention to the people in the church praying to him that she was trapped out there, and could easily be saved?

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2010-10-04/news/fl-baby-church-van-20101003_1_sweltering-car-parking-lot-church-congregation

I'm not saying you do this... but talking to most believers is a never ending dance of excuses.

You can't spell BELIEVE without LIE...  and a few other letters.  B and E and V and I think E.

Offline YouCantHandleTheTruth

• Graduate
  • Darwins +85/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #734 on: January 06, 2017, 06:33:35 PM »
For a good example look at any of the discussions with sye ten bruggencate, he refuses to answer any questions at all and rapid fires questions from his  script. He trains people how to do this.

His whole point is to avoid all questions and trap his opponent with word games until they admit they can't know everything therefore they know nothing therefore god.

Have you ever seen him? You want links?

The guy is a POS bully that targets well meaning polite people in ambushes.

There are tons of good, caring Christians.  Unfortunately, there are tons of bad ones - and Bruggencate is just a lousy person.  Agreed, he's just a horrible bully, and I just don't think he listens - he seems like a textbook narcissist.  He'd be this way as an atheist too. 

That just seems to tell us what we already know - there are good and bad Christians, and good and bad atheists.  There's no real connection with religion.  People are who they are - it'd be like saying being a musician makes you a better person than someone who isn't.  There's zero connection. 

I don't even know that religion can make a person that is normally very good a bad person.  We've heard that expression, that to make a good person do bad things it takes religion.  I don't think that's it - I think mob mentality can do that.  And, in the case of religion, you do have that mob.  If everyone thinks gay marriage is wrong in the church, you can be swayed to feel that way too, for acceptance.

Now, think about a girl that wants to join a snotty sorority (ok, ok, not all of them are that way, but let's say for the sake of argument this one is snotty).  It's very possible she'll start acting like a complete jerk to her friends outside of the sorority, in order to gain acceptance with those inside the sorority. So, now you have an example of how a good person can turn bad completely outside of religion.  I think mob mentality is huge in that regard.  How about kids that kill to join gangs?  You can't tell me every one of them was a horrible person - many, I'm thinking, were desperate for attention and acceptance. 

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +423/-5
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #735 on: January 07, 2017, 09:05:20 AM »
You do know this thread was resurrected by a spammer?
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be bleedn obvious.

Online eh!

• Professor
  • Darwins +427/-89
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #736 on: January 07, 2017, 02:11:31 PM »
No??
some skepisms,
2. What if there is a rock in the middle of a road, a blind person is speeding towards it, ...they say that they can't see it.   Would you recommend him to keep speeding?

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +423/-5
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #737 on: January 07, 2017, 09:18:15 PM »
The spam has been deleted. OCG must have pinned the thread, while the spam was there.
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be bleedn obvious.

Online eh!

• Professor
  • Darwins +427/-89
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #738 on: January 07, 2017, 10:19:46 PM »
Huh, explain please??
some skepisms,

Offline The Gawd

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-6
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #739 on: January 07, 2017, 11:43:24 PM »
I'll give an obvious example...

Often times to prove my point I use the story of Adam, Eve, "God" and the snake. In the story it is clear that God lied and the snake was truthful. I discuss with Christians and get them to agree with me all the way to "God said they would die in the day they ate the fruit" also "the snake said they would become like God" then the Christian will agree with me that they did not die in the day they ate the fruit AND that God himself said they had become like him (one of us). Then when asked if God lied (which it is clear to anyone honest) I can NEVER get a "yes".

And there are plenty other such stories which are clear that we cannot get an honest and direct answer to.

Offline OldChurchGuy

• Reader
  • Darwins +189/-3
  • One of those theists who enjoys exchanging ideas
« Reply #740 on: January 10, 2017, 01:40:26 PM »
The spam has been deleted. OCG must have pinned the thread, while the spam was there.

Correct.  It showed up as a new entry and I decided to add my 2 cents worth. 

As always,

OldChurchGuy
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle - Philo of Alexandria

Whether one believes in a religion or not, and whether one believes in rebirth or not, there isn't anyone who doesn't appreciate kindness and compassion - Dalai Lama