Author Topic: Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?  (Read 18377 times)

Online Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +95/-0
  • Living the Dream
Re: Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?
« Reply #725 on: January 21, 2014, 02:07:14 PM »
it's because they know they will fear the answer.

Religous belief becomes part of a person's identity.  Mucking with identity is extremely painful, even though identities change throughout life.

being confronted with the possibility of changing one's identity based on outside factors (not, say, becoming a parent by choice or picking up a new hobby/sport) will cause defensiveness and evasion.  This is why believers go through apologetics and other mental gymnastics to answer what should be simple questions.

Now you may close the thread.  :-)
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • Residential Tulpamancer.
« Reply #726 on: January 21, 2014, 09:49:58 PM »
So, finally after twenty six pages of rambling, dodging, and making irrelevant bullshit arguments...

Theists still cannot answer the thread question...

Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline voodoo child

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-0
« Reply #727 on: January 21, 2014, 10:26:59 PM »
I say, let the page run just like many pages. Its quite fun, refreshing, The sticky the, thumb tack. 

Hell,  i thought it was funny when the guy showed up professing RA or some dam thing. another thread, another time.. 

Why is it so hard for a believer to answer a direct question?

It's like a tattoo..      :?                  well, that's what you asked for…     ;D

The classical man is just a bundle of routine, ideas and tradition. If you follow the classical pattern, you are understanding the routine, the tradition, the shadow, you are not understanding yourself. Truth has no path. Truth is living and therefore changing. Bruce lee

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #728 on: January 23, 2014, 04:49:22 PM »
No one is asking you to accept anything exists especially that of folk lore.

if you accept the definition of God as eternal thus making you a believer that it exists because it is in the dictionary 

What's wrong with these two quotes of yours?
nothing is wrong with it. They are queries to find your truth so we can build upon it slowly.
How do you define your statements, which do not end in a question mark, nor ask a question as 'inquires;' yet my post, which does end in a question mark, as a declaration of faith?
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #729 on: January 24, 2014, 04:11:02 AM »
Jesuis is taking a short break from the forums.  Please don't expect any responses from him for a week or so.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +829/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #730 on: January 24, 2014, 05:24:46 PM »
And not a moment too soon. :angel:
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.