Author Topic: Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?  (Read 26204 times)

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • Retired Residential Tulpamancer.
Re: Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?
« Reply #696 on: January 19, 2014, 11:12:58 PM »
I can - just coming on here teaches me a lot. Wherever I put my attention there is learning going on.

Pm me with what the theory of evolution says, the big bang, and abiogenesis, then i will see how much you can learn. (no copy paste)
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline Jesuis

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +10/-160
  • WWGHA Member
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #697 on: January 20, 2014, 01:17:57 AM »
I can - just coming on here teaches me a lot. Wherever I put my attention there is learning going on.

Pm me with what the theory of evolution says, the big bang, and abiogenesis, then i will see how much you can learn. (no copy paste)
Lets start with what we know. One step at a time.
According to Theists: Theists know God, Atheists don't.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #698 on: January 20, 2014, 01:23:34 AM »

Piss off, don't dodge the request, PM me now.
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline Jesuis

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +10/-160
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #699 on: January 20, 2014, 01:31:05 AM »

Piss off, don't dodge the request, PM me now.
Honestly I hate working here these people are so weird.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #700 on: January 20, 2014, 01:33:15 AM »

That is not a valid excuse, state that you refuse my trivial request, or PM me.

Or get reported repeatedly.

Choose.

Offline Jesuis

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +10/-160
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #701 on: January 20, 2014, 01:49:40 AM »

That is not a valid excuse, state that you refuse my trivial request, or PM me.

Or get reported repeatedly.

Choose.
What is PM

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #702 on: January 20, 2014, 01:59:48 AM »
What is PM

It stands for "Private Message".

Do so now.

Offline Jesuis

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +10/-160
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #703 on: January 20, 2014, 02:04:44 AM »
What is PM

It stands for "Private Message".

Do so now.
What is a private message? Why would I do that. I am going for a walkabout. Will chat later. I hate being spontaneous to strangers. Cheers.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #704 on: January 20, 2014, 02:11:44 AM »
What is a private message? Why would I do that. I am going for a walkabout. Will chat later. I hate being spontaneous to strangers. Cheers.

That's it, you are a troll.

*another report incoming, mods, do something*

Offline voodoo child

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-0
« Reply #705 on: January 20, 2014, 02:12:15 AM »

I hate being spontaneous to strangers.

LOL.
The classical man is just a bundle of routine, ideas and tradition. If you follow the classical pattern, you are understanding the routine, the tradition, the shadow, you are not understanding yourself. Truth has no path. Truth is living and therefore changing. Bruce lee

Offline Jesuis

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +10/-160
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #706 on: January 20, 2014, 02:24:16 AM »

That's it, you are a troll.

*another report incoming, mods, do something*
In the dungeon?

Offline Jesuis

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +10/-160
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #707 on: January 20, 2014, 02:26:35 AM »

I hate being spontaneous to strangers.

LOL.
This guy is killing me. I should have gone already. Im off for now. I doubt anyone on here is ever truly going to give me a straight answer but they sure expect one from me or ill miss my bus.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #708 on: January 20, 2014, 02:30:07 AM »
This guy is killing me. I should have gone already. Im off for now. I doubt anyone on here is ever truly going to give me a straight answer but they sure expect one from me or ill miss my bus.

Yeah, sure, give a straight answer aimed at THEISTS.

That is like expecting a vegetarian to answer (factually) why non vegetarians eat meat.

Offline voodoo child

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-0
« Reply #709 on: January 20, 2014, 02:37:32 AM »

I doubt anyone on here is ever truly going to give me a straight answer but they sure expect one from me or ill miss my bus.

because the questions you asked were nonsense. I think A and A has asked you a dozen or so reasonable questions and yet you answer the OP quite well.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 02:41:26 AM by voodoo child »
The classical man is just a bundle of routine, ideas and tradition. If you follow the classical pattern, you are understanding the routine, the tradition, the shadow, you are not understanding yourself. Truth has no path. Truth is living and therefore changing. Bruce lee

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #710 on: January 20, 2014, 02:48:17 AM »
because the questions you asked were nonsense. I think A and A has asked you a dozen or so reasonable questions and yet you answer the OP quite well.

Yep, hence "troll".

Offline voodoo child

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-0
« Reply #711 on: January 20, 2014, 03:18:38 AM »
Not sure if he's a troll, per say, but just some guy with strange ideas about what he thinks life is.

let him bump into some more walls, eventually he will find the door.   ;)

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #712 on: January 20, 2014, 03:27:25 AM »
Not sure if he's a troll, per say, but just some guy with strange ideas about what he thinks life is.

He is either a troll, or he is the thickest, most idiotic, most theistic atheist i have ever seen...

let him bump into some more walls, eventually he will find the door.   ;)

I wish, so far all he has been doing is shitting on the chessboard, and then leaving.

Offline voodoo child

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-0
« Reply #713 on: January 20, 2014, 03:52:54 AM »
Most idiotic is the best description.      I think hes loopy as a can of silly string.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #714 on: January 20, 2014, 03:55:16 AM »
What I find idiotic about him, is his signature.

I mean...what the heck does that even mean?

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +55/-8
  • Humanists. Not perfect. Not forgiven. Responsible.
« Reply #715 on: January 20, 2014, 04:44:28 AM »
I can say something intelligent for you.
Do try, as it would be a first.
We theists have no evidence for our beliefs. So no amount of rational evidence will dissuade us from those beliefs. - JCisall

It would be pretty piss poor brainwashing, if the victims knew they were brainwashed, wouldn't it? - Screwtape. 04/12/12

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +103/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #716 on: January 20, 2014, 05:46:46 AM »

it looks like a version of - the only difference between a theist and an atheist is that the atheist believes in one less god

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +411/-5
« Reply #717 on: January 20, 2014, 05:48:43 AM »
not what I am looking for. You know what I am looking for. And you know you do not have it. I have established that already. Nice try on a cover up, but franckly it is still dodging the single question I asked. And don't ask me what the single question is. It might have been erased by another so rude and with power to be rude. So thanks but no thanks.

Hello Jesuis.  I am the moderator that removed several of your posts.  They were removed because - rather than engage in a debate - you had decided to quote and answer yourself.  That was deemed trolling, and the offending posts were removed.

As I said at the time, it is perfectly possible to make a legitimate post that contains rhetorical questions in order to lead to a point.  If you feel that would help your case, then by all means do so.  But that can be done in a single post, without the conceit of "quoting" yourself.

You feel that jdawg is not answering a question you posed.  I would suggest that you repeat the question so that we can be sure.  You seem to be saying that the question was lost when I removed your posts - that may be the case, but consider: how can you know that Jdawg saw the question before it was removed?

Bottom line: if you want your question answered, you will re-state it.  It you do not restate it (or quote it, or direct us to the post number it was asked), then you will stop referring to it please.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline SevenPatch

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +108/-4
  • A source will help me understand.
« Reply #718 on: January 20, 2014, 01:58:07 PM »

It’s his redefinition of the words “atheist” and “theist”.  To him, the word “theist” means someone who knows God, and I mean like literally knows, like they met God, had a beer and text message each other like they are BFF’s.  Anyone who doesn’t actually know God is then an “atheist”, which I think he agrees is everyone on the planet, since no one on the planet currently knows God.  He has basically lumped the common definitions for agnostic theist, agnostic atheist and gnostic atheist into one group.

What Jesuis doesn’t explain, is how he would ever know a “theist” (according to his definition) has ever existed.  He is also going to great lengths to separate knowing from believing, which to me says he has also redefined those words as well.

Trying to understand someone who has redefined most of the words which are critical to the discussion is like pulling teeth. 

It doesn’t seem that his language or vocabulary has words which define concepts necessary to have a positive discussion.  It also doesn’t seem like he has any interest in having a discussion using words based on their commonly accepted definitions.  I would find it hard to believe that he doesn’t already understand English fairly well, if he is redefining words.  Why someone who doesn’t fully understand a language would choose to redefine the words is currently beyond my comprehension.

As long as Jesuis continues to use his own personal redefinitions in place of commonly accepted definitions for words, it will be very difficult to have a meaningful discussion.

"Shut him up! We have a lot invested in this ride - SHUT HIM UP! Look at my furrows of worry! Look at my big bank account, and my family! This just HAS to be real!" - Bill Hicks

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +941/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #719 on: January 20, 2014, 04:56:14 PM »
And that would be an lie. Once you revert back to sensible, you don't return to nonsense.
You're conflating atheism and being sensible.  Atheism is simply the lack of belief in gods.  It has nothing to do with being sensible or not, as there can be non-sensible atheists.

This is true. I think the US is becoming more secular as people drift away from religion, but it does not mean that everyone is becoming more rational or sensible. In Europe and Japan lots of people are atheists, but it does not stop their governments from having stupid military, political and economic policies. People are becoming atheists in the sense that they don't believe in any of the standard ancient gods. But they are still prone to every other silly made-up crap idea that comes down the pike. They don't apply the same rationality in every area of life.

Like anti-vaccination, alien abductions, more guns!=liberty and freedom, positive thinking makes you rich, becoming vegan makes you a better person, you won't get pregnant/AIDS/herpes if the person is "nice", zombie apocalypse, melanin gives you magic powers, dreadlocks give you magic powers, communism or capitalism will save us all, USA!USA! but voting doesn't matter, if you get thin enough and pretty enough you will be happy forever, climate change denial, gay is better than straight, more piercing and tattoos make you look original and artsy, getting high makes you see reality better, white supremacy, and whatever Rush Limbaugh, Donald Trump, Jimmy Kimmel, Oprah or Ellen said today.

Show me some good evidence if you want me to believe something or agree with a policy; that has to be everyone's framework, for everything, religious or otherwise. It is a hard way to be, which is why most of us fall off the wagon from time to time.

Back in my Trekkie days, I hung out with lots of people who were, by every definition, atheists. They were really nerdy, smart outcasts with strange analytical personalities who had seen right through organized religion. But they had a fatal weakness- they were all one shaky step away from falling down and worshipping Mr. Spock, Dr. Who or Isaac Asimov.[1]

We still need to emphasize rational thinking and the scientific method, even with atheists. Or we will all end up, disbelieving in gods but still trapped in a 1970's era sci-fi convention. Forever. :o

1. I have to admit that I got pretty close to becoming a polytheist, myself, thinking Isaac Asimov, Carl Sagan and James Burke were gods. But at least they were real and did some seriously cool nerd sh!t...
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #720 on: January 21, 2014, 09:52:50 AM »

When you don't know something you should admit it. That is your problem. You are unwilling to admit ignorance. You are stuck in "I MUST HAVE THE ANSWER AND KNOW IT RIGHT NOW!" syndrome. It gets old. You make mere assertions, based on hear-say, about "frequency" and those assertions are based upon your faulty reasoning and jumping to conclusions without having ever researched the topics in any detail. Why are you experiencing resistance from our members here? Because you are gullible!!! Like most theists you are willing to believe nonsense to satisfy some emotional need you have to obtain some 'final answer' about life, death, or some alleged creator. You have forgotten that belief is to be rendered AFTER sufficient evidence has been brought forth (not before), and it is that which you do not have. Just talking about frequencies or how all matter is vibrating comes nowhere near demonstrating a coherent and sufficient model of what makes up life or reality. You are working in the opposite direction of science. Science starts with an hypothesis, and then moves to testing and conclusion. You have started with your conclusion and are looking for confirmation. That is anti-science. 

Do you even care whether or not your beliefs are true?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 10:02:13 AM by median »
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-8
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #721 on: January 21, 2014, 10:39:15 AM »
Why someone who doesn’t fully understand a language would choose to redefine the words is currently beyond my comprehension.

To confuse people and create a smokescreen that his arguments are just shite.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +436/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #722 on: January 21, 2014, 12:48:57 PM »
Why someone who doesn’t fully understand a language would choose to redefine the words is currently beyond my comprehension.

To confuse people and create a smokescreen that his arguments are just shite.
I haven't seen him make an argument of any kind yet.  All I've seen from him is putting keywords together in a sentence-like structure and slapping a question mark at the end of it.

He's hoping that between his ramblings and the responses he gets from those ramblings that enough big, ethereal sounding words will come out and some nugget of actual truth will accidentally fall out of it.

The 'Hail Mary Pass' methodology of truth seeking.  It appears to work as well as you'd expect.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +551/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #723 on: January 21, 2014, 01:01:25 PM »
Has the title question "Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?" been answered yet?

I see Jesuis has been very helpful with practical examples of not answering direct questions.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +121/-1
« Reply #724 on: January 21, 2014, 01:05:24 PM »
Has the title question "Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?" been answered yet?

I see Jesuis has been very helpful with practical examples of not answering direct questions.

I doubt we will ever know the answer to this one. Maybe it is hidden in the mystery of god. All we know is that theists do this and that, at the least, it is quite annoying.

Meanwhile, perhaps it is time to call a halt after 25 pages of no getting anywhere and try a new topic.
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)