Author Topic: What if you choose the wrong god?  (Read 441 times)

Offline junebug72

• Fellow
  • Darwins +310/-114
  • MIGHT DOES NOT MAKE RIGHT
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
What if you choose the wrong god?
« on: January 10, 2017, 05:29:34 AM »
Do you think that God would be more upset with an atheist or a theist who chooses the wrong god?  How about a theist that interprets it all wrong maybe commits genocide or mass murders in God's name like Moses did? 

If you think God give us reason and logic then would it not follow that God wants us to use these tools to decide. 

It seems logical to me that God would not be brought to jealousy and wrath by non-belief but could be if your belief is all wrong. 

I for one see atheism as the safest approach to gods.  The amount of gods to choose from is daunting.  It could not be done in 1 lifetime.  That is a real search for truth.  Examining closely each and every claim.

MY POSTS CAN TAKE DAYS FOR APPROVAL.....

Offline YouCantHandleTheTruth

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +100/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Re: What if you choose the wrong god?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 02:54:03 PM »
Do you think that God would be more upset with an atheist or a theist who chooses the wrong god?  How about a theist that interprets it all wrong maybe commits genocide or mass murders in God's name like Moses did? 

If you think God give us reason and logic then would it not follow that God wants us to use these tools to decide. 

It seems logical to me that God would not be brought to jealousy and wrath by non-belief but could be if your belief is all wrong. 

I for one see atheism as the safest approach to gods.  The amount of gods to choose from is daunting.  It could not be done in 1 lifetime.  That is a real search for truth.  Examining closely each and every claim.

A lot to chew on there JB.  The first part is the perfect counter to the "What if You're Wrong?" argument we get from Christians all the time.  They say "If we're wrong, we lose nothing," which of course we know is pretty silly - they'd have wasted a lot of time worrying about avoiding hell and scaring a lot of children into believing in it, among other things.  What else does that statement say?  To me, it implies that they know they could be wrong.  Why even pose the possibility that they could be wrong?  Isn't God and the Holy Spirit in them?  Doesn't that mean it's impossible for them to be wrong?

I wonder what percentage of Christians know that Moses was a mass murderer?  What percentage read Numbers?  I'm not sure.  How many really stick with the Bible reading plan, and for those that do, how many just glaze over it like a zombie from Matthew 27:52?

To add to your point about what if you actually have the right God but are misinterpreting, I'd also ask most theists to consider Matthew 7:22-24.  "On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name? And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness."

I mean...what if you actually believed in him, and you guessed right and picked the correct God - but your belief wasn't truly sincere?  You could do all these great things in his name, and he can STILL tell you it ain't enough.  Boy, wouldn't THAT be a shame?

You're absolutely right on studying all the Gods.  We could never study them all, nor, quite frankly, will we ever be made aware of all the ones that existed in the past.  With so many of the civilizations that were wiped out through genocide or just a hostile takeover, we'll never know what Gods or spirits these people followed.

Offline eh!

• Professor
  • Darwins +457/-109
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 05:20:36 PM »
Look guys, if you haven't already chosen me as the one true god I will forgive you this one time. You have been warned so on your knees and worship me and I might consider sparing  you.
some skepisms,
1. "I have not seen God. I have felt the invisible presence"
2. What if there is a rock in the middle of a road, a blind person is speeding towards it, ...they say that they can't see it.   Would you recommend him to keep speeding?

Offline shnozzola

• Fellow
  • Darwins +228/-2
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 06:01:46 PM »

For those that may have forgotten some Gods or become bewildered, here is your list.   Please, take your time.    Choose..........wisely!

https://web.archive.org/web/20120427022945/http://www.godfinder.org/
We have guided missiles and misguided men.  ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

“Who cares if Kim Jung-Un gets a nuke. Nukes don’t kill people, people kill people.”