Author Topic: Office prank creativity needed  (Read 582 times)

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +167/-71
Office prank creativity needed
« on: July 15, 2013, 06:08:48 PM »
Warning: you may find this rather dull. Only proceed if you're really bored..

Here in my neck of Australia there is an annual football (rugby league) series played between the states of New South Wales and Queensland.  (for specifics, see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Origin_series)

It's always keenly anticipated and the subject of much pre-game discussion here in my office. I have the dubious honour of being a life long and passionate New South Wales supporter (I grew up in Sydney) who has now lived in Queensland for many years. Each year I stir things up by composing a poem rubbishing the chances of Queensland victory and emailing it to the entire office. I've done this now for 6 years. Unfortunately, Queensland have won the last 7 series.

Tomorrow night the third and deciding match in the 2013 series will be played. I have high hopes for a New South Wales victory at long last, and if that happens I wish to mark the occasion by getting to the office at the crack of dawn the next day and doing something to rub it in.

New South Wales are known as "the blues" - they play in a blue strip. So I was thinking of basing whatever I do around the color blue. My first thought was to simply hang blue streamers and balloons everywhere, however this is a touch predictable and also fairly labour intensive. I then thought of buying a few reams of blue paper and re-stocking the various printers. However, that runs the risk of mangement getting their knickers in a knot about abuse of equipment, wasted ink etc.

So I'm stuck for ideas, and would appreciate any creative suggestions. For visualisation purposes, I work in a large open plan office with about 70 desks, partitions and various smaller offices.
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
Re: Office prank creativity needed
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 07:07:51 PM »
I then thought of buying a few reams of blue paper and re-stocking the various printers. However, that runs the risk of mangement getting their knickers in a knot about abuse of equipment, wasted ink etc.

This idea is good.
Why not ask management first?  I can't see them objecting to something that boosts office morale - and they can claim to have been "in" on the whole idea.
Git mit uns

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +167/-71
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 07:12:13 PM »
I then thought of buying a few reams of blue paper and re-stocking the various printers. However, that runs the risk of mangement getting their knickers in a knot about abuse of equipment, wasted ink etc.

This idea is good.
Why not ask management first?  I can't see them objecting to something that boosts office morale - and they can claim to have been "in" on the whole idea.

I ran it past a manager who is also a NSW supporter and he pretty much said what I thought....good idea, but there is always that one person who has a whinge about such things. I might do it anyway...I have a pretty good standing in the company and I wouldn't get into any real trouble.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +167/-71
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 12:14:20 AM »
I'm way behind the 8 ball now. I emailed our IT person to ask if he could arrange for 'New South Wales' to pop up on everybody's screen if they won.

Bastard emailed back to the whole office saying this wasn't possible, but it was possible to arrange for 'Queensland' to appear on my screen. The office found this very amusing. My element of surprise is more or less now gone...

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 12:52:51 AM »
Hahaha, that's gold  ;D
The bloody Maroons will probably clean up the series anyway  :police:
As a Sydneysider I shouldn't say this, but I'm in awe of the spirit the Queenslanders find in tough times - they certainly punch above their weight.
But the Union supporter in me says it all serves League damn right for stealing all the schoolboy rugby talent for such a dumb game  ;)
My description of Rugby League:

One guy runs into three, wiggles, gets up  :-\
Then play Rugby Union  ;D briefly before giving the ball to the opposition  :blank:
Git mit uns

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +167/-71
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 12:57:06 AM »
Hahaha, that's gold  ;D
The bloody Maroons will probably clean up the series anyway  :police:
As a Sydneysider I shouldn't say this, but I'm in awe of the spirit the Queenslanders find in tough times - they certainly punch above their weight.
But the Union supporter in me says it all serves League damn right for stealing all the schoolboy rugby talent for such a dumb game  ;)
My description of Rugby League:

Then play Rugby Union  ;D briefly before giving the ball to the opposition  :blank:

Ha Ha. I appreciate Rugby, but at times my definition of it is thus:

Maul forms, referee allows play to go on
Maul forms in exact same way, referee penalises defense
Maul forms, referee allows play to continue
Maul forms, referee penalises attack

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +45/-0
  • Human Bean
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 01:22:34 AM »
Rugby, bah... what sort of ball game asks the players to throw the ball backwards, for pity's sake? Gimme AFL anyday!
It's YOUR god, it's YOUR rules, YOU go to hell.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means...

"Noah's ark is a problem. We'll have to call it early quantum state phenomenon, only way to fit 5000 species of mammal in the same boat."
- River Tam

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +167/-71
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 01:28:13 AM »
AFL...where you get 'encouragement' points when you miss... ;)

Offline sun_king

• Graduate
  • Darwins +25/-0
  • We see things not as they are, but as we are
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 02:10:45 AM »
Rugby, bah... what sort of ball game asks the players to throw the ball backwards, for pity's sake? Gimme AFL anyday!

Rugby is a game played by men with peculiarly shaped balls...

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +124/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 05:04:54 AM »
I was wondering, is Anthrax funny? Or would that be taking it too far?

I like the printer idea, I think regardless of what you do you'll get the humourless wanker who only knows the dictionary definition of 'fun'. ;)

I suppose you could do a version of Rickrolling, perhaps an internal email or bulletin or something web-based where you trick them into watching a video celebrating the Blues, perhaps with annoying music in the background - I don't know what your film editing is like, but I'm sure you could make something creative, yet annoying.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +167/-71
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 05:37:24 AM »
I was wondering, is Anthrax funny? Or would that be taking it too far?

The last person to release Anthrax into the office got a written warning. We all took note of that. No anthrax in the office.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 05:40:37 AM by magicmiles »

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +45/-0
  • Human Bean
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 07:29:35 AM »
AFL...where you get 'encouragement' points when you miss... ;)

Yeah, you keep telling yourself that. Meanwhile, rugby players stick their heads up each other's arses...

"Noah's ark is a problem. We'll have to call it early quantum state phenomenon, only way to fit 5000 species of mammal in the same boat."
- River Tam

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 07:55:22 AM »
Yeah, you keep telling yourself that. Meanwhile, rugby players stick their heads up each other's arses...

Oh c'mon natlegend you know that's not really true  :police:  Not in Union.  It's only in League that certain players have been known to deploy a digit in that particular direction ... and even then for "tactical" reasons only :laugh:

BTW who are you barracking for tomorrow - Blues or Maroons?
I'm going turncoat and betting on the Maroons  :o

Unlike the Blues, Queensland's preparation has been faultless with Greg Inglis overcoming a minor sickness last week to train strongly Tuesday.
Meninga said fear of failure was a motivator as Queensland attempts to win eight straight series.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/fear-of-failure-driving-queensland-maroons/story-fni3fr52-1226680314548

It's worked for them in the past  :laugh:
Git mit uns

Offline DumpsterFire

• Graduate
  • Darwins +57/-0
  • The Flaming Duck of Death!
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 09:36:29 AM »
You could put a few drops of blue food coloring in the water cooler. Even better if you could somehow affix your team's logo on or in it.
Providing rednecks with sunblock since 1996.

I once met a man who claimed to be a genius, then boasted that he was a member of "Mesa".

Think for yourself.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +124/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, 03:17:59 PM »
Suppose you could change people's backgrounds on their computer

One thing somebody did today to somebody was to change their theme setting to 'high contrast' and made the screen upside whilst they were on their break. Not exactly hardcore, but a giggle.

Or you could use somebody's account to send a mass email declaring love for the team. Even better if they hate the team. For instance we had somebody openly declare how much they loved an individual in the office.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +167/-71
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2013, 03:33:43 PM »
Thanks for these suggestions. I may end up just composing a cheeky victory poem. Its all highly hypothetical, as Queensland are huge favourites to win again.

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +45/-0
  • Human Bean
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 07:13:55 AM »
BTW who are you barracking for tomorrow - Blues or Maroons?
I'm going turncoat and betting on the Maroons

I'm barracking for Hawthorn.

;D ;D ;D

- River Tam

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +167/-71
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2013, 07:20:10 AM »
Stupid Queensland won. Again.

Interesting part of the game came with 3 minutes to go when a really fat, ugly male straker ran onto the field. He was the most dangerous looking NSW ball runner all night.

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2013, 07:29:05 AM »
How long does blue printer paper last before it fades to a sort of yellow-maroon?  :laugh:

Git mit uns

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +167/-71
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2013, 05:16:37 AM »
Well, William, my rugby league season ended with disappointment. I am a rabid Sea Eagles fan, and treated myself to grand final tickets and a weekend in Sydney. Only to see the Roosters prevail....

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2013, 05:09:00 PM »
I'm for the Sea Eagles too  :(  Oh well, nevermind, it was all entertainment as intended!
Git mit uns

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-2
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2013, 03:05:21 AM »
See? that's what I'm always on about wrt offence taking. Offence taking has become a bit of an artform.
Personally, I try to never take offence at anything. You can mock my race, nation, religion[1], gender[2], political views, musical likes and favorite sports team. I will not get offended. And ooooh yes, I will poke fun at any and all of these with other people[3].
So, magicmiles, even though you had very little hope of coming out on top in this, you tried to pull something anyway, opening yourself up to ridicule. I like it.
And better luck next time, what!

Oh, and since the Dutch won't be group leaders in Brasil, the laws of screwed up averages dictate they'll end up in the Belgian group. So, I'll appologize ahead of time for kicking their orange asses out of the World Cup. ;)
 1. or lack thereof
 2. or lack thereof ;)
 3. within reason
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +167/-71
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2013, 01:59:52 PM »
Why wont the Dutch be group leaders? Stuffed if i understand FIFA

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-2
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2013, 12:43:46 AM »
They might yet be ... If Jordan knocks Uruguay out of it.
The Dutch are eighth[1] on the FIFA ranking, a grand total of TWO points behind Switserland.
And the group leaders are Brasil and the top seven teams.
But, like I said, Uruguay still has to get past Jordan. So, there's hope yet for the Dutch.

Earlier this year, the Dutch went on a little tour of East Asia, playing China and Indonesia, apparently both waved huge stacks of cash at the Dutch to get them to come over. They of course handily won both games but ... since especially Indonesia is such a lowly ranked country, The Netherlands barely got any points. Had they played ... even Luxembourg in stead, they'd be ranked above Switserland now.
 1. is that a weirdly spelled word or what?!
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +167/-71
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2013, 05:50:28 PM »
They might yet be ... If Jordan knocks Uruguay out of it.
The Dutch are eighth[1] on the FIFA ranking, a grand total of TWO points behind Switserland.
And the group leaders are Brasil and the top seven teams.
But, like I said, Uruguay still has to get past Jordan. So, there's hope yet for the Dutch.

Earlier this year, the Dutch went on a little tour of East Asia, playing China and Indonesia, apparently both waved huge stacks of cash at the Dutch to get them to come over. They of course handily won both games but ... since especially Indonesia is such a lowly ranked country, The Netherlands barely got any points. Had they played ... even Luxembourg in stead, they'd be ranked above Switserland now.
 1. is that a weirdly spelled word or what?!

I find the rankings bizarre, as you could count the number of Dutch losses over the last 8 years on one hand.