Author Topic: New moon of Neptune discovered  (Read 862 times)

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
New moon of Neptune discovered
« on: July 15, 2013, 12:56:05 PM »
Found pretty much by accident as an astronomer was perusing some old photographs taken by the Hubble.

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/astronomer-discovers-neptunes-smallest-moon-whim-6C10640770
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
Re: New moon of Neptune discovered
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 01:00:49 PM »
It's a teapot!
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +551/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 02:07:43 PM »
Neptune is 2.8 Billion miles away, thirty times further than the sun. The moon is 8.7 miles across.

If I've got the decimal point right, this is the equivalent of seeing something that is 0.002mm (3/8000") long at a distance of 10km (8miles)
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 02:23:19 PM »
From the article, this dude is a bit of a moon hound - it's not the first one he has found. 

I find it fascinating how much "stuff" is floating around out there in our known universe that can surprise us, not to mention Voyager headed out into interstellar space any time now (all you scientific-types feel free to assail me on my lack of knowledge - I was a believer for years, so my growth was stunted  :laugh:)

If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 03:40:39 PM »
It's a teapot!
Heretic !!!  It is a jug of milk.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 03:54:17 PM »
a distance of 10km (8miles)

Not that its overly important, but 10 km is about 6.4 miles.
Go on up you baldhead.

Online jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +599/-19
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 03:56:35 PM »
Seems a little small to be considered a moon.  8.7 miles in diameter is substantially smaller in terms of surface area than the state of Rhode Island (238 square miles vs 1212).  So now we have a new standard for "tiny", I guess.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 04:31:05 PM »
^^^^well, it is pretty cold... maybe a little shrinkage going on? 

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 10:04:24 PM »
Seems a little small to be considered a moon.  8.7 miles in diameter is substantially smaller in terms of surface area than the state of Rhode Island (238 square miles vs 1212).  So now we have a new standard for "tiny", I guess.

Well, it seems to fit the currently-accepted definition of "natural satellite":http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_satellite

As our instruments and probes get better and better, we find out more about the planets, moons and asteroids. Our astronomical nomenclature will have to keep pace; maybe poor Pluto will be booted from dwarf planet to another category  :'(
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Online jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +599/-19
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 10:09:37 AM »
Well, it seems to fit the currently-accepted definition of "natural satellite":http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_satellite

As our instruments and probes get better and better, we find out more about the planets, moons and asteroids. Our astronomical nomenclature will have to keep pace; maybe poor Pluto will be booted from dwarf planet to another category  :'(
No argument about it being a natural satellite, but I think we're going to have to come up with some additional nomenclature.  Referring to something that's (frankly) tiny compared to most asteroids as a moon is a bit annoying.

We have dwarf planets (like Ceres, never mind Pluto)...why not something like dwarf moons?

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 10:26:51 AM »
We have dwarf planets (like Ceres, never mind Pluto)...why not something like dwarf moons?

"What else orbits a gas giant?"

"Umm... moons!  Moons!  Lead!  Very small rocks!"

"A DUCK!"
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 12:48:35 PM »
No argument about it being a natural satellite, but I think we're going to have to come up with some additional nomenclature.  Referring to something that's (frankly) tiny compared to most asteroids as a moon is a bit annoying.

I quite agree. And maybe professional astronomers are tearing out their hair as the mass media uses the generic "moon" for any rock orbiting a major body, while waiting for their nomenclature to become official and accepted by popular culture.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 12:52:25 PM »
let's see... neptune, god of the sea... something really small floating around it...
how about calling it a raft?

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +709/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 01:01:28 PM »
dinghy.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +437/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, 01:42:30 PM »
That's no moon - it's a space station!
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2013, 01:51:58 PM »
Can someone alert magicmiles to this thread?  I'm waiting on a good Uranus line...

Offline Samothec

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-2
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2013, 02:33:54 PM »
^^^ Butt it's been a long time since someone found Uranus.

Hey, you need to wait for the right opening.   :D

Everyone is down on Pluto being named a dwarf planet. Yet I think is makes the solar system more interesting since we have Ceres, Pluto, Haumea, Makemake, and Eris as recognized dwarf planets. With Orcus, Quaoar, Sedna, and 2007 OR10 being the next four likely to be recognized. Hopefully with a name for the last one.

Size comparison of some of the dwarf planets (recognized & some not yet official)[1]
 1. from Wikipedia
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +56/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2013, 07:45:08 PM »
How difficult can finding a new moon really be?  After all, Don Ameche and Betty Grable found one over Miami way back in 1941.
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +56/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2013, 07:48:04 PM »
...I'm waiting on a good Uranus line...

Oh, oh, oh... What's worse than Romulans around Neptune?  Klingons around Uranus!
-- Bernie Katz

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2013, 07:52:16 PM »
Can someone alert magicmiles to this thread?  I'm waiting on a good Uranus line...

What are you insinuating?

Or would you call it more of an in-your-end-o?
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +56/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2013, 08:02:25 PM »

Or would you call it more of an in-your-end-o?

Someone who has too much time on their hands did all the Uranus joke work for us.  Hard to believe a world without the Internet...

http://www.nottriangles.com/blog/uranus.html
-- Bernie Katz