Author Topic: Russia Says It Will Arrest Openly Gay Tourists  (Read 489 times)

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +263/-33
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Russia Says It Will Arrest Openly Gay Tourists
« on: July 13, 2013, 12:50:40 PM »
http://www.travelandescape.ca/2013/07/russia-says-it-will-arrest-openly-gay-tourists/

Hilarious, in a way. Like someone on AF said, sounds like Putin is compensating for something.

Found over on AF.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
Re: Russia Says It Will Arrest Openly Gay Tourists
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 01:00:42 PM »
Simple solution.  Spend your tourist money somewhere else.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 04:52:58 PM »
If a guy's wearing a pink shirt, he's in trouble.

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 06:35:08 PM »
Damn.  I had no idea.  I mean, I know that Uganda and Afghanistan are not really good places for same sex couples to travel.  But Russia? 

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 07:16:15 PM »
Yes, this has been going around Facebook. Many are calling for boycotts of the Olympics, and I support that.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +235/-0
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 07:25:31 PM »
Yes, this has been going around Facebook. Many are calling for boycotts of the Olympics, and I support that.

I absolutely support the boycott.  (I also have a very, very, very bad feeling about Sochi, and I think they should just call it off.)
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +29/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 07:48:19 PM »
   Russia isn't exactly a hotspot for tourism.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 12:44:05 AM »
I wonder if gay citizens are okay?

-Nam

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 01:08:39 AM »

-Nam

No, they're not. The new law is simply an extension of the existing laws, making them applicable to visitors in addition to citizens.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline alexreflex

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • ukelele player
    • my songs
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 10:15:45 PM »
No, they're not. The new law is simply an extension of the existing laws, making them applicable to visitors in addition to citizens.
lesbian men are allowed.
don't take the last 2 donuts.  leave 1 for the next.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +124/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 12:37:11 AM »
There goes my secret mission to steal back the super bowl ring.    >:(
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 01:07:04 AM »
Doesn't Russia have the same right to outlaw homosexuality as the USA does to outlaw...whatever?

The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 08:01:32 AM »
   Russia isn't exactly a hotspot for tourism.
Don't they have the winter Olympics coming up?  If so, lots of tourist and athletes will be there...maybe not leaving.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 03:13:58 PM »
the athletes will be fine - the olympic village is like being in the UN - get out of jail free cards to everyone, so they can all shag anyone to their hearts content.
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +781/-4
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 03:37:36 PM »
Doesn't Russia have the same right to outlaw homosexuality as the USA does to outlaw...whatever?

Of course they do. Russia is a sovereign state. But it does not follow that we have to give them our support or our tourist money.

I know that many countries are upset (and I agree with them) that the US executes people, that we have the right for nearly anyone to own a gun, that we have no universal health care, and we put people in jail, basically, for having mental problems. They can't make us change, but they don't have to support or give us tourist money.

If we don't respect each other's sovereignty (and I know the US often doesn't--cough Bosnia, Iraq, Libya, Afghanistan cough) than India can ban beef production everywhere, Israel can decide that nobody in the world can eat pork, and Iran can impose its dress codes on the whole planet.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2013, 02:51:48 PM »
Iran has a dress code? I know women in most Islamic countries have a dress code but overall, and just Iran?

-Nam

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +781/-4
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2013, 03:17:52 PM »
Iran has a dress code? I know women in most Islamic countries have a dress code but overall, and just Iran?

-Nam

Iran and Saudi Arabia are two countries where the strict Islamic dress codes for men and women are the law of the land. Religious police patrol around and enforce the rules. Even foreigners and tourists have to abide (to some extent) by the religious rules-- it is not a choice. In most other Muslim countries, like Turkey, Senegal, Egypt and Indonesia, there are secular laws and people can wear traditional or modern clothing as they please.

Even in the really strict places, the dress codes have only been imposed by law since the 1980's. The Islamic crackdown is a modern phenomenon, seen as a reaction to the overwhelming military, political and cultural influence of the "decadent west".

Older women in strict Muslim countries (including Afghanistan) remember having much more freedom and more rights when they were younger than women and girls do today. Saudi women used to drive cars, Afghan women wore pants and mini-skirts, Iranian women danced to rock music and drank alcohol at parties; but none of that is allowed now.

It is like what the religious right would do in the US if they had the chance.... :o

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2013, 03:39:12 PM »
Funny, I saw a recent news video from Iran where, though the woman was wearing a colorful scarf around her hair, she was wearing a loose blouse and jeans. I don't think it's "strictly" enforced in Iran as you seem to think it is. Saudi Arabia, well, that place is the epitome of conservativity.

-Nam

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +267/-31
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2013, 03:49:41 PM »

As much right as they have to outlaw freedom of speech, etc.  No reason to object to this, or to Communist-era freedom-restrictions, right?  I mean, they have a right to outlaw whatever they wish.  Right?
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +781/-4
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2013, 05:00:42 PM »
Funny, I saw a recent news video from Iran where, though the woman was wearing a colorful scarf around her hair, she was wearing a loose blouse and jeans. I don't think it's "strictly" enforced in Iran as you seem to think it is. Saudi Arabia, well, that place is the epitome of conservativity.

-Nam

That seems pretty out there for Iran. I have seen Muslim girls from Somalia and other African countries dressed in tight jeans, t-shirts and head scarves. But never from Iran. But Iran is a big diverse  country. In the north, people are more like the azeris and the Uzbeks and Turkmen of the Soviet republics. In the south, people are so conservative--the married women there wear those catwoman-like face masks-- that the revolution in 1980 was barely a blip to them.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2013, 05:01:42 PM »

In my opinion, no. This ranks up there with other civil rights issues like female genital mutilation in African countries, slavery, the holocaust, the extreme oppression of women in Muslim countries, etc. I believe that we all, as citizens of the world, have a duty to stand up for equal rights for all (excluding, of course, actions that harm others).

People the world over should be screaming at the top of their lungs about any and all of these issues and more. And the older I get, the more outspoken I've become about these things. It breaks my heart that people are subject to this kind of crap, and yes, I include the USA in that complaint. We have a long way to go to have equal rights in this country. In some ways we've grown tremendously since I was young. In others, we are sliding backwards. I feel sad and furious about it. The utter waste of lives in the world due to oppression and greed is a tragedy of enormous proportions. On my most angry of days, I wish there were a god so that I could rail against him to do something about it.  >:(

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +781/-4
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2013, 05:06:06 PM »
I agree that it is wrong to mistreat gays, and people should complain, sanction, boycott, etc.

But it is still hard to say that the policies of one country should be changed because another country does not approve. Otherwise sovereignty doesn't mean anything. Where would it end? Like I said, India would love to arrest people for eating beef worldwide. The Muslim countries would ban pork and outlaw alcohol. Etc.