Author Topic: Junebug's abuse of Karma  (Read 1433 times)

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Junebug's abuse of Karma
« on: July 13, 2013, 09:49:33 AM »
I applauded someone yesterday for taking on Junebug's inanity, and since she's already smited all her comments to her from me I guess she had to find one from 2012 to properly smite me. I feel that's abuse of the Karma system. However, if that's not enough: she seems to smite any comment that contradicts her viewpoint or she deems as "us" calling her a liar.

Imagine if people used the karma system based on lies? Or perceived lies.

Minus today, I note that most of her smites to me are warranted for calling her "vile" and an "idiot" but smiting people for inane things like "lie" or "that's not what I believe"  or for looking for a comment to smite (tactic used at IGI) I think is abusing the Karma system.

Perhaps I'm wrong. I know she thinks so. But I like to "hear" it from you. If a member is abusing another member they should report it to a moderator not smite said member for anything they say.

Just to put it out there: minus today, I haven't smited her (apparently) since June 24th.

-Nam

A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: Junebug's abuse of Karma
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 10:06:45 AM »
You know, for someone who said it was a game[1], you sure seem to be taking it personally. Or have you changed your mind since then?

Anyway, the justification system is for what individuals deem smite-worthy; not what we as a group decide. For example, you could (and, IMO, probably will) smite me for this post, and, unless you were smiting pretty much every member for random reasons (exempli gratia: "lolz you suck", "-1 for uuu!!!", et cetera), ethically, there's nothing anyone can do about it.
 1. http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,23343.msg521692.html#msg521692
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +752/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 10:08:33 AM »
Well, Nam, as someone said long ago, vengeance is a dessert best served on Internet forums.

And why would you think that her pettiness would not extend to you, anyway.

But yes, we should have standards. However, trying to apply standards to people who have none always seem fruitless.

But in the meantime, I vote for everyone smiting JB every time she smites you or anyone else for such petty reasons. As a non-smiting member of our community, I think the negative stuff is over-rated, but with the horrible exception of the injustice suffered by Nam, most of the others that have been dished out have seemed justified.

Of course, with you Nam, we should have started you out with a -1000 and let plus karmas reduce that number. That would give you some incentive to be less of an asshole.  ;D

Or not.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 10:28:19 AM »
A game is played in real time: going to old posts is cheating.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 10:30:32 AM »

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 10:44:35 AM »

-Nam

Why do you get to decide that?
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 11:37:42 AM »
Junebug is about to have surgery for breast cancer. She said, as of about two hours ago, that she's going to avoid the main discussion board in order to focus on the positive during this time. Personally, I'd give her a pass for awhile, but I tend not to smite folks anyway, preferring to applaud wisdom and positive approaches.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +355/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 01:18:54 PM »
Anyway, the justification system is for what individuals deem smite-worthy; not what we as a group decide. For example, you could (and, IMO, probably will) smite me for this post, and, unless you were smiting pretty much every member for random reasons (exempli gratia: "lolz you suck", "-1 for uuu!!!", et cetera), ethically, there's nothing anyone can do about it.
This.

The karma system simply provides another avenue for a user to express themselves.  Yes, there are accumulated scores but there isn't any sort of goal in mind with it, nor is there any objective interpretation of what those numbers will mean.  I feel that her smite to me was unwarranted and reasonable - but does that matter at all to whether or not she should smite me?  It's all on her perception, not mine; all that matters is that she felt the need to smite me.

The bonus point you get here is that the karma system saves not only the numbers but the context of the smite as well.  The numbers reflect you, and on their own mean little to nothing.  The context of the smite reflects both you and the smiter.  If the smiter is merely being petty, immature, ignorant, lacking in intellectual integrity...the context will show it.

I wouldn't say her smite of you for an ancient post is her abusing the system.  I think it is perfect use of the system; you just have another minus point - she has publically showcased how petty of a human being she can be at times.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."
- Eddie Izzard

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 02:06:45 PM »
I think I'm with Traveler on this one.  She is going thru some scary stuff right now and maybe this is just one of the ways she is venting and dealing with the unknown/fear.  I think we can handle a smite or 2 in order to let her vent.  It's no skin off our noses.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +558/-17
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 04:07:58 PM »
Junebug is about to have surgery for breast cancer. She said, as of about two hours ago, that she's going to avoid the main discussion board in order to focus on the positive during this time. Personally, I'd give her a pass for awhile, but I tend not to smite folks anyway, preferring to applaud wisdom and positive approaches.
I agree.  Greater than 90% of the time, I only smite people for things in topics I'm not involved in.  If they do it in a topic I am involved in, I take them on directly.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 04:25:36 PM »

-Nam

Why do you get to decide that?

I didn't. It's common sense. It's like knowing the boundaries of an argument. I can talk about what you say, and you in particular but bringing in, say, your family or significant other would be going beyond the scale of the argument and therefore breaking the rules of the "game".

And yes: I see arguments as a game, too.

Games have rules. Don't know the rules: don't play the game until you do.

karma is the same type of game. All games have rules. I don't make them up but I do follow them.

-Nam

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 04:28:33 PM »

If I were about to have surgery in a couple of hours I wouldn't be discussing other things online. Hell, I'd probably be in the hospital waiting for the surgery and not allowed on the net because of it.

I don't believe 99.9% of things she says.

-Nam

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 04:31:28 PM »
I think I'm with Traveler on this one.  She is going thru some scary stuff right now and maybe this is just one of the ways she is venting and dealing with the unknown/fear.  I think we can handle a smite or 2 in order to let her vent.  It's no skin off our noses.

Did I complain about the other four or five smites she's given me in the past couple of days? No.

-Nam

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 04:36:40 PM »
I didn't. It's common sense.
<snip>

Quote from: Voltaire
Common sense is not so common.

Make an actual argument as to why we shouldn't judge old posts, and I will attempt to refute it.
We choose our own gods.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2013, 04:49:41 PM »
What's the point in smiting an old post? if one copied it, and started a topic about it and discussed what was stated, then, that's understandable. But to smite it? What's the point? There probably would be an understanding if the person was no longer here but then again, how could they defend themselves?

Can I defend what she smited me for from last year? Sure. But she decided to smite me for something from almost a year ago when she could just start a topic and discuss it with me.

You may disagree, and you have that right, but if you think I cease seeing all this as a "game", you're wrong. Everything's a game to me.

-Nam

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2013, 04:56:00 PM »
What's the point in smiting an old post? if one copied it, and started a topic about it and discussed what was stated, then, that's understandable. But to smite it? What's the point?
<snip>

The point is to pass judgement, as I explained.

Can I defend what she smited me for from last year? Sure. But she decided to smite me for something from almost a year ago when she could just start a topic and discuss it with me.

Maybe she didn't feel that starting a thread was good enough, or, inversely, she thought that it was too much. Or the third option: she just wanted to fuck with you. Or any one of dozens of reasons.

You may disagree, and you have that right, but if you think I cease seeing all this as a "game", you're wrong. Everything's a game to me.

I believe you want to believe that. I don't believe that's what you actually believe, though. Either that or you're extremely childish and can't handle it when someone doesn't play by your rules.
We choose our own gods.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2013, 05:08:41 PM »
Again: not my rules. It's common sense. Using one's words (as you did) from the past is fair game; Smiting them for an innocuous reason is abusing the use of the system to begin with, in my opinion.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. This is my overall understanding in the years I've been arguing and using karma systems.

You do realize this argument were currently having will go nowhere? We come from two different schools of thought. I learn things as I go along; most times I don't care about the lesson but I still attempt to not get my feet wet (easier to stay in one place for long periods of time) but I also call things as I see them; which nominally is in the wrong but oh well.

-Nam

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2013, 05:15:11 PM »
Again: not my rules. It's common sense.

And, again, what you call common sense might not be the general rule for everyone else. That's why I asked for an argument, rather than your opinion.

Using one's words (as you did) from the past is fair game;

Agreed.

Smiting them for an innocuous reason is abusing the use of the system to begin with, in my opinion.

You are mistaken, IMO. If we can judge posts and members by quoting older posts, why can't we judge them with smites and +1's?

You do realize this argument were currently having will go nowhere?

Indeed. You are giving me opinions. I am giving you arguments.

We come from two different schools of thought.

Dunno about this. I've not analyzed most of you, to try to make your opinions and arguments seem fresh.

I learn things as I go along; most times I don't care about the lesson but I still attempt to not get my feet wet (easier to stay in one place for long periods of time) but I also call things as I see them; which nominally is in the wrong but oh well.

Bold mine.
If it was your intention to infer that I don't, you're wrong. I also learn things as I go along, as rational people do.
I won't approach the rest of this piece of post, since I feel that pointing out you're wrong on pretty much all of it is pointless.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2013, 07:18:19 PM »

If I were about to have surgery in a couple of hours I wouldn't be discussing other things online. Hell, I'd probably be in the hospital waiting for the surgery and not allowed on the net because of it.

-Nam

Nam, her surgery is in five days, and she's been talking about her cancer journey for quite some time now.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2013, 12:24:29 AM »
One Above All,

That's not what I meant when I said, "I learn things as I go along". You, like most here, have learned first and foremost[1] at a school. While I did attend school I rarely paid attention or did any school work. As evident of me failing every grade I was ever in (however, they passed everyone: example, I skipped 3 months of 8th grade and passed, a friend of mine skipped every day but the first and last and she passed--they really didn't care about anyone being "educated").

Almost everything I know is self-taught. My parents taught me the basics, school taught me they didn't care, and add on the other shit I went through as a child, I really am quite "stupid" compared to many here, including you. So, when I say "I learn as I go along", I believe there's a separate connotation then if someone not similar to me is saying it. Unless you're saying your life is similar?

Plus I'm angry all the time, indifferent to peoples feelings, and like to pick fights. Not to feel superior but just something to do.

Sometimes I say something funny, or even intelligent but most times it's just assholish inanity.

It's all I have to work with.

And i've been giving you an opinion rather than an argument on purpose. I don't want to argue with you.

Arguing with people like Junebug alleviates my anger, arguing with people like you doesn't do a thing.

-Nam
 1. in a general sense

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2013, 12:33:20 AM »

-Nam

Nam, her surgery is in five days, and she's been talking about her cancer journey for quite some time now.

Good for her. I still don't believe 99.9% of things she says. I once knew someone online who pretended for over a year that she was deaf. I guess after her these "heartfelt stories" where one garners for sympathy is just a bit difficult for me to believe.

Hell, I'd probably have more respect for people if they took the minimalist shit I say with a grain of salt.

Of course, it takes years for me to even talk about my life anywhere not a matter of months.

But hell for anyone knows: I'm making it all up too.

Get what I'm saying?

-Nam

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +125/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2013, 02:05:29 AM »

Lighten up, Francis.  :o
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2013, 09:36:53 AM »
Can you use "pussy" in a smite? And note: since I stated I'd ignore her, which I have voluntarily without placing her on ignore, she's smiting me for older posts.

Now, I know screwtape stated to me "we don't give a fuck about karma", which is fine but this seems to be harassment.

How about that? You give a fuck about that?

Probably not.

I know she's just saying and doing these things to get me to respond to her but you know me: if I'm pissing her off more not responding, then that's what I'll continue to do.

Of course "we" all know I'm not a "pussy", so, she's just being malicious on purpose.

-Nam

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +752/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2013, 09:50:46 AM »
^^^ That's pretty much what I thought the time screwtape smited me. March 15th, 2012 is a day that will live in infamy.

There are no answers. The Internet provides too many strange ones. Just be happy she doesn't work for the NSA. Because if she knew where you lived...
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2013, 07:55:19 PM »
^^^ That's pretty much what I thought the time screwtape smited me. March 15th, 2012 is a day that will live in infamy.

There are no answers. The Internet provides too many strange ones. Just be happy she doesn't work for the NSA. Because if she knew where you lived...

I'd beat her down? What?

-Nam

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +852/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2013, 11:55:38 PM »
I have never smited (smote?) anyone. I only give out positive darwins. Why bother trying to make someone feel bad virtually? Isn't there enough negativity in the real world?  :angel:
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2013, 06:11:38 AM »
Don't dish it out if you can't take it Nammy boy.  You have done some pretty petty smiting yourself.  I tried kindness with you and you just got worse.  When you said you were no longer going to reply you should have left it at that.  I am not your whooping post.  I am not someone for you to insult for your entertainment.  Real people fight back.  You are the one to fear here.  If I hadn't told the mods to forget your insulting post you would have had to apologize to me. 

The way I see it we both made mistakes you just made more than me.  You were the one being "watched" for trolling me.  I have never been watched or moderated so I must be following the rules pretty good. 

Talking about beating down a woman shows what class of man you are.  The bottom of the barrel.
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2013, 08:07:28 AM »
Don't dish it out if you can't take it Nammy boy.  You have done some pretty petty smiting yourself.

I do not "petty smite". If I did, then I would be doing it all the time, that's what idiots like you do.

I tried kindness with you and you just got worse.

No you didn't. I started to ignore you, and you show your appreciation for me ignoring you by going to old posts and smiting them--and why such the long wait to reply here? It's like you crave the attention, and not just some peoples attention but everyone's, including those like me who openly state that we don't like you. There's a term for that "attention whore", I already knew that about you with all your stories and whining but this is basically you just coming out and saying it straight out.

When you said you were no longer going to reply you should have left it at that.  I am not your whooping post.  I am not someone for you to insult for your entertainment.  Real people fight back.  You are the one to fear here.  If I hadn't told the mods to forget your insulting post you would have had to apologize to me.

I say what I mean. If I apologize for anything it's for actions, not things I say. And if you think the mod's here, or anywhere can "make" me do anything, you're delusional--but I already knew you were.

The way I see it we both made mistakes you just made more than me.

I didn't make any mistakes toward you. Everything I said, or did, I meant. 

You were the one being "watched" for trolling me.  I have never been watched or moderated so I must be following the rules pretty good.

If you say so, idiot. Of course, after announcing me ignoring you--who trolled who?

See, they probably, most likely, believe your sad stories that seem to happen all at once. I don't. Never will. You're an idiotic attention whore, and I will treat you as such. As I did. 

Talking about beating down a woman shows what class of man you are.  The bottom of the barrel.

Oh, I see, I must be a sexist. I would never speak the way I have toward you toward another fellow man? Wrong. I'm equal in my treatment of being an asshole to everyone. I give a rat's ass who you are. I've talked this way to my own parents. Employers. Law Enforcement.

You are nothing special, and neither is anyone else.

-Nam

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +125/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2013, 08:23:09 AM »
You two are taking each other much too seriously.  Seriously.  This  supposed to a place for intellegent exchange of ideas.  The occasional difference of opionion and insults are to be expected.  But you are getting personal.  Both of you.  No one should be getting hurt here. You are both adults with amazing, distinct personalities which happen to greatly clash.  JUST AGREE TO DISAGREE
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.