Author Topic: How did this happen...  (Read 326 times)

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
How did this happen...
« on: July 13, 2013, 07:44:36 AM »
Can someone in America tell me this seriously went to air? It just doesn't seem possible....

The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
Re: How did this happen...
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 01:59:49 PM »
I saw YouTube ablaze with that video (and mirrors) today.  I tried to read the names like they would be pronounced in Korean (like the news anchor did) because I thought "nah, there's no way that misinformation/"prank" got through the filters.  How does no one catch this? 
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline pianodwarf

• Fellow
  • Darwins +206/-5
  • Je bois ton lait frappĂ©
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 04:00:52 PM »
I saw YouTube ablaze with that video (and mirrors) today.  I tried to read the names like they would be pronounced in Korean (like the news anchor did) because I thought "nah, there's no way that misinformation/"prank" got through the filters.  How does no one catch this? 

It's not entirely unprecedented.  I remember watching television some years ago and seeing an ad for Burger King (a national ad, mind you, not a local one) that featured an Indian foreign exchange student having lunch with his college friends, talking about how much he was enjoying being a student in America because Burger King's burgers, being flame-broiled, were so much better than the fried burgers that were the only kind they had back home.  I was absolutely thunderstruck that that commercial could have gone thru the entire production process, from conception at the ad agency, thru scriptwriting, casting, filming, editing, reviewing, and finally airing, without one single person noticing what an indescribably stupid error the whole concept of the commercial was based on.  I assume it must have come up pretty quickly after so many millions of people saw the ad, because I only ever saw it the once... in all likelihood, the ad got pulled promptly after it started airing, and everyone who was involved probably started looking for nearby kitchen sinks to wash the egg off their faces.  To this day, I still can't believe it.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 04:57:48 PM »
That's hilarious.

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +29/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 07:51:43 PM »
^^^ I agree. Very funny, if somewhat inappropriate. But then again that's how my sense of humor runs.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 07:55:15 PM by mrbiscoop »
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline Bereft_of_Faith

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +39/-2
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 02:00:59 AM »

It's not entirely unprecedented.  I remember watching television some years ago and seeing an ad for Burger King (a national ad, mind you, not a local one) that featured an Indian foreign exchange student having lunch with his college friends, talking about how much he was enjoying being a student in America because Burger King's burgers, being flame-broiled, were so much better than the fried burgers that were the only kind they had back home.  I was absolutely thunderstruck that that commercial could have gone thru the entire production process, from conception at the ad agency, thru scriptwriting, casting, filming, editing, reviewing, and finally airing, without one single person noticing what an indescribably stupid error the whole concept of the commercial was based on.  I assume it must have come up pretty quickly after so many millions of people saw the ad, because I only ever saw it the once... in all likelihood, the ad got pulled promptly after it started airing, and everyone who was involved probably started looking for nearby kitchen sinks to wash the egg off their faces.  To this day, I still can't believe it.

I take it the rub is that an Indian was talking about beef, when he presumably should not be eating beef?  If that's it, maybe he was a Mooslim?  ;D  But seriously... I work with an Indian who identifies as Anglo-Indian.  He and I have talked about the genesis of anglo-indians, their role in colonial India etc.  They eat meat with a vengeance.  This guy hunts, kills, and in no way considers himself anything like a Hindu (Indian).  Quite fascinating. If he is representative of other Anglo Indians, they might go out of their way to set themselves apart.

Also, let's not forget Lester Patel, who worked at the BuyMore*.  He was a Hinjew from Canada.  I assume he could put a hurttin' on some curried brisket.

*Chuck... again

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 10:38:58 AM »
Oklahoma is home to a huuuuge hog processing plant - staffed mostly by north african mooslim immigrants... go figure

Wha Dee Fuq?
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +783/-4
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 03:40:21 PM »
^^^I can imagine their reports home are highly edited.....
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 07:20:35 PM »
It seems Asiana Airlines is suing the news station now. What an amazing debacle.
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 10:08:57 PM »
I once saw an ad on TV from a lawyer who said, "Have you or a loved one committed suicide recently? If you have please call...".

It played for days before they finally took it off the air.

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?