Author Topic: to my friendly friend [#2753]  (Read 798 times)

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
to my friendly friend [#2753]
« on: July 09, 2013, 07:09:03 PM »
I found this website just today, and started reading some of the things that were on there, and i saw something that kept coming out of it.  Seems to me that everything that is on there has a lot to do with prayer, well.  Can you really say, that people "know" God?  If you understand what i mean, then you would know that, not many souls here, actually know God. From so many distractions and worldly things, only very very few people know who he is. And when they do, they do have the capability to heal, within him, i don't see why this page keeps saying that prayer does not have any effect. It does. But you need people that "know" God, and not just people that read the bible and know what it says.  Also, there are 4 things that the bible has, that can prove that God is real. First, his prophesies. If you know your bible, everything that God says, goes. there is never a maybe, it is solidly true. The events that he says will take place, are actually involved in the world today. you should know which, unless you want me to explain. Now true science, and the bible, do not contradict, in the bible it says the stars are countless, many years before they had discovered it. it says that the world is round, many years before discovered. it even says how he suspened the earth in space out of nothing, not on some elephant on a turtle in the cosmic sea. 3 his words and his works. and how he transforms people. I must say that you are missing the whole chain, not just a link. You see you can't prove he is not real, if you can... then tell me how out universe was made. tell me how from a single cell a complex organism is formed, when scientist can't even explain it. tell me how the power of an atom is controlled , what holds it? Can you say that the way earth was created or "made" if you don't believe , that it was made by accident?
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
Re: to my friendly friend [#2753]
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 07:37:19 PM »
Can you really say, that people "know" God?  If you understand what i mean, then you would know that, not many souls here, actually know God. From so many distractions and worldly things, only very very few people know who he is.

Define "knowing god".  You should be able to, considering you talk about it so much.
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 08:47:48 PM »
Must be part of that "born again" shit they keep talking about.  And where did the bible say the world is round?  I must have missed that one or it takes the decoder ring.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +256/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 09:37:41 PM »
...the bible... says that the world is round, many years before discovered.

This is false.  The Greeks knew in the third century BCE that the world was spherical (not round; there's a difference), and had considered the possibility three centuries before that.

The Bible is clearly wrong, as demonstrated by Daniel 4:11 (a tree can be seen "from the end of all the earth"? There's no "end of all the earth" on a sphere).  The same applies to Matthew 4:8 and Isaiah 40:22.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 10:17:29 PM »
tell me how from a single cell a complex organism is formed, when scientist can't even explain it.

When I read this I immediately thought of Richard Dawkins and J.B.S. Haldane.  The passage I'm about to type is from the book The Greatest Show on Earth and will illustrate a much better response than I could ever give.

Quote from: Richard Dawkins
That irascible genius J.B.S. Haldane [...] was once challenged by a lady after a public lecture.  It's a word of mouth anecdote [...] but this is approximately how the exchange went:

• Evolution skeptic: Professor Haldane, even given the billions of years that you say were available for evolution, I simply cannot believe it is possible to go from a single cell to a complicated human body, with it's trillions of cells organized into bones and muscles and nerves, a heart that pumps without ceasing for decades, miles and miles of blood vessels and kidney tubules, and a brain capable of thinking and talking and feeling.
  • JBS: But madam, you did it yourself.  And it only took you nine months.

*Dawkins, Richard. (2009) The Greatest Show on Earth. (p. 211). New York, NY: Free Press.

I hope that gives some light on how erroneous your comment is.  If biology can transform a single cell into trillions over the course of nine months just imagine what it can do in 3.5 billion years[1].
 1. The approximate amount of time that life has existed on Earth
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-2
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 01:52:43 AM »
First, his prophesies. If you know your bible, everything that God says, goes. there is never a maybe, it is solidly true.

Dingdingding, you are hereby the one billionth Christian that has claimed to be the only one who knows how to read the bible. Click here for your prize.

The events that he says will take place, are actually involved in the world today. you should know which, unless you want me to explain.

Please do, as there is not a single prediction in the bible that has come true (save those that were made after the fact ... I predict the Berlin wall will come down! Do I get a prize?

Now true science, and the bible, do not contradict, in the bible it says the stars are countless, many years before they had discovered it.

Tell that to a mathematician and he'll go into a murderous rampage. The number of stars is veryveryvery[1] large, but not countless.

it says that the world is round, many years before discovered.

A disc, it says ... yes, discs are round too but Earth is hardly disc shaped, now is it? For someone who claims to be correctly reading the bible, you seem to be rather illinformed about its contents

it even says how he suspened the earth in space out of nothing, not on some elephant on a turtle in the cosmic sea.

It also says Earth has foundations ... again, how did you in your perfect readage miss this?

You see you can't prove he is not real,

Neither can you prove that Allah is not real, or Thor, or Crom for that matter. Try to disprove Harry Potter, Santa, the Smurfs or UFOs ... can't be done, any of it.

if you can... then tell me how out universe was made.

Wow, a false dychotomy AND a god-of-the-gaps in less than a dozen words, we should have a trophy for that.

Can you say that the way earth was created or "made" if you don't believe , that it was made by accident?

Yes, it was an accident, a common one, judging by the number of planets we've found. Life seems to be less common, still, what does that prove? That Bob the uncreated magic superpixie sneezed life onto Earth?
 1. imagine a few billion 'very's
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 02:32:03 AM »
Quote from: Christian #2753
.....are 4 things that the bible has, that can prove that God is real. First, his prophesies. If you know your bible, everything that God says, goes. there is never a maybe, it is solidly true. The events that he says will take place, are actually involved in the world today. you should know which, unless you want me to explain.

Please do!

Actually, better yet, find something in the Bible that propesies something that will happen in the next 12 months.  Be specific about what the prophesy is, and exactly what it predicts.  If it happens in the next 12 months as you said it did, in all the detail, then I will renounce my atheism and worship your god.

If the Bible is as "solidly true" as you say, then this should be an easy conversion for you.  I look forward to hearing from you.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 08:13:19 PM »
Is that a wall of text to smack my head against?

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 09:13:21 PM »
Is that a wall of text to smack my head against?

-Nam
Not for a "militant" atheist.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +827/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 11:21:21 PM »
If there are no leprechauns, then what's at the end of the rainbow, smart guy?  Tell me that!

If there are no poltergeists, then why did my cup fall off the shelf last week? Huh? Huh?

If there are no witches, then how is it that my daughter has little red bumps all over her face. Hah!

Next thing and you'll be telling us that tiny life forms invisible to the naked eye make people sick.....and that we should wash these invisible things off our hands after we use the toilet. How stupid do you think we are?  &)
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 08:43:32 PM »
I almost gave PD a - for this one, I had to remember that it was a email he posted.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 08:53:07 PM »
I almost gave PD a - for this one, I had to remember that it was a email he posted.

That would have been very amusing. I'm sure PD would happily suffer a -1 to provide us this amusement. I suggest you still do it.
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 02:21:56 PM »
I found this website just today, and started reading some of the things that were on there, and i saw something that kept coming out of it.  Seems to me that everything that is on there has a lot to do with prayer, well.  Can you really say, that people "know" God?  If you understand what i mean, then you would know that, not many souls here, actually know God. From so many distractions and worldly things, only very very few people know who he is. And when they do, they do have the capability to heal, within him

So no true Scottsman, your argument is invalid.

, i don't see why this page keeps saying that prayer does not have any effect. It does.

Ignoring the counterevidence, your argument is invalid.

But you need people that "know" God, and not just people that read the bible and know what it says.

Back to the no true Scottsman argument...still a fallacy. Still Invalid.

Also, there are 4 things that the bible has, that can prove that God is real. First, his prophesies. If you know your bible, everything that God says, goes. there is never a maybe, it is solidly true. The events that he says will take place, are actually involved in the world today. you should know which, unless you want me to explain.

Ignoring the counterevidence of the many many many failed prophesies, your argument is invalid

Now true science, and the bible, do not contradict, in the bible it says the stars are countless, many years before they had discovered it.

True science...like true scottsman...again. Invalid

it says that the world is round, many years before discovered.

World is a sphere...which it does not state. Ignoring the counterevidence

It even says how he suspened the earth in space out of nothing, not on some elephant on a turtle in the cosmic sea. 3 his words and his works. and how he transforms people. I must say that you are missing the whole chain, not just a link.

Vaugue gobbledegook

You see you can't prove he is not real, if you can... then tell me how out universe was made. tell me how from a single cell a complex organism is formed, when scientist can't even explain it. tell me how the power of an atom is controlled , what holds it? Can you say that the way earth was created or "made" if you don't believe , that it was made by accident?

Appeal to ignorance...your argument is invalid.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.