Author Topic: The pea under the mattress  (Read 272 times)

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +131/-7
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
The pea under the mattress
« on: July 21, 2013, 06:54:01 PM »
This is a very interesting read: The Atheist Daughter of a Notable Christian Apologist Shares Her Story

It is the little, unexpected things that count. Kind of like a proton torpedo aimed at your exhaust port or an endless loop inserted into your rote, collective hive-mind ... or a pea under your mattress.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
Re: The pea under the mattress
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 08:34:09 PM »
Very interesting read. Thanks for the pointer.  :)
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 11:24:41 PM »
sad to see how her xian parents show their love when she does not do as they say... conditional love - praise jeeezus

she has guts and brains
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Bereft_of_Faith

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +39/-2
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 12:34:37 AM »
First, good for her.

I 'worry' a bit about the strength of her deconversion.  She says "If God didn’t exist, where did morality come from? What about the beginning of the universe? Abiogenesis?", as though the questions are unanswerable and thus god must exist.  She appears to still maintain that these are valid arguments of some kind.  They aren't.  She doesn't appear to understand that the default answer is not 'god'.

The thing that hit her was that neither her friend nor she had the answer for the following question: 
If God was absolutely moral, because morality was absolute, and if the nature of “right” and “wrong” surpassed space, time, and existence, and if it was as much a fundamental property of reality as math, then why were some things a sin in the Old Testament but not a sin in the New Testament?

Alex had no answer — and I realized I didn’t either. "

Morality is absoluteRight and wrong surpasses space and time and existence?  Wut?  As fundamental as math?  Please. Sin in the OT vs sin in the NT?  She seems unable, at this point, to understand that she is asking useless questions.  She is unable to prove the existence of god within the context of the bible and her father's teachings.  She has not (apparently) begun to understand that the questions themselves are irrelevant.

She may one day, miss god in her life to such an extent that these questions will be put aside, for the sake of comfort.

I hope not.  I will hope that as she goes along, the real Truths become more clear.  There is no biblegod, no moral absolutes.  We are on our own, and that the great challenge for humanity is to figure out things for ourselves.  Taking the long view of human history, we seem to be doing a pretty good job so far.