Author Topic: Reason Game - Choose your Group...  (Read 302 times)

Offline DVZ3

• Reader
  • Darwins +41/-8
Reason Game - Choose your Group...
« on: July 05, 2013, 12:13:41 PM »
I've been with ongoing discussions with my 'very' religous cousin who is one of those types of christians who can actually 'somewhat' show signs of reasoning; especially when talking to me who he knows is an atheisit.  I find it very distrurbing that the only time when 'just a little bit of reason and just an even smaller bit of honesty' comes from christians when they know that they are discussing something that will be thought about.  It's something we've all withnessed here in the forums - christians using more intellect then will ever be demonstrated in reality (especially the likes of people on Fox News)...

The game - To demostrate critical thinking from an unbiased, neutral point of view.  "As an athiest" if you will.  I want to ask a very simple question in the form of what we all as indivudals must be faced with and is ultimately why this forum exists to be sure.

The question - (The reason game)

Imagine that you were just born a clean slate, filled with nothing but the evidence of the world around you. When you are older you are told to choose between only 3 groups to become a part of that you MUST join when you are an adult. The first group is the Muslim group. The second is the group of the Christians, the third group is a group that doesn't want to join a group but just learn aspire to learn more. You can only choose one group - oh, and for the sake of the game, let's pretend that your mom and dad (your whole family) are already joined in the Muslim group.

Which group do you choose and why?

Can anyone add/edit this as I am looking for the most simplistic way of showing that he does not critcally think and/or understand what atheism actually is for that matter.
Hguols: "Its easier for me to believe that a God created everything...."

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
Re: Reason Game - Choose your Group...
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 01:31:52 PM »
An interesting exercise. Some thoughts I had about it...

-is one particular group in the majority? Is that one the same as my family's?
-how does each group get along with the others? Are they violent towards each other, or do they coexist more-or-less peacefully?
-if one group is in the majority, how do they treat the minorities?

All those would certainly influence me in the proposed scenario. Family would play a big, perhaps even the most important part, but other social factors would be at work.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 01:33:55 PM »
I'd join the third group. I love knowing things.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline DVZ3

• Reader
  • Darwins +41/-8
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 01:54:53 PM »

Great questions Wright. But, as I said, your choice must be based on only the evidence around you, just like today. No other information/influence with the exception of what you see in the world and the peer pressure from your family.

Again, it's a choice. Why would someone choose the group and why. Simple question that any adult should be able to answer with solidified reason and logic.

Hguols: "Its easier for me to believe that a God created everything...."

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +769/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 02:20:20 PM »
DV

In your scenario, how much would a person be able to learn about the muslim group and the christian group before it is time to make a decision. Presumably, if being raised in the muslim group, one would be inculcated into that mindset at some point. But would the opportunity to learn at least a few things about the christians and a few things about why still others don't want to join either religious grip be available?

If one has insufficient information, they do not make a choice. They might make something, but it wouldn't be a choice.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 02:36:11 PM »

Great questions Wright. But, as I said, your choice must be based on only the evidence around you, just like today. No other information/influence with the exception of what you see in the world and the peer pressure from your family.

Again, it's a choice. Why would someone choose the group and why. Simple question that any adult should be able to answer with solidified reason and logic.

If influences are that limited in the scenario, then I'd end up in the third group, just as I did in reality. I was pretty much an atheist from age ten until my late 20s; my family wasn't very religious. Assuming the only things that would change would be my religious paradigm was Islam rather than Christianity and the knowledge that I must choose between the three, I'd go with the one that has the actual evidence.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Samothec

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-2
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 04:06:24 PM »
DVZ3, here is a suggestion for an alternative form of your "Reason Game" to test reasoning capabilities.

Imagine that the world had a different focus. There are only three (3) groups to join and when you reach adulthood you must choose one. First is the soccer (football to all but Americans) group: fast paced but not violent till personalities clash then the teams and the fans all erupt into violence. Second is the (American) football group: tackle football full of the spectacle of violence and the spectators hide their violent tendencies but let them out when they can corner a rival team's fan in a secluded spot or unintentionally let them out when drunk. Third is the nature group: they enjoy running, swimming, walking in the woods, studying the beauty and wonder of nature, and even cataloging their finds. You can only choose one group - which one do you choose?

If he chooses one of the violence groups: What if the rest of your family was part of the ______ (violent group he did not pick).

If he doesn't pick any group: Well, which is it to be? Hidden violence, group violence, or non-violence and learning?

Soccer = Muslim
American football = Xianity
Nature = atheism, science and reason
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther