Author Topic: Judge rejects claim that yoga in schools is religious instruction  (Read 489 times)

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Online Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-2
Re: Judge rejects claim that yoga in schools is religious instruction
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 07:13:53 AM »
But Meyer said that he agreed with the school district's explanation that it has taken out any references to Hinduism or Sanskrit from the program.

Sanskrit is a religion now? Is my religion 'Dutch'?
Or does this mean that Latin and ancient Greek should be banned from all public schools?

“This case is not about whether yoga has health benefits, whether individuals may personally practice yoga or whether individuals like or enjoy yoga," he said. "This case is simply about whether public schools may ... use the state’s coercive powers to promote a particular religious orthodoxy or religious agenda to young and impressionable school children."

Judge Meyer addressed these concerns (see the quote above) but the lawyer prefers to pretend he didn't in the hopes that ... I don't know ... the parents who hired him want him to take further expens legal action?
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 08:25:47 AM »
I hate it when those yoga people come knocking at your door.  It's always when I'm on the shitter or cooking supper. ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 10:06:30 AM »
I hate it when those yoga people come knocking at your door.  It's always when I'm on the shitter or cooking supper. ;)

But to be fair, they knock with their feet while standing on their hands with their legs wrapped round their neck.  That's pretty cool.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 12:22:40 PM »
at least their "preachers" are a damn sight quieter than the jeezus crowd.  and you could sleep through the "sermon" without being noticed
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Samothec

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-2
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 01:51:03 PM »
Sanskrit is a religion now? Is my religion 'Dutch'?
Or does this mean that Latin and ancient Greek should be banned from all public schools?
I found these:
Students receive two 30-minute yoga sessions each week. The yoga program is supported by a $533,000 grant from a local studio that teaches Ashtanga yoga.
- in the article linked above.
Quote from: Wikipedia
R?ja yoga ("royal yoga", "royal union", also known as Classical yoga and a???nga yoga) is one of the six schools of Dharmic (astika) Hindu philosophy.
That's the tenuous connection to non-approved (=non-Xian) beliefs.

Quote from: Wikipedia
The National Center for Law & Policy is a conservative Christian non-profit law firm that "focuses on the protection and promotion of religious freedom, the sanctity of life, traditional marriage, parental rights, and other civil liberties." Its president is Dean Broyles
In other words, right-wing religious wackos who want only their religious indoctrination taught at school. After all, such things as yoga and calming techniques might cause their precious children to become tolerant, or - the horror - even accepting of those who are different. Indoctrinating children is difficult enough without someone coming along and filling their heads with stuff that could lead them to develop ethics. They need to keep the children stuck in the morass morals.
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

Online Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-2
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 01:00:47 AM »
^^ OK, I got that ... Hinduism is a religion and the slightest hint of anything non-bibely makes the christians uneasy. Ok, sure.
But to accomodate the christians, the school district even took out all references to Sanskrit ... the language Sanskrit ... that's the insane part I don't get.
What is so especially religious about Sanskrit that it needs removing?
(well, ok, I do get that part as well ... right-wing christian nutcases are professional offense takers, they'll latch on to ANYTHING if it gets them airtime ... but still INSANE  :o )
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 07:14:08 AM »
I never really cared for yogurt.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Samothec

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-2
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 02:47:01 AM »
But Fiji, Sanskrit is of course the language of Hinduism[1] so it must be excised. Only the language of the Bible - English[2] - is approved. Once you understand these things, their actions make perfect[3] sense.
 1. please ignore the fact that it was used in Buddhism and Jainism as well as secular pursuits such as poetry, science and philosophy - among others
 2. please ignore the fact that English is NOT the language of the bible
 3. perfectly crappy
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther