Author Topic: New Viola- Crowdsourcing!  (Read 384 times)

Offline EV

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +52/-1
  • Philosopher, Atheist, Musician, Philanthropist
    • My Website
New Viola- Crowdsourcing!
« on: June 29, 2013, 02:44:04 PM »
Dear fellow WWGHA Members,

If you do not know me, my name is Elliot and I am an 18-year-old Composer and Violist. I left school yesterday, and am looking forward to my future as a Scholar at the Royal College of Music next year.

I am attempting to raise money to buy a new Viola for my studies next year. This website enables you to donate small amounts of money towards this goal, with rewards given for pledging different amounts of money.

I am beginning my musical career at the RCM from September, and so desperately need this new instrument to maximise my potential. Anything you can spare would be incredible, be it 50p or £5.

Please, PLEASE support this, for this to work, I have got to raise at least £3,000 in the next 26 days. I would be absolutely overjoyed if we can raise the money together, as I am from a low income background and have no means of buying this beautiful instrument myself.

Click here for more information -------> http://www.pleasefund.us/projects/new-viola-for-young-musician <---------

Thank you for your support, and I am sorry I have not been particularly active on here recently (been insanely busy...)

All the best,
EV
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
- Philosopher John Stuart Mill, from a Parliamentary debate (May 31, 1866);

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
Re: New Viola- Crowdsourcing!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 03:23:22 PM »
I am dead broke myself but I posted this on my twitter & facebook pages.  I know a lot of musicians.  I really like your music.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline EV

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +52/-1
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 03:56:10 PM »
I am dead broke myself but I posted this on my twitter & facebook pages.  I know a lot of musicians.  I really like your music.

Thank you very much Lori, it is much appreciated. The hardest part is getting the message to as many people as possible. I really appreciate your sharing it.
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 04:31:27 PM »
EV!  Congratulations on graduating!  I had to google RCM, and I'm guessing this is it.  http://www.rcm.ac.uk/   As opposed to http://www.rcmhealthcare.com/ or  http://www.rcmassetmanagement.com/  :) 

Then, just for fun, I googled "best music school in England, and it came up again!!!!

What an exciting phase of your life you are entering.  May it be full of joy and discovery and accomplishment. 

I'm a dorky middle aged lady who does not currently feel comfortable putting my credit card online, (just had a virus, had my apple account hacked, with someone downloading stuff I didn't order on a machine I don't own) and I'm also not really comfortable putting my name out there to be seen by anyone who visits this site, and clicks on your link. 

Hoping the young techies out there who already have paypal accounts and who do everything online will take a couple of minutes to toss a few dollars your way.

And at the risk of making an inappropriate suggestion, here in NYC, lots of amazingly talented musicians play in the streets and in the parks and on the subways.  Would you feel uncomfortable making a sign saying just what you said here, and playing somewhere in public?  I don't know what the culture is like in London, but here, on a nice day, you see talented musicians bringing in some decent money.  They also make and sell cd's of their work - Just a photocopied picture on the CD box, maybe with their fundraising story on the opposite side so you can see it when you open the case,  and their names written in permanent marker on the cd itself.  They tend to go for $10, and often musicians have a sign up describing a specific fundraising goal next to where they sell the cd's.  I've bought cd's from various street musicians, and I always feel good about it.   

I don't know anything about the culture of street music in London, or your comfort level, as a classical musician, in terms of playing in the streets or parks.  But I thought I would throw it out there. 

Please keep us updated.  I know you have a bright future. 

Offline EV

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +52/-1
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 05:45:37 PM »
EV!  Congratulations on graduating!  I had to google RCM, and I'm guessing this is it.  http://www.rcm.ac.uk/   As opposed to http://www.rcmhealthcare.com/ or  http://www.rcmassetmanagement.com/  :) 

Then, just for fun, I googled "best music school in England, and it came up again!!!!

What an exciting phase of your life you are entering.  May it be full of joy and discovery and accomplishment.

Thank you Quesi! As always, you nailed it. The Royal College of Music is just the best. It's internationally competitive and the faculty is phenomenal. I am to study with one of the best Viola players in the world next year, the thought is mind-blowing. I can't wait to be there and to enjoy studying with other like-minded people.

I'm a dorky middle aged lady who does not currently feel comfortable putting my credit card online, (just had a virus, had my apple account hacked, with someone downloading stuff I didn't order on a machine I don't own) and I'm also not really comfortable putting my name out there to be seen by anyone who visits this site, and clicks on your link.

Hoping the young techies out there who already have paypal accounts and who do everything online will take a couple of minutes to toss a few dollars your way.

Perfectly acceptable, no worries! Thanks for the post though :)

And at the risk of making an inappropriate suggestion, here in NYC, lots of amazingly talented musicians play in the streets and in the parks and on the subways.  Would you feel uncomfortable making a sign saying just what you said here, and playing somewhere in public?  I don't know what the culture is like in London, but here, on a nice day, you see talented musicians bringing in some decent money.  They also make and sell cd's of their work - Just a photocopied picture on the CD box, maybe with their fundraising story on the opposite side so you can see it when you open the case,  and their names written in permanent marker on the cd itself.  They tend to go for $10, and often musicians have a sign up describing a specific fundraising goal next to where they sell the cd's.  I've bought cd's from various street musicians, and I always feel good about it. 

I don't know anything about the culture of street music in London, or your comfort level, as a classical musician, in terms of playing in the streets or parks.  But I thought I would throw it out there. 

From my website (http://www.elliotviola.co.uk/bio.htm): 'Elliot was born in Brighton, UK and continues to be Brighton based. As proof of this, he can be found busking regularly in the Pavilion Gardens, surrounded by confused tourists wondering why this eccentric and tall young musician is playing Bach.'

I have indeed considered it, and have been doing so for years! I do bring in money, but I tend to use most of it to pay for my instrumental and travel expenses when I can. A set of strings costs £80, bow rehairs cost around £60. I can have this done up to monthly depending on how much I am playing. As I am from a low-income background, I try to support myself as much as possible to give my parents some leeway.

Selling CD's in the UK on streets is technically illegal without a street trader's license, but I can busk without a license in a lot of areas.

Incidentally, funny story, I was playing in Brighton the other day, and my bow was pooed on by a seagull. How it hit a stick approximately a centimetre wide I do not know. Had to thoroughly clean the hair...

Please keep us updated.  I know you have a bright future.

Thanks Quesi, I am currently on £50 despite starting my fundraising about two hours ago. Feeling optimistic about the whole thing. Your future is what you make of it, and I am determined to be as good as I can be. Hopefully the future will be kind to me :)

Offline EV

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +52/-1
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 07:46:13 AM »
I'm going to post some updates in this thread over the next 12 days.

I've been swamped by generosity, and am currently standing on an incredible total of £1,785. Can barely believe it. This new instrument is starting to look like a reality now!

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 10:08:33 AM »
Cool.  Make a difference in your music/career and help someone out down the road when you get a chance.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!