Author Topic: Goodbye Voyager  (Read 576 times)

Online Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +97/-2
  • WWGHA Member
Goodbye Voyager
« on: June 28, 2013, 05:39:50 AM »
It seems that our little probe is on the verge of being the first man made object to leave the solar system
That we have managed to create something that has travelled 18.5 Billion kilometers and still be operational after 35 years in the harsh environment of space is a testament to human skill and ingenuity that fills me with awe.
I hope that voyager survives the rigors of space for centuries to come. I like to think that if another civilisation does find our little probe they will enjoy the message in a bottle we have flung into space and will think that the monkey people from the blue planet seem like a nice bunch.

Here's another linky that's a bit of fun - How long would it take you

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
Re: Goodbye Voyager
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 07:17:53 AM »
It's the colosssal distances that get me - 35 years flying, and still within the solar system.

Its what makes me so skeptical of alien visitors.  Not of alen life being out there, I can believe in that.  Just that I don't believe any of it is regularly stopping by the Ozarks to snatch Jonny Redneck.  The distances are just so, so vast, that I struggle to see any alien species making the trip just to do some probing.

Good luck Voyager.

Why am I reminded of Silent Running?
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 07:25:44 AM »
One of the coolest things humans have done.  Well, until it comes back to destroy us like in Star Trex.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +97/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 08:28:40 AM »
It's the colosssal distances that get me - 35 years flying, and still within the solar system.

Its what makes me so skeptical of alien visitors.  Not of alen life being out there, I can believe in that.  Just that I don't believe any of it is regularly stopping by the Ozarks to snatch Jonny Redneck.  The distances are just so, so vast, that I struggle to see any alien species making the trip just to do some probing.

Good luck Voyager.

Why am I reminded of Silent Running?

going @ 19Km per second It not as if voyager is setting a particularly leisurly pace either (its travelled 3,429miles whilst I've been writing this post)

Yeah I don't think the aliens would be here for some cosmic dogging either. if they wanted to know about our anatomy why haven't there been more surgeons kidnapped?

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 08:48:04 AM »
This is truly amazing - something built in the late 70s still going strong across the solar system.  Especially considering my parents bought a new 1978 Mercury Zephyr that lasted less than two years here on earth...

Look on the bright side. If aliens ever do show up, they have only ever kidnapped toothless, dimwitted rednecks, so they will be vastly underestimating our capabilities if their intentions are less than peaceful.

Rock on Voyager (1 and 2)
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +56/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 02:08:08 PM »
And to think Yahweh got upset at man for building a multi-story tower.  &)

"I don't see any god up here." -- Yuri Gagarin, first human to journey into space
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 02:52:37 PM »
And to think Yahweh got upset at man for building a multi-story tower.

I think you know where that comment ended up when I tried it on the thread about donating money to fix a pastor's helicopter... ugh
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 12:48:20 PM »
Outstanding.  Just absolutely awe-inspiring that humans have built something to travel beyond the solar system into interstellar space.
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +543/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 05:12:45 PM »
It really is a truly remarkable achievement; one should have been sent up every 5 years with even more tech stuff on board.

The story goes that Carl Sagan et al decided upon a picture of a male and female naked human on the gold-plated U238 record that is aboard.

I'm not sure who it was, but outrage ensued (imagine what would happen if little green men saw images of nakid peeple!!!!111!!! in 50,000 years time!) and the pictures were substituted for silhouettes, so if you are black and wearing only lycra, those green men will recognise you instantly.

The music and other content is listed here: http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/spacecraft/music.html which includes a picture of the moment of conception.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 05:21:22 PM »
hope the interstellar version of Wolfman Jack spins those golden oldies from Earth and his alien pals enjoy the racket.  Blind Willie Johnson?  Was that part of the moment of conception?

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 10:23:02 PM »
This site also has all the sounds and pictures sent: http://goldenrecord.org/

It's also much more interactive - if that's your thang.
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.