Author Topic: Most users online  (Read 545 times)

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
Most users online
« on: June 27, 2013, 06:30:02 PM »
According to the information at the bottom of the main page, 1251 people were viewig the forum on 9 November 2009. That seems very, very high. Can anybody remember this day, or remember if during that period generally there were high numbers of visitors? Maybe there was some type of publicity for the site which drew a crowd?

Just curious.
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: Most users online
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 06:35:05 PM »
A very good question. Maybe it also counted guests? I've noticed that, lately, there seem to be as many as 100 guests viewing the forum.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 06:40:36 PM »
If it's guests I suppose that could include spambots?
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 09:45:05 PM »
My understanding is that there have been periods when particular theist communities have taken an interest in this forum - sudden appearances of multiple newly registered theists all pushing similar angles on similar themes, sometimes giving away that they know each other, at least one case I recall where admin detected two theist posters were sharing the same computer.

So my theory is that a particular church group decides to "minister" to atheists on WWGHA and those who register to fight the good fight invite the whole church group to watch their glorious efforts.  After a week or two of being pummelled by reason they declare the WWGHA atheists a lost cause, and they all bugger off en masse before it becomes too embarrassing.  From the theists point of view they have successful completed their mission (spreading the "Word" is good enough in the eyes of God - it's up to receivers of the "Word" to do something with it).

I might be wrong but it would certainly explain periods of high "guest" activity.

If my theory is right I think it's a good thing because the silent guests are the ones who aren't emotionally and publicly committed by their arguments, and are likely to take in a lot of new thinking they would never otherwise be exposed to in their closeted church discussions of recycled biblical nonsense and excusiology.
Git mit uns

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 04:58:08 AM »
The most newsworthy thing I could find on that date was a world Poker tournament.  Hardly likely to excite hundreds of people into logging on here.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 01:15:52 PM »
The most noteworthy thing I found "on this day" was that November 9th was the 20th anniversary of the falling of the Berlin Wall.
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +313/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 08:43:42 AM »
On that date I was streaking across all of wwgha, and a shitload of women were coming here and laughing and pointing. It was embarrassing to say the least but I did it on a dare.  Though, I think screwtape joined in by throwing feces at me; I don't know if they were his, or what, but, they did smell kind of rank, and reminded me of the time I streaked a zoo.  Which wasn't pleasant since all the animals were laughing and pointing, as well.

I'd do it again but I recently hurt my left knee, and I just don't think I could streak without falling.  And, then you have everyone pointing and laughing, including me, at the utter stupidity of doing such a thing.

True story.   Would I lie?

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 05:25:00 PM »
maybe that date was another one of Harold Camping's end of the world predictions and the fundies came here to see all the athesits "left behind"?
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +527/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 05:48:31 PM »
According to the information at the bottom of the main page, 1251 people were viewing the forum on 9 November 2009.

Could be the rest of the world who see 9/11 as November 9th...
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 05:56:44 PM »
Well, thankyou for the suggestions, serious and not so serious.

I guess it's just one of those mysteries.
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +869/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 06:52:29 PM »
On that date I was streaking across all of wwgha, and a shitload of women were coming here and laughing and pointing. It was embarrassing to say the least but I did it on a dare.  Though, I think screwtape joined in by throwing feces at me; I don't know if they were his, or what, but, they did smell kind of rank, and reminded me of the time I streaked a zoo.  Which wasn't pleasant since all the animals were laughing and pointing, as well.

I'd do it again but I recently hurt my left knee, and I just don't think I could streak without falling.  And, then you have everyone pointing and laughing, including me, at the utter stupidity of doing such a thing.

True story.   Would I lie?

-Nam
I didn't need that visual. Quick, pull up Thor images!
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +313/-84
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 07:01:52 PM »
I thought it was funny.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +869/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 02:51:50 PM »
I thought it was funny.

-Nam

I never said it wasn't funny. Things can be disturbing and funny. :?
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +313/-84
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 03:16:20 PM »
You know you liked it.

;)

-Nam