Author Topic: wingnut's slippery slope refuted  (Read 887 times)

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
wingnut's slippery slope refuted
« on: June 27, 2013, 12:04:35 PM »
A common conservative slippery-slope objection is that when same-sex marriages are legal, that opens the door (morally and legally) to anything and everything. Found good responses to that in a thread on the Friendly Atheist (http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2013/06/26/bryan-fischers-logic-in-response-to-the-striking-down-of-doma/).

Basically, wingnut Bryan Fischer is unhappy about the SCOTUS decision and predicting that the US will now commence mainstreaming pedophilia, incest, bestiality and probably marrying kitchen appliances. Two forum members immediately point out a few problems with those assumptions.

It shouldn't, but somehow still amazes me that people like Fischer can't just look around them and see that places like Canada, much of Scandinavia and Massachusetts aren't havens of incest and bestiality for allowing gay marriage. Carrying out an openly sexual relationship with your children or pet in any of those places will still get you shunned and locked up PDQ.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
Re: wingnut's slippery slope refuted
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 01:38:49 PM »
Two forum members immediately point out a few problems with those assumptions.

You mean besides the fact that the assumptions are stupid?  &)
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 01:41:18 PM »
Do you think fundie pastors might be concerned their long time boyfriends might demand some sort of legal standing now?
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 01:42:46 PM »
Do you think fundie pastors might be concerned their long time boyfriends might demand some sort of legal standing now?

Probably.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 01:51:21 PM »
I guess I'm more confused as to what their objection is... that biblegod supposedly hates gays or is it the slippery slope concern? 

I see the legal arguments and the "bible" arguments as almost completely different, since you will never be able to square the two.  On one hand you have archaic laws/sayings/commands that haven't evolved based on knowledge/experience/practicality since some goat herder wrote them down (I know they changed in transaltion over time but essenitally still the ramblings of primitives).  On the legal side, there's no absolute really for the issue - it evolves over time.

Ask me a year ago when I was still in fundie-land lite, and I would have sided with biblegod, just cuz he sez so.... Now, since I've awoken from that looong fog - I wonder what the big deal is - why is it my business?
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 02:29:33 PM »
A common conservative slippery-slope objection is that when same-sex marriages are legal, that opens the door (morally and legally) to anything and everything. Found good responses to that in a thread on the Friendly Atheist (http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2013/06/26/bryan-fischers-logic-in-response-to-the-striking-down-of-doma/).

Basically, wingnut Bryan Fischer is unhappy about the SCOTUS decision and predicting that the US will now commence mainstreaming pedophilia, incest, bestiality and probably marrying kitchen appliances. Two forum members immediately point out a few problems with those assumptions.

It shouldn't, but somehow still amazes me that people like Fischer can't just look around them and see that places like Canada, much of Scandinavia and Massachusetts aren't havens of incest and bestiality for allowing gay marriage. Carrying out an openly sexual relationship with your children or pet in any of those places will still get you shunned and locked up PDQ.
Hey, my frig is pretty good looking. ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 02:59:56 PM »
I'm gay for my Mr Coffee...

Offline shnozzola

• Reader
  • Darwins +110/-2
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 04:10:18 PM »
From the original heavy metal movie:

Edsel:      The first Earth chick we see in 10 years and he has to make a play for her.

Gloria:    [to Robot] I'm just scared I'll come home one day and find you screwing a toaster.

Robot:    Earth women who experience sexual ecstasy with mechanical assistance always tend to feel guilty!

Zeks:      Hey, do we have any of that Plutonian Nyborg left?
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +411/-5
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 05:05:04 AM »
Bottom line (as I said in t'other thread).

We have only progressed to gay marriage, because there was already such a thing as straight marriage.  Therefore, straight marriage was the start of the slippery slope to gay marriage, and is therefore responsible for any further changes.  Abolish straight marriage, and all the concerns he has about people marrying toasters will vanish, because "marriage" will not exist.

Makes as much sense as any of their bonkers objections.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 05:07:59 AM »
<snip>
Makes as much sense as any of their bonkers objections.

Indeed it does.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 08:31:58 AM »
What really makes me scratch my noodle is Bill Clinton signed DOMA into law along with a host of democrats voting for it (as well as repubs).

I hate the hypocrisy of those folks running around now like they just overturned slavery....  Politicians make me ill.

Just acknowledge times have changed and society evolves and move on.

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +56/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 02:20:03 PM »
Just acknowledge times have changed and society evolves and move on.

That goes against the very fiber of the conservative movement.
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz