Author Topic: Boycott the Winter Olympics  (Read 544 times)

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-2
Boycott the Winter Olympics
« on: August 09, 2013, 03:14:41 AM »
Has this been posted yet?

Now, I don't usually post stuff like this but since it's one of my heroes talking ...

http://www.stephenfry.com/2013/08/07/an-open-letter-to-david-cameron-and-the-ioc/

So, yeah, I know that the IOC is way to wrapped up in the $$$$$$$$$$$ of it all to give a flying fuck but I'm still going to post this, hoping against hope that it will actually accomplish something. Read it, agree with it and post it all over the place.

Hey, I'm a cold war kid, back in my day, countries boycotted the olympics because the leader of the host nation combed his hair the wrong way. Boycotting was so commonplace, it almost became an olympic discipline in and off itself.
So, yeah, countries should boycott the Russian Winter Olympics.
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline Iamrational

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +9/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Boycott the Winter Olympics
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 06:55:45 AM »
I was not aware of this immoral policy. Thank you for bringing that to my attention. I will not support the Olympics if they stay in Russia.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 02:35:22 PM »
I saw a post today that had another idea. Instead of a boycott, they suggested the Olympic Committee BAN the soviets from competing. The soviet law is in direct contradiction to the stated goals of the olympics, and bans have been implemented for countries for racist laws, and smaller issues. That would get their attention. :)
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +65/-0
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 07:41:30 PM »
Sadly, I think the Olympics will go ahead as planned. It is too late to move them, and I wouldn't expect any professional athlete who has been training for this for the past four years to protest by not going. However, should any of these archaic laws be used to punish athelete/friends/family/trainers, then I certainly wouldn't want to be in Putin's shoes...
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +523/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 06:36:46 AM »
Someone once said that Russia has only Tsars: bad Tsars and good Tsars. Putin seems to be heading from being somewhat neutral to being a bad Tsar. There seems to be little doubt that he is slowly slipping into madness with his cult of personality and the repression of his opponents and other people and ideas of which he personally disapproves.

I note that the Orthodox Church’s role in all this seems to be growing. When Church and State come together to decided policy, it is the beginning of the end. At first, 90% agree with policies and 10% oppose them but are forced into agreement; at the end 10% agree with policies and 90% oppose but are forced into agreement.

Having said that and as much as I like Stephen Fry, his letter is long, rambling, relies heavily on exaggerated references to Hitler and the Jews and is inaccurate. He says

Any defence or sane discussion of homosexuality is against the law. Any statement, for example, that Tchaikovsky was gay and that his art and life reflects this sexuality and are an inspiration to other gay artists would be punishable by imprisonment.

This is not so. The law in question is that “Disseminating gay propaganda to those under 18 years of age is prohibited.” I doubt that Fry’s example would qualify and, even if it did, how many athletes from the last few Olympics can you recall who made pro-gay statements to audiences under 18?

As I heard Fry being interviewed yesterday on BBC Radio 4, he admitted that he did not want the Olympics boycotted but to be used as a propaganda machine: he suggested that all athletes make “some signal of solidarity, for example, crossing their arms, left hand to right shoulder, to show their opposition.”

This does not sit well with the letter, which says,

An absolute ban on the Russian Winter Olympics of 2014 on Sochi is simply essential. Stage them elsewhere in Utah, Lillyhammer, anywhere you like. At all costs Putin cannot be seen to have the approval of the civilised world.

I have not counted, but I suspect that there are far more countries with anti-gay laws and far more draconian ones than the Russian example.

As Putin’s attitude is that “everything is a propaganda opportunity”, it is hard to think that Fry does not share this attitude.

Do not think that I have any sympathy for the Russian people, who, for the most part, are insular, anti-gay or that I have any sympathy for Putin. As shown in The Bible, the default attitude to gays is “kill them all.” Education and change are required. I cannot see whatever it is that Fry is suggesting will be any more successful that “Rock Against Racism”.

It's worth a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_Games_scandals_and_controversies for the calls for boycotts and the effects of boycotts.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 06:56:34 AM by Graybeard »
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +128/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 06:45:09 AM »
I saw a post today that had another idea. Instead of a boycott, they suggested the Olympic Committee BAN the soviets from competing. The soviet law is in direct contradiction to the stated goals of the olympics, and bans have been implemented for countries for racist laws, and smaller issues. That would get their attention. :)

Maybe the entire Olympic committee could get off the plane in Sochi while wearing rainbow flags and kissing each other, then walk into some Russian clerk's office and ask for a marriage license.

Until I recently learned how homophobic Russians are, I considered that they just didn't care about homosexuals one way or the other.  It seems to take a lot to make Russians care about anything that is otherwise personal. I was shocked.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +65/-0
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 12:40:22 AM »
Don't go and tar all Russians with the same brush. They've had a few pro-gay rallies of late, but unfortunately they had the snot beaten out of them by the establishment...
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.