Author Topic: :( [#689]  (Read 876 times)

Offline DL

:( [#689]
« on: November 16, 2008, 05:53:02 PM »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HdugdTIS74[/youtube]

please get saved :(

Offline WellManicuredMan

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
Re: :( [#689]
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 06:00:16 PM »
please get saved :(

Why do we need saving from something that doesn't exist?

If I were to have a son sometime in the future and he said to me one night after I tucked him into bed "Please keep yourself safe from the bogeyman in my closet" would I seriously heed his warning?

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 06:14:16 PM »
Get saved from what?  Who? Ra, Zeus, Thor or any of the thousands of other gods?  I don't need saving from something that 1.) I didn't do wrong 2.) doesn't exist.
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 06:22:46 PM »
Christianity: The story of God sacrificing himself to himself to keep himself from sending us all to hell.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline Freezykow

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • "For the love of money is the root of all evil"
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 10:41:40 PM »
Christianity: The story of God sacrificing himself to himself to keep himself from sending us all to hell.

God didn't sacrifice himself. Try again.
When the power of love, overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. – Jimi Hendrix

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 10:43:33 PM »

OK.  Got it.  Jesus wasn't God.  He was just a meat sack, like a goat.  So, God did nothing ... humans did it all.

Thanks for the clarification.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 11:14:37 PM »

Really???
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Freezykow

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 03:55:16 PM »

OK.  Got it.  Jesus wasn't God.  He was just a meat sack, like a goat.  So, God did nothing ... humans did it all.

Take away everything after your third sentence and your right.
When the power of love, overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. – Jimi Hendrix

Offline Freezykow

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 03:55:38 PM »

Really???

Yep

Offline Vital

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • "...an atheist in the foxhole of life."
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 03:59:00 PM »

*Yawn* http://www.everystudent.com/wires/whodoyousay.html

there you go a whole page on why Jesus was a god.
the bible backs it.
...Christopher Hitchens wrote; "Forgotten were the elementary rules of logic, that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence and that what can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."

Offline Freezykow

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 04:01:02 PM »

*Yawn* http://www.everystudent.com/wires/whodoyousay.html

there you go a whole page on why Jesus was a god.
the bible backs it.

Yes Jesus was very powerful but he was not God. The Bible backs this up also.

Offline Vital

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 04:05:19 PM »
Theres no way you read through that whole page.  I can prove this 2 ways!  Unless your Data and can read incredibly fast theres no way you even looked at it, Or you have no idea and your just guessing.  Cause that page is ALL about how Jesus was god.  Heres just the intro to all the info:

The earliest followers of Jesus all seemed pretty convinced that Jesus was fully God in human form. Paul said, "He is the image of the invisible God...in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell." John said that Jesus created the world. Peter said, "every one who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name."

But what did Jesus say about himself? Did he ever identify himself as God? According to the Bible...absolutely! Below are some of his statements made while on earth, in their context.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 04:14:13 PM by Vital »
...Christopher Hitchens wrote; "Forgotten were the elementary rules of logic, that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence and that what can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 04:09:47 PM »

Right.  Christianity: The story of God sacrificing himself to himself to keep himself from sending us all to hell.

Offline Freezykow

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 04:18:52 PM »

Right.  Christianity: The story of God sacrificing himself to himself to keep himself from sending us all to hell.

What? You didn't listen to me at all did you. It's almost like you said 2+2=5. Then I say no 2+2=4. After that you agree and say oh your right 2+2 does =5. Read Matthew 24:36 and that should clear things up.

Offline Vital

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 04:27:59 PM »
Here

Matthew 24:36
But of that day and hour no one knoweth, not the angels of heaven, but the Father alone.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2008, 05:18:48 PM »
What? You didn't listen to me at all did you.

Returning the favor.

Offline Freezykow

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2008, 06:05:21 PM »
Here

But of that day and hour no one knoweth, not the angels of heaven, but the Father alone.

Did you think I would notice you left out "nor the Son"?

Offline Freezykow

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2008, 06:10:26 PM »
What? You didn't listen to me at all did you.

Returning the favor.

Fairs Fair I suppose.

Offline Vital

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2008, 12:27:16 AM »
Here

Well "I" didn't leave out any thing.  Maybe you should go pick up some other bibles.  Then you would see that some don't have the "nor the son" part.  If you wanted the "nor the son" part then you should of posted the passage and not left it to us to look up.

Offline Freezykow

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2008, 12:17:55 PM »
Here

Well "I" didn't leave out any thing.  Maybe you should go pick up some other bibles.  Then you would see that some don't have the "nor the son" part.  If you wanted the "nor the son" part then you should of posted the passage and not left it to us to look up.

Sorry my very hostile friend. I just read, posted, and watched.

Offline oneking

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2008, 08:06:34 PM »
I am sooooooo lost on this whole thread!  It sounds like a Christian arguing with an unbeliever, but I can't make much sense of it.

Offline Airyaman

• Fellow
  • Darwins +17/-2
  • Alignment: True Neutral
    • Moving Beyond Faith
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2008, 09:27:56 PM »
Yes Jesus was very powerful but he was not God. The Bible backs this up also.

Just another example of why the bible is not the "perfect" word of some deity.
If you are following God why can I still see you?

Offline Freezykow

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2008, 04:08:04 PM »
I am sooooooo lost on this whole thread!  It sounds like a Christian arguing with an unbeliever, but I can't make much sense of it.

Threads sometimes are very confusing to those not directly involved in the thread. Especially when the Original Topic is changed.