Author Topic: DOMA!  (Read 486 times)

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
DOMA!
« on: June 26, 2013, 07:19:03 PM »
Well, the long awaited Supreme Court ruling came out today, and it is official.  The federal government of the US may not deny same sex couples the rights and responsibilities of marriage. 

This is huge.  And as someone who works with adult immigrants, refugees and displaced people, I am THRILLED to announce that same sex bi-national couples in the US will now be granted the same rights as heterosexual bi-national couples.  Which is NOT always great.  But for a lot of families, the world changed today.

It sure did for this couple.

The DOMA Project, which has been working with bi-national couples applying for green cards and fiancé visas, posted this on facebook today:

10:30 EDT: NYC Immigration Judge stopped #deportation proceedings for Colombian man married to gay American citizen after #SCOTUS ruling on #DOMA. Steven and Sean, The DOMA Project participants, filed for a green card on the basis of their marriage last year. This morning our intern, Gabe, ran the 77-page ruling and delivered it the Immigration Court five blocks from our office. It was still warm from the printer

And then there is this family:

And for the US citizen families, it means social security benefits and inheritance rights and all sorts of basic stuff that was created to support families. 

At least in states in which gays and lesbians are allowed to marry.

Now the confusing part sets in.  What about couples who marry in one state, and then move to a state that doesn't recognize marriage equality?  We are not THERE yet. 

But we are getting closer. 

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
Re: DOMA!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 08:18:19 PM »
I found it ironic that Scalia said the court should not interfere in laws passed by congress just a day after gutting the voting right act.  What a disgusting hypocrite.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +846/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 08:55:57 PM »
Yay, yay, yay.

"Interfaith" marriage, like a Catholic marrying a Jew, used to be a big hoopla, and now almost nobody cares. Nobody thinks that couples have to be the same age or income or nationality to get married. Interracial marriage also had to go to the Supreme Court, and now the few people who are against it know better than to voice their stupidity in public.

The old, ignorant, prejudiced anti-gay people already lost this one big time in the court of public opinion. And now in the Supreme Court. Someday gay marriage will be as accepted as any other kind, because most young folks are in favor of it.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 02:49:15 AM »
Now, just the states which I think will happen a lot sooner than later.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 10:18:06 AM »
Another step towards reaching the US ideal of equality for all. I shall savor each and every scream of outrage from the supporters of Prop. 8; sweet, sweet music to my filthy liberal ears.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 12:44:14 PM »
It really is about time.  To me the argument should have never been between religious and non-religious parts of the spectrum.  I am not for gay marriage because I'm not religious.  I am for gay marriage because I believe the simple ideal that a human being deserves to be treated like a human being no matter the sexual orientation, skin color, sex, particular eccentricities, or any other parameter.  To me it really is just that simple.
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 12:46:40 PM »
I gotta say, I didn't expect this. Discrimination seems to be allowed (almost) everywhere in the USA.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Energized

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +29/-1
  • Enma Ai is GOD!
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 02:38:24 PM »
And so begins the bitching and moaning from the religious right wondering how soon it will be before children can marry adults, and people can marry their cats or themselves, etc...

Ugh. Fucktards, the lot of them.

I'm pleased that the US is moving in the right direction. But given the inherent prejudice from religious folks, this won't do much to stem the hate...

E. 
'O pitiful shadow lost in the darkness,
Bringing torment and pain to others.
O damned soul wallowing in your sin.
Perhaps it is time to die?'

~Enma Ai, Jigoku Shoujo

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 08:27:16 PM »
And so begins the bitching and moaning from the religious right wondering how soon it will be before children can marry adults, and people can marry their cats or themselves, etc...

I'm pleased that the US is moving in the right direction. But given the inherent prejudice from religious folks, this won't do much to stem the hate...

E.
Hey, besides my frig, my cat is damn good looking.  Do I have to pick or can I marry both? ;)

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 02:49:34 AM »

E. 

Rand Paul already stated something similar (as I saw on The Daily Show tonight).

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 04:53:12 AM »

Those kind of "objections" so annoy me because they are so evidently foolish.

"How soon it will be before children can marry adults"?  Well, we've had straight marriage for centuries, so presumably we are well along this route.  We should ban straight marriage quickly, in case it leads to straight adults marrying children.

"people can marry their cats".  Yeah.  Because animals have the ability to consent to marriage. 

It's all just so damn stupid!
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 03:57:54 PM »
Saw this on FB, and just had to share.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +846/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2013, 07:53:06 PM »
Today I saw a church sign that said, defiantly: One Nation Under God! I wanted to change it to "One Nation Under A Groove, Dammit! And Gays Rock!"
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2013, 08:27:27 AM »
The most I got from a church sign in my town is "The Sun is the way to Heaven".  I think they meant "The Son is the way to Heaven" but then again: maybe now they're a paganist cult, or something. ;)

-Nam

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2013, 10:02:12 AM »
The most I got from a church sign in my town is "The Sun is the way to Heaven".  I think they meant "The Son is the way to Heaven" but then again: maybe now they're a paganist cult, or something. ;)

-Nam
It was probably a sun worshipping cult to begin with anyhow...then morphed into the son of god somehow.  So the church with the sign just came full circle.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +125/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2013, 04:32:03 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=584052871635575&set=a.367249613315903.85664.354522044588660&type=1&ref=nf

This was posted by my sweet "nephew."  He's the son of my ex.  They all still refer to me as their "Aunt Lori."  Although I don't wish the struggle of being different on anyone I do like to stick it to my fundie ex mother in law who still resents that I didn't stick with her addict son & pray it out...
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.