Author Topic: Tattoos  (Read 1714 times)

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +377/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
Tattoos
« on: June 25, 2013, 12:20:58 PM »
Does anyone else on this forum have a thing for ink (either getting it done or admiring)?

I'm going for a new piece soon-ish and am looking for inspiration.  Any interweb sites that anyone can recommend for viewing/admiring?
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: Tattoos
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 12:27:49 PM »
I'd like to get some tattoos on my arms, hands and back, but I'm afraid I won't be able to get a job if I have them.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +377/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 12:44:13 PM »
I'd like to get some tattoos on my arms, hands and back, but I'm afraid I won't be able to get a job if I have them.
The workplace is becoming more accepting of tattoos.  That being said, it's certainly a good idea to be cognizant of the professional ramifications of exposed ink.  By and large a piece on your back should leave you relatively immune to criticisms of professionalism - if your job function necessitates your back being exposed on a regular basis I would say there is a high likelihood in that particular industry not really caring whether or not you have tattoos.

I suppose I should share some sites I've browsed around looking for inspiration:
http://tattoolit.com
http://www.geekytattoos.com/
http://tattooinspirationforburners.tumblr.com/
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 12:50:20 PM »
The workplace is becoming more accepting of tattoos.  That being said, it's certainly a good idea to be cognizant of the professional ramifications of exposed ink.

I want to be a physicist, among other things. Somehow I doubt they'd allow tattoos, even if I were the smartest of them all.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 01:47:59 PM »
I'd get one of Jesus like on that dog's a$$.  Then you can claim you are one of the chosen ones.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +896/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 04:25:45 PM »
Get lots of risque tattoos in really obvious places! And make sure they are really amateurish so you look like a gang member. Reduces the job competition for the rest of us.  ;)

Actually I like well-done artistic or cultural tattoos. Just not too many.....I see more and more young people who will only be able to get work in coffee shops or circuses.

Yes, I know I sound old. I am old. Get offa my lawn, ya painted freak! :angel:

ps My daughter wants one. I tell her when she is 21 she have anything carved on her body she wants.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 05:28:38 PM »
Does anyone else on this forum have a thing for ink (either getting it done or admiring)?

I currently have three tattoos and am about to get a fourth (and by "about" I mean within this week).  As far as the workplace goes most places don't have a problem with them.  The hospital where I'm attending school has a "cover-them-up" policy and I already have long-sleeve shirts to wear under my scrubs.  Plus I have virtually zero patient contact which makes the policies for laboratory workers more lax.

Besides my own I love tattoos in general.  Love to look at them, admire them, and I've got a "wishlist" of sorts with bigger tattoo plans.  Of course bigger tattoos require more money... yeah... some day.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 05:33:26 PM by Irish »
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +31/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 05:30:48 PM »
 I always sobered up before I got to the tattoo parlor.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 05:36:17 PM »
I want to be a physicist, among other things. Somehow I doubt they'd allow tattoos, even if I were the smartest of them all.

You might be pleasantly surprised.  There's a whole "genre" and webpages dedicated to science folks who have science-themed tattoos.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 05:38:12 PM »
You might be pleasantly surprised.  There's a whole "genre" and webpages dedicated to science folks who have science-themed tattoos.

Who said anything about science-themed tattoos?
We choose our own gods.

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 05:39:46 PM »

Who said anything about science-themed tattoos?

Whoops!  That was me interjecting my thoughts into general speech.  My bad.  Remove "science-themed" and you'll get what I meant to say.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 05:49:43 PM »
Whoops!  That was me interjecting my thoughts into general speech.  My bad.  Remove "science-themed" and you'll get what I meant to say.

While that's good news for freedom of speech, I'd rather not risk it.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 05:54:11 PM by One Above All »
We choose our own gods.

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 06:02:43 PM »

It's everyone's decision to weigh the pros and cons.

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +377/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 08:11:43 PM »
Probably the best policy to err on the side of caution.  Besides, it's a lot easier to get it on than it is to take it off.

I will say this though: a career in science, I would wager, is one of the better professions to be able to express one's own, personal idiosyncrasies outwardly.  It is probably one of the professions where actual merit is valued over looking meritorious.  Not saying that most professions are superficial or anything, but do we give a Nobel prize to the peeps who propose a testable claim for string theory or the peeps in the nice suits?

Hell, if Feynman can use a strip joint as a second office, you can have some color on your arm.

- Eddie Izzard

Offline Schizoid

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +10/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2013, 10:40:36 PM »
I got my first and only tattoo at the age of 55.  It's on my upper right arm so it is hidden by even a short shirt sleeve.  I loved the movie "V for Vendetta" so I had the V logo with the dripping blood as my tattoo with the word "FREEDOM" above it and "FOREVER" below it.  The whole thing is pretty large because I've never liked those tattoos that are so small you can't tell what they are.  You can tell what mine is and anyone who has seen the movie instantly recognizes it.

I've heard it said that once you start with a tattoo that you can't stop but I've never really had the urge to have another one.  Having that particular tattoo would make my body very easily identifiable--I doubt if anyone has one just like it.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2013, 03:11:35 AM »
As far as employment goes, you can get tattoos in places you can cover up. For example I've got this tattoo on my leg:

My sister did that one for me, she's looking to become a tattoo artist.

So nobody can really notice unless I'm wearing shorts or a kilt.

Currently it's my only tattoo, but I do plan on getting more. My brother on the other hand he has loads and it hasn't affected his job. I think if you're gonna get tattoos, do it once you've got the job you want and then you'll know what you can get away with.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2013, 03:19:01 AM »
Marge Simpson: When my father got out of the navy he swore a blue streak. It nearly affected his job as a baby photographer.

PS, awesome legs Sep
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +93/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2013, 03:50:45 AM »
I love tatts I have them in places that they can't be seen when I'm wearing a short sleeved shirt. I took 7 years for anyone at my work to find out i had any  :D

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2013, 03:56:53 AM »
I love tatts I have them in places that they can't be seen when I'm wearing a short sleeved shirt. I took 7 years for anyone at my work to find out i had any  :D

You simply cannot leave the story there.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +93/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2013, 04:21:59 AM »

You simply cannot leave the story there.

I used to travel quite a lot with work mostly on my own. On one trip I went with a colleague, I used the hotel swimming pool after we'd finished for the day and she happened to notice the large crucifix on my left shoulder[1] And then the rest. I don't go swimming in Saudi.
 1. not religious I'm a big fan of GnR

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2013, 04:37:56 AM »
Took about 5 minutes before my boss realised I had a tatoo. It was quite simple really at the end of the interview he offered me the job, we started walking and talking, he inquired about my musical tastes, "I said metal" and he said he was a big In Flames fan and my tattoo is the darma wheel done in the style of the In Flames wheel, so I showed him and said "me too!".
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Online Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +191/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2013, 09:06:43 AM »
I've got a tattoo that most people do not notice, on my back at my right shoulder. It's easy to keep it under cover at work, and my last job did have a rule about visible body modifications - I worked at a corporate HQ. Anything other than a tank top is enough to cover it, so it wasn't a problem at all.

I will also point out though, that I wouldn't do another one on the other side - I like my tat, but I can't see it without a mirror. I was more concerned about being able to cover it when necessary, and didn't take my own view into consideration - ooops. Lesson learned.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2013, 11:06:43 AM »

Just to add on this: I also want to get a tattoo on my chest.
We choose our own gods.

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +377/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2013, 11:20:55 AM »
Just to add on this: I also want to get a tattoo on my chest.
Got one near the chest; them buggers hurt.

I've got a tattoo that most people do not notice, on my back at my right shoulder. It's easy to keep it under cover at work, and my last job did have a rule about visible body modifications - I worked at a corporate HQ. Anything other than a tank top is enough to cover it, so it wasn't a problem at all.

I will also point out though, that I wouldn't do another one on the other side - I like my tat, but I can't see it without a mirror. I was more concerned about being able to cover it when necessary, and didn't take my own view into consideration - ooops. Lesson learned.
Hrm...next piece is intended to be upper back/shoulder and would necessitate personal viewing with a mirror.  I may rethink this.

- Eddie Izzard

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +377/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2013, 11:22:13 AM »
<image snip>
My sister did that one for me, she's looking to become a tattoo artist.
Based on that line work I'd call her a tattoo artist already.

- Eddie Izzard

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2013, 11:23:32 AM »
Got one near the chest; them buggers hurt.

Don't all tattoos hurt?
We choose our own gods.

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2013, 11:32:24 AM »
You couldn't be a member of the (city) gang I belonged to if you has any tattoos because it was just a way for the police to spot and identify you. We avoided every reason for a cop to look at us. We practiced stealth and avoidance, very few of us ever got caught or arrested. If you were stupid or attracted attention you couldn't get into the gang. We ran a pretty significant criminal enterprise.

Then I got old and changed my ways......  No I didn't get a tattoo, just became a good citizen.
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +377/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2013, 11:35:17 AM »
Don't all tattoos hurt?
Well, yeah, but some places hurt more than others.

- Eddie Izzard

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2013, 11:37:24 AM »
Well, yeah, but some places hurt more than others.

I'm fairly confident I can handle it. Still, it's not like I'll have the chance to test my hypothesis.
We choose our own gods.