Author Topic: My opinion about people who change of religion  (Read 421 times)

Offline viocjit

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
  • WWGHA Member
My opinion about people who change of religion
« on: June 24, 2013, 02:12:46 PM »
My opinion about people who change of religion is the next.
I think that people who leave their religion to change of religion are people who know that their religion is not the truth. Therefore they will make researches about others religions and will find a religion who can satisfy them.

Why I think that ? I read messages in many Francophone forums about people who leaved Islam for Christianity and all these people discovered that Islam is not the truth. Likewise for people who leaved Christianity for Islam.

But we can note that all of them didn't analysed all main texts (holy book , commentaries by theologians , others texts who are the foundation of this religion etc...) about their new religion.

Also I can saw that many of them don't have the basic scientifical knowledge (Cosmology , Evolution theory , Gravity etc...)

What is your opinion about that ?

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
Re: My opinion about people who change of religion
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 05:58:56 PM »
One of the things that has always puzzled me is the number of people who convert when they marry. Jews to Christians or vice versa, or more subtle changes. How can one believe Jesus is the savior one day, and just because one is in love with someone change your mind and decide the savior hasn't come yet. I mean, c'mon, isn't that a fundamental shift in thinking? I have scratched my head over this all my life.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Bereft_of_Faith

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +39/-2
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 01:53:08 AM »
One of the things that has always puzzled me is the number of people who convert when they marry. Jews to Christians or vice versa, or more subtle changes. How can one believe Jesus is the savior one day, and just because one is in love with someone change your mind and decide the savior hasn't come yet. I mean, c'mon, isn't that a fundamental shift in thinking? I have scratched my head over this all my life.

I was born gentile (was told I was 'born' jewish).  I always found judaism to be so depressing.  I always wanted 'out'.  I dated gentile girls only.  I married a gentile woman, and used that as an excuse to abandon judaism and become a xian.  I took xianity far more seriously than my wife, and indoctrinated my young children with all of the usual crap.  I eventually lost my faith in religion, then in jesus, then the abrahmic god, and finally in any notion of god.

TL/DR... sort of repulsed by judaism, fled to its traditional adversary.  Did not work.

Online wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-1
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 05:43:37 AM »
Yes, people who change religion have often puzzled me too. I can understand that some people chnage their religion on marriage in order to fit in or ven be allowed to marry. I have come across various people who converted to Judaism for marriage reasons. I have to say I have some doubts about their religious belief though.

As for people who get talked into another religion - maybe Christians converting to Islam - I cannot understand how this works. One has to presume that the person had less that an enthusiastic belief in the old religion to even consider embracing a new religion. That, though, does make one wonder how much they embrace the new religion and its tenets and how much this is more about the friendships that the person has or which develop in the conversion process. I do rather think that the main thing about being part of a religion is the friendships and companionship that a group of like-minded people share at worship rather than a real embrace of a non-material god and such laws as men have ascribed to him.
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline Gabehtc

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 03:33:24 PM »
Interesting thought. People who change religions are the same as people who change there beliefs while keeping the same religion, such as my parents. They have been christians since I can remember. I grew up not really knowing what to believe because my parents were always telling me something more on how toget to heaven. My older sister was "saved" by saying a prayer... "Jeasus please come into my heart...." A few years later they told my sister that wasnt biblical and told her she had to believe jesus died on the cross and repent to get to heave. So once again she had to be saved. Several years later it changed again and now they are praying for her.

From growing up seeing this I have come to the conclusion that whatever god you choose to follow you do so because you dont know how to believe in yourself. You need an imaginary being to rely on.

It reminds me of when I learned to ride a bike. At first I was scared, but knowing my father was behnd me gave me the courage to do it. Until one day I realized he wasnt behind me anymore and I was peddling all on my own.