Author Topic: The species is f*cked up, will we make it?  (Read 260 times)

Offline shnozzola

The species is f*cked up, will we make it?
« on: June 23, 2013, 09:38:44 AM »
   Reading a story about a fight on Everest where the Sherpas had rocks to kill the Americans who had insulted them, I can't help but wonder if the human species can survive.

With very much we take seriously but shouldn't  -  like having a new coffee pot for the office arrive late, or, what so and so superstar is wearing, or who they are marrying.  :o

And of course along with that the very much horrible we do not take seriously enough to stop, like even allowing one child to die in the Sudan  >:( , or allowing  Saudi Arabia or Iran from preventing an 11 year old girl from quenching her desire to take classes about the moon, or not totally prosecuting an institution with fucked up rules about sex from allowing pedophiles to hide out in its ranks - you have to wonder how our species can survive.

At the same time we have organized  flash mobs break out around the world into singing and dancing, or guys organizing a game called Tribal Wars where worldwide people meet and play harmless games of strategy with each other, or people traveling from all corners of the world to help in disaster emergencies, or Belgian monks making unimaginably good beer................... we have so much enlightenment along with so much dangerous mindlessness.

<Just venting - Sigh>
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +125/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
Re: The species is f*cked up, will we make it?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 12:13:53 PM »
random thoughts...

I love flash mobs.

I watched a TV show last night about young girls around the world.  It highlighted the importance of education & featured girls from Sierra Lione, Some high up town in the Andes in Peru, a girl in Tibet, a girl in Afghanistan, a girl in some northern African place that had an earthquake...  Their stories were narrated by Merle Streep, Salma Hayak, Ann Hathaway, Selena Gomez...  Liam Neesen narrated in between...  Someone cared enough to make that film...

I've witnessed firsthand how terribly callous people can be when someone is in need

I've also seen people rally with encouragement

Unfortunately it seems like dumb people tend to have more kids than smart people...  (no offense intended to anyone)
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 05:01:26 PM »
Unfortunately it seems like dumb people tend to have more kids than smart people...  (no offense intended to anyone)

As stupid of a movie as it was, this is exactly what Idiocracy got right.

We've made it for a very long time and we have been fucked up for a long time, I suppose the only thing that would make us destroy ourselves is our destructive power, but thankfully we've not resorted to nuclear war, it's scary that people have in their power that level of destruction, but I suspect we will go on for much longer. As much as there are fucked up people in the world we tend to forget or appreciate the good, though it does at times seems to be less common. Humans are typically very selfish and can be wrathful in nature, which are traits that sadly also apply to smart people.

At least at the moment people are too scared of each other to launch their destructive power to somewhere else on the planet. But it only takes somebody of a less sound mind to push the big red button. If the person thinks they're ridding the world of evil, like created the modern equivalent of the flood, then of course we are truly fucked. However, I'm not going to allow myself to get worked up in paranoia, because it would achieve nothing.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +31/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 07:30:11 PM »
  Dumb people have smart kids.
  Smart people have dumb kids.
  Caring people have insensitive/selfish kids.
  Insensitive/selfish people have caring kids.
  Responsible people have irresponsible kids.
  Irresponsible people have responsible kids.
  The percentages are debatable.
  This is how the world works.

Bottom line:
  There are just too many fucking people on the planet and it's only going to get
  worse, much worse.

In my opinion the only solution:

http://www.vhemt.org/
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 07:45:37 PM »
Just heard that someone shot and killed another person while waiting in line to get the new Lebron shoes for $180.  The shooter then got back in line like nothing happened.  I guess he was standing his ground.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!