Author Topic: Cancer: Science scores, God fails  (Read 405 times)

Offline Jontom10

• Graduate
  • Darwins +14/-0
Hasa Diga Eebowai

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
Re: Cancer: Science scores, God fails
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 04:47:31 PM »
Another increment at improving the human condition, with a personal touch that left me in tears. The sequence of images at the end... Thanks for posting that, Jon.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Online jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +586/-18
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 05:28:34 PM »
HIV has long been a personal boogeyman of mine.  I learned about it in the fifth grade for a science report, and it's never stopped being horrifying and terrifying for me.

The idea of using a virus like this to save lives shocked me so much that I was literally speechless for several minutes - my thoughts were chasing themselves around in circles.  I'm actually having a hard time maintaining my composure after seeing that video.  I never would have thought of a treatment like that.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 05:43:03 PM »
Great video.

But I guess when you think about it, as a solution it makes sense. HIV is a virus that's very good at attacking cells and can defend itself against your immune system. If you can have it attacking the right cells then it's perfect.

I wonder if this type of science was inspiration for the Bourne Legacy, I watched that film the other day, basically people had genetic enhancements capable of being delivered into the body via a virus. I guess it is kinda mind blowing to see when something you might see in science fiction having some kind of basis in reality.

The idea of using AIDs to cure cancer seems bizarre, but I hope it is successful. I wonder if the same method could be used to kill a whole plethora of viruses? Including the kind of HIV that can kill you.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +272/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 05:54:00 PM »
The idea of using AIDs to cure cancer seems bizarre, but I hope it is successful. I wonder if the same method could be used to kill a whole plethora of viruses? Including the kind of HIV that can kill you.

Fighting fire with fire, as it were?  I think it could go several ways.  Either the good-guy HIV has the master key to shut down the deadly version, or the bad one could somehow evade it and perhaps even take it over, or they fight to a standstill.  (Mind you, a stalemate could still be a useful disease-fighting stratagem.)
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 06:36:09 PM »
It's also here:

As the late great Christopher Hitchens would have said, heaven watches with indifference...

CURE POINTS

MAN: 1,000,000 +
GOD: 0
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 06:38:44 PM by median »
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan