Author Topic: Boy Scouts vs The Church  (Read 823 times)

Offline shnozzola

Boy Scouts vs The Church
« on: June 22, 2013, 09:32:04 AM »
Hopefully another nail in the coffin of religion.

A number of churches that previously sponsored Boy Scout troops have said they plan to sever ties to the organization following its decision to lift a longtime national ban on admitting openly gay Scouts. Openly gay adults will still be barred from leadership roles in the organization.

"I think I can say with pretty strong accuracy that the vast majority of Southern Baptists are very disappointed in the latest change in policy ... deeply disappointed," Frank Page, president of the Southern Baptist Convention's executive committee, told ABCNews.com.

Page said that the Southern Baptist Convention -- the largest Protestant denomination in the United States -- would be holding its national meeting in two weeks, after which it would likely recommend that its 47,000 U.S. churches pull away from the Boy Scouts of America. From there, it is up to each individual church to decide what to do, said Page.

About 70 percent of all local Boy Scout troops are supported by religious groups, according to the Boy Scouts of America, and the Southern Baptist Convention currently sponsors "hundreds of troops, probably thousands," Page said.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/churches-sever-ties-boy-scouts-lifted-ban-gay/story?id=19270860#.UcWy9q3D_cs
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +114/-1
Re: Boy Scouts vs The Church
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 12:55:13 PM »
This sounds like great news! Scouts not tied to doing religious things all the time.
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 02:13:54 PM »
There is a Southern Baptist group in Kentucky that is starting their own group.  Forgot what it is going to be called.  On My Honor or Wood Chucks or something like that.  They say they have corporate money lined up in the 10s of millions.  So who knows.  All pretty sad when you really look at it.  Continue to make some poor kid look at himself as worthless, a leper to society.  Great bunch of Christians there.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +333/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 10:01:08 PM »
^How to Torment Homosexuals more likely.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 07:23:31 AM »
Nothing new here, but people are coming out of the closet, so to speak ...

Christian-based scouting group launches after Boy Scouts allow gay youth

“I want to have a prominent faith component that will be weaved in every fiber of the program,” said Stemberger, an Orlando attorney. “But at the same time, we are not going to become religious and churchy. This is not another church program. This is going to be a masculine outdoor program to raise young men.”

Boys, ages 5-17, may come from every religious background, but adult leaders in the program will adhere to a standard statement of Christian faith and values. The membership policy will focus on sexual purity rather than orientation. Gay youth and adults can participate, but they cannot “flaunt” their sexuality, Stemberger said in July.

Apparently the issue is outward appearances. They want more Schwarzenegger and less Liberace. I'm not sure how many flaunters they had in their troops before but I'm betting it was zero since they didn't think there were any gay boy scouts previously.

Jeff Rayno, 51, a field researcher from Pooler, Ga., said he’d like to lead a troop in the new organization. His son Daniel, 14, is a Boy Scout, and Rayno, who believes that homosexuality is a sin, didn’t want him to be exposed to gays or discussion about sexuality through the program.

Because we all know that you catch the gay disease by talking about it with others, especially others who already have the disease.

“I’m very excited that we can be starting a new thing that’s historical in nature that will be talked about years from now as being a cultural shift,” he said. “People are drawing somewhat of a line in the sand, saying that we have something that we believe in, we have a right to associate with people that think the same way that we do.”

This is hilarious. It will barely qualify as a footnote in history.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 12:31:43 PM »
There was a big meeting this weekend in Nashville to start a new organization just like scouts but without all that gay stuff...you know...like it use to be.  Wonder who there backers are...financially?

What a waste of time and money trying to form a group just like the scouts but not.

Offline wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +114/-1
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 02:47:09 PM »
Oh, there's nothing much new there! Any sort of human organisation goes through split after split as people don't quite agree on something vaguely important. Look how all the major (and minor) religions have split over the years.

Here in Scotland, where there was a walk out of the Church of Scotland general Assembly in 1840 which formed the Free Church of Scotland, the 'wee frees' as they are known are still splitting today over minor buts of doctrine that really don't affect anyone. It was always like this.

So, the Scouts are splitting.. but they won't be able to use the the word Scouts in their title, probably. Lots of cash will be wasted trying to defend that word!
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +333/-85
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 03:00:57 PM »
A whole bunch of guys together, taking showers together, sleeping together, etc., all sounds gay to me. Like the military before they allowed women, or gym class.

;)

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 06:43:24 PM »
After this, an organization will form for straights "scouts" that are blind but want to be able to carry and use firearms outside of Iowa.
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 06:45:10 PM »
After this, an organization will form for straights "scouts" that are blind but want to be able to carry and use firearms outside of Iowa.
Could be an interesting merit badge.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 07:06:52 PM »
A cub scout troop here in Oklahoma disbanded itself, so as not to associate with those "ungogly" types. The church that chartered them was ok with the BSA decision and I think they would have kept them if they wanted. Weird, but I know the folks in this group and it seemed a little out of sorts from what I knew of them.
Maybe book burnings next?

What I don't get is how plenty of fundie parents send their kids to public schools where they are probably far more likely to encounter openly gay kids and teachers. If those godly kids are going to be corrupted, won't it be more likely through five day a week exposure than a den meeting once a week and an occasional campout?

Is there anywhere fundies use logic?
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +56/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 07:44:38 PM »
"I think I can say with pretty strong accuracy that the vast majority of Southern Baptists are very disappointed in the latest change in policy ... deeply disappointed," Frank Page, president of the Southern Baptist Convention's executive committee, told ABCNews.com.

Name a time Southern Baptists weren't deeply disappointed about something.  They're whole purpose is to be disappointed about things.
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +333/-85
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 07:59:37 PM »
^yeah,they're almost like Catholics...wait, what?

;)

-Nam

Offline Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +76/-1
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 08:22:31 PM »
With so many bigots abandoning ship, maybe it won't be long until the BSA becomes sane enough to stop discriminating against atheists as well.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +333/-85
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 02:19:35 AM »
With so many bigots abandoning ship, maybe it won't be long until the BSA becomes sane enough to stop discriminating against atheists as well.

Funny.

-Nam

Offline churchgoingatheist

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 02:38:04 PM »
There have always been closeted homosexuals in the scouts, and if anti-gay splinter scout groups form, they will also have closeted homosexuals.  Only fools would think otherwise.  I met many closeted homosexuals when I worked at a boy scout camp and it was not a big deal.  I'm still trying to figure out if Scouts actually attracts homosexuals because of all the male bonding, or if the number of homosexuals there is in proportion with the general population.  (I wonder the same about ministry/priesthood--are there any studies about that??)

As an eagle scout-turned-athiest I have a lot of conflict about whether to get into scouting with my 1- and 2-year-olds when they get old enough.  I wish they could keep all the fun stuff but abandon the high-minded judgmental morality.  Whether a 12-year-old has belief in God or not and whether they like boys or girls has no bearing on their ability to have fun and develop camaraderie and character through civic activities.  It makes me pretty angry that there are so many stupid judgmental ignorant asshole parents out there who must foist their morality on innocent kids who just want to go camping and canoeing.  But scouting has been in decline for decades so this issue is not going to "kill" scouting as many say.  It's been on its way out for a while.  I actually think that as the zeitgeist changes regarding homosexuality, the scouts willingness to become more tolerant can only help it survive, if only for a while.

And a final comment: the scouts' new policy is that homosexual scouts are allowed but not homosexual leaders.  While that policy may ostensibly be about having morally upright leaders (offensive in itself), the thinly disguised subtext is that homosexuals are likely to be pedophiles.  I've followed this issue and I wish more people would call them out on that wildly offensive implication.