Author Topic: What a surprise.  (Read 453 times)

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +31/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
What a surprise.
« on: December 30, 2013, 08:28:52 PM »
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 08:41:09 PM by mrbiscoop »
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +756/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
Re: What a surprise.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 08:47:28 PM »
Ignorance knows no bounds. Especially when the ignorant get to set their own standards.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Ivellios

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-0
  • Seek and Ye Shall Find
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 07:09:04 AM »
It could mean that the smarter ones are jumping ship. It just shows %, not numbers.

Offline Spinner198

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-3
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 08:57:13 PM »
Ignorance knows no bounds. Especially when the ignorant get to set their own standards.
Isn't that what scientists do? They set their own standards on what is allowed in science by a priori demanding that all existence only be explained via natural means? Therefore they can only reach natural conclusions?

Offline Ivellios

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-0
  • Seek and Ye Shall Find
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 05:20:10 PM »
Isn't that what scientists do? They set their own standards on what is allowed in science by a priori demanding that all existence only be explained via natural means? Therefore they can only reach natural conclusions?

Sorry, when someone ran a particular experiment 1,000 times and yielded the same results each and every time, I know if I were to do it, it would work out the same way as well. Such a waste, right? You see, if even one pass yields different results, they have to scrap it and get back to the drawing board and try to find out why it didn't work that one time. iirc. That's how they discovered neutrinos or something. Science has a better track record than some lucky charm or prayer. Sometimes those appear to work, but they're capricious at best, aren't they?

Science doesn't have all the answers, but it's learning more and more as time passes. Each iteration becomes more accurate, than the last. The poplular alternative is to look at an ancient book written by people that thought the Earth was flat, and look upon that as 'true knowledge.'

So far, they've found that everything has a natural explanation. Things we don't know, may have something supernatural behind them. Just as Thomas Edison didn't invent the lightbulb in one go, scientists try to find a natural explanation. If there isn't, they'll be the first to admit it, but just because something didn't work once, doesn't mean, "There's a supernatural explanation!" You try something else, try try and try again. Using this method you can only find a natural explanation, if there is one. If there is no natural explantion, we will find what works. But capricious, immaterial, invisible, entities just don't leave much behind to be discovered in the natural world.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 05:34:44 PM by Ivellios »

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 05:26:10 PM »

Yes. However unlike the ignorant, scientists actually produce results. Actually even you do it in your day to day life, when you drop something you expect it to fall, you don't expect it to be lifted off to the moon by fairies. Sometimes something does not operate like you expect, say said something was a balloon filled with helium, to you still jump to the fairies explanation, or stick with the natural one?

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +662/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 12:11:08 PM »

In what way do non-natural conclusions explain things? Give me an example of one.  And I mean actually explain, with math.  If you can do that, then what you actually have is a natural explanation.  Sure, you might say the sun is pulled across the sky by a charriot-riding god.  But when that god does it on a path that is 100% predictable mathematically, and never, ever deviates, well, you kind of don't have a god so much as you have a natural phenomenon that follows a natural law.

That's the thing about supernatural explanations.  They don't actually explain anything.  Example: What makes life?  A soul.  Does that actually explain it?  Heck no. 

[edit - hit the post button too soon, accidentally]

Not only is a soul not observable, it ignores chemistry and everything else.  And if you simply stick to that answer, you never get to the bottom of it.  So, "supernatural explanation" is really a contradiction in terms.  It is a cessation of inquiry, and it explains nothing. 

In every case where natural explanations have gone up against supernatural explanations, natural has won every single time.  That is neither coincidence nor an accident. 

« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 12:16:40 PM by screwtape »
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +95/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 12:13:36 PM »
In what way do non-natural conclusions explain things? Give me an example of one. 

dammit, screw, you ninja'ed me.
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces