Author Topic: Diests, wouldn't heaven be boring?  (Read 1032 times)

Offline epidemic

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +58/-14
Diests, wouldn't heaven be boring?
« on: June 20, 2013, 08:24:39 AM »
What could I do for an eternity that would entertain me.  If there is a paradise, man it would require me not to be recognisable myself to enjoy it.  Imagine eternity doing everything you love the most.  to be crass, I don't think living in a constant state of orgasm would be much fun after a day or two.  Even if I were to study each and every atom, and gravaton partical in the universe for a month eventually I am gonna run out of things to do.  Trying to win converts of the souls in hell would only take a couple of billion years that still leaves an eternity left.  72 virgins is boring on that time scale &)

If I am  me in heaven I might be subject to banishment after receiving my final reward for a good life.  If I still have free will and am subject to the same human weakness as here I am bound to screw up with an eternity of chances to do so.

Perhaps heaven is a collective like the borg you go there to combine into a super collective being but lose your self in the process.  If you lose yourself aren't you essentially dead?   

So diests what do you imagine heaven to be like that avoids it being a form of hell.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 08:31:27 AM by epidemic »

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
Re: Diests, wouldn't heaven be boring?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 08:28:02 AM »
I don't think living in a constant state of orgasm would be much fun after a day or two. 

Then you're not doing it right  ;)
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline epidemic

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +58/-14
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 09:36:35 AM »
I don't think living in a constant state of orgasm would be much fun after a day or two. 

Then you're not doing it right  ;)

a not so smart all powerful being Like "Q" of Star Trek TNG.

As far as not doing it right.  Don't get me wrong I put orgasm and sex right up there on the list of good things to do.  But something the diests claim is with out bad the good is not really exceptional.

In heaven where there is nothing but a cosmic constant orgasm I am not sure you could really appreciate it.  Using ones human life on the time scale of enternity might let you forget your benchmark for bad.  The way I see it heaven would be fun for about a decade maybe ;D

« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 09:56:58 AM by epidemic »

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 11:27:06 AM »
Try to get a temp job at the pearly gate.  Might be fun watching people worry about getting in or not. ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Energized

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +29/-1
  • Enma Ai is GOD!
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 11:35:10 AM »
Can someone supply some verses that describe the afterlife in heaven?

E.
'O pitiful shadow lost in the darkness,
Bringing torment and pain to others.
O damned soul wallowing in your sin.
Perhaps it is time to die?'

~Enma Ai, Jigoku Shoujo

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 11:36:57 AM »
You mean theists, not deists. While deists are a subset of theists, their "hands-off" god would logically mean no afterlife.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline epidemic

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +58/-14
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 12:48:51 PM »
learn something new every day.   I thought a diest was a believer in god no specifics as to what that god does.  Oh well then Theist it is.

Offline Betelnut

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 07:44:50 PM »
Do people have bodies in heaven?  I don't see how people would any physical sensations otherwise since all of those come from the brain/body.

Offline Schizoid

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +10/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 07:59:26 PM »
No, heaven would not be boring to deists since their massively egotistical god would lobotomize them into eternally praising deist zombies.

Remember Dudley Moore in "Bedazzled" when the devil had him praise god to see what it was like to do it for eternity and he had enough after about 15 seconds?  That pretty much says it all for any god who finds the odor of burning animals to be pleasing.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 02:31:33 AM »
Christian Heaven: On your knees 24/7 sucking Biblegod's dick. If you don't swallow, you go to hell.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Ron Jeremy

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +60/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 04:29:48 AM »
It might not be all bad for the first couple of months - http://churchandstate.org.uk/2013/06/spanking-for-jesus-movement/
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - An example of a clearly demonstrably false biblical 'prophesy'.

The biblical myth of a 6000 year old Earth is proven false by the Gaia satellite directly measuring star age.

Offline epidemic

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +58/-14
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 10:43:49 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=TLGGKraKmXc#t=51s

I like the part of this video where you see how freakishly annoying having people sing your praises must suck for god.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +105/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 06:20:58 PM »
I know a few Christians I work with who would not consider it boring,,,,but then again talking to them their IQ's are somewhere near single digits
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 08:46:31 PM »
Hey magicmiles, what'd I say that wasn't true?

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Whateverman

• Reader
  • Darwins +6/-5
    • Skeptical Minds & Rational Thinkers
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 12:47:53 PM »
You mean theists, not deists. While deists are a subset of theists, their "hands-off" god would logically mean no afterlife.
Or, at the very least, no concept of an afterlife being associated with deism.

Thanks.  Haven't logged in here for a while, but I was going to just to post something along the same lines as your comments above.  Deists (technically theists) don't generally hold to the idea of an afterlife.

I do agree that the Christian "heaven" sounds abyssmal
- SMRT Admin

Compared to this thread, retarded midget wrestling for food stamps is the pinnacle of human morality.
-- Ambassador Pony

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 06:33:37 PM »
Nobody knows the answer to that.  It is all speculation. 
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline epidemic

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +58/-14
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2013, 10:35:22 AM »

My wife had an intersting take on it.  You might be able to enjoy it if you had a different perspective on time.  Excluding time from perspective might alleviate the boredom.

Online jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +373/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2013, 11:01:32 AM »

My wife had an intersting take on it.  You might be able to enjoy it if you had a different perspective on time.  Excluding time from perspective might alleviate the boredom.
Unfortunately that perspective fails; in the context of sentient experience, time is something that cannot be excluded.  As sentient creatures, we perceive the physical dimension of time as a gradient of experience.  Eliminating the gradient of experience ceases cognitive, sentient operation.  If nothing changes, then nothing can be experienced.  You can eliminate the physical dimension of time all you want; but anything a sentient creature will experience will be perceived as some passage of time[1].
 1. Yes, I've done enough drugs to know that, while I've had experiences that feel 'timeless', I have always had the feeling and perception that some amount of time has passed, if not externally, then internally in my thought processes.  Don't do drugs.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline epidemic

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +58/-14
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2013, 02:21:15 PM »

Unfortunately that perspective fails; in the context of sentient experience, time is something that cannot be excluded.  As sentient creatures, we perceive the physical dimension of time as a gradient of experience.  Eliminating the gradient of experience ceases cognitive, sentient operation.  If nothing changes, then nothing can be experienced.  You can eliminate the physical dimension of time all you want; but anything a sentient creature will experience will be perceived as some passage of time[1].
 1. Yes, I've done enough drugs to know that, while I've had experiences that feel 'timeless', I have always had the feeling and perception that some amount of time has passed, if not externally, then internally in my thought processes.  Don't do drugs.

that is way too deep for me.   I am just gonna answer with,,,, prove it.   I don't know the ins and outs of time but I did not think that sentients could not exist outside of time.  Every movie which addresses sentient timelesss creatures shows them as smart.

Online jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +373/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2013, 11:33:17 AM »
that is way too deep for me.   I am just gonna answer with,,,, prove it.   I don't know the ins and outs of time but I did not think that sentients could not exist outside of time.  Every movie which addresses sentient timelesss creatures shows them as smart.
I'm not sure I can prove it.  But it does at least make intuitive sense, yes?  Human perception of a flow of time is directly relate-able to changes of state.  If nothing changes, or if you do not experience anything (anything at all...not necessarily limited to just external stimuli - like having a thought), would you have an experience of time flowing?  If external time flowed, and absolutely nothing relating to 'you' has changed (had a thought, got poked with a needle, etc.), would you have experienced or know that time had flowed at all?

I'm making more of an argument regarding sentient perception, not really anything necessarily regarding the physical dimension of time.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline epidemic

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +58/-14
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2013, 02:18:03 PM »
I'm not sure I can prove it.  But it does at least make intuitive sense, yes?  Human perception of a flow of time is directly relate-able to changes of state.  If nothing changes, or if you do not experience anything (anything at all...not necessarily limited to just external stimuli - like having a thought), would you have an experience of time flowing?  If external time flowed, and absolutely nothing relating to 'you' has changed (had a thought, got poked with a needle, etc.), would you have experienced or know that time had flowed at all?

I'm making more of an argument regarding sentient perception, not really anything necessarily regarding the physical dimension of time.

Well I guess your decision to use the term "human perception".  Sorta pigeon holes you. 

Gods life must really suck because he is everywhere at everytime.  he knows all and sees all outcomes.  It is virtually impossible for him to be jealous, angry, surprised, upset, or happy.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2013, 02:26:55 PM »

Well I guess your decision to use the term "human perception".  Sorta pigeon holes you. 

Gods life must really suck because he is everywhere at everytime.  he knows all and sees all outcomes.  It is virtually impossible for him to be jealous, angry, surprised, upset, or happy.

then god must be the one bored out of his freaking (limitless) mind   :-\
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2013, 02:27:29 PM »
That is why He has His ants (us) to play with.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline epidemic

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +58/-14
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2013, 02:33:43 PM »
Can ants even be interesting to an omnipotent omnipresent being?

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2013, 02:49:30 PM »
Can ants even be interesting to an omnipotent omnipresent being?

If it weren't for the fact that the omnimax being created the ants and knows everything about them past present and future down to the smallest quark, I might say something like, "Yes, in a disinterested academic sense."  But since he did and does, I don't see how.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2013, 03:06:26 PM »
If it weren't for the fact that the omnimax being created the ants and knows everything about them past present and future down to the smallest quark, I might say something like, "Yes, in a disinterested academic sense."  But since he did and does, I don't see how.

Then again, this is the same omnimax being who said insects have four legs in Leviticus... so maybe he has something to learn from the ant.
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan