Author Topic: Donate to fix my helicopter and get a new car from God  (Read 1373 times)

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +54/-0
  • IXNAY
Donate to fix my helicopter and get a new car from God
« on: June 19, 2013, 11:33:48 AM »
A Texas pastor is being accused of “blasphemy” after he sent out a fundraising plea promising that God would give a new car in “52 days or 52 weeks” to anyone who chipped in $52 to fix his helicopter.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/06/19/texas-pastor-donate-to-fix-my-helicopter-and-get-a-new-car-from-god

“I’ve seen this man’s home, I’ve seen where he lives. You can’t tell me you don’t have $50,000 you can pay out of your own pocket.” ... New Light also owns a Hawker jet valued at $2 million and an aviation hangar valued at $3 million.

Praise the lard.
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
Re: Donate to fix my helicopter and get a new car from God
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 11:49:06 AM »
God would never go for a plan like this.  He was afraid of a stone tower being built... no way he wants people flying around in machines
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 03:31:28 PM »
Didn't the Catholic Church have trouble with this long ago with selling indulgences?  Bottom line...why pay for it yourself when the sheep will gladly do it.  Incredible how stupid some people must be.  What does a preacher do with a helicopter?  Does he shoot wild hogs from it in Texas for fun?

Oh, where do I sent my donation?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 03:41:20 PM »
God would never go for a plan like this.  He was afraid of a stone tower being built... no way he wants people flying around in machines

Just checking...you know it wasn't just that a tower was being built...right?
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 04:36:38 PM »

Enlighten us...what was it?

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 05:20:07 PM »
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 05:28:37 PM »
I'll also point out that the pastor doesn't specifically state that a new car will be received. But that is certainly the implication. And I think it's extremely foolish.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +275/-31
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 05:54:19 PM »
Not really foolish, if his goal is just a crass attempt to make money.  Then it's crass, rather than foolish.  ;)
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 06:02:36 PM »
Foolish if he genuinely believes that what he's doing is based on sound biblical teaching. And yes, also crass.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 06:50:43 PM »

I know apologists have added far more to the story than just the tower, but it's kind of like saying "you know there was no glass slipper"

Bottom line was... one absurd story reflects another. 

You did see the good Rev is replacing helicopter blades?  I guess he wore the old ones out doing the lord's work...

If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 07:11:51 PM »

I know apologists have added far more to the story than just the tower,

And you disagree that there is more to the story than 'just a tower'?
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +275/-31
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 08:10:55 PM »
Gotta side with MM on this one, Neo.  The issue wasn't just that they were making a tower that supposedly could get to heaven.  It was that they were making the tower in order to do so.  The (im)practicality of making such a tower isn't the point; the point is that Jealous couldn't abide by anyone else presuming to rise to His level.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 08:19:37 PM »

Nope... but you missed the next sentence

"Bottom line was... one absurd story reflects another." 

The (im)practicality of making such a tower isn't the point; the point is that Jealous couldn't abide by anyone else presuming to rise to His level.

Agreed... see my original statement:

"He was afraid of a stone tower being built... no way he wants people flying around in machines"
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 08:21:43 PM by neopagan »

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 08:24:16 PM »

Nope... but you missed the next sentence

"Bottom line was... one absurd story reflects another." 

The (im)practicality of making such a tower isn't the point; the point is that Jealous couldn't abide by anyone else presuming to rise to His level.

"He was afraid of a stone tower being built... no way he wants people flying around in machines"

Not afraid. Unwilling to allow disobedience.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 08:25:37 PM »
the point is that Jealous couldn't abide by anyone else presuming to rise to His level.

Geez, you make it sound so petty.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2013, 08:27:34 PM »
Not afraid. Unwilling to allow disobedience.

So, he took a collective "us" down to deal with those pesky peeps?  Ok, as you wish...  Back to sex parts of plants!  ;D

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +275/-31
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2013, 09:02:31 PM »

That is not in agreement with what I said.

In the story, Jealous didn't particularly care about the tower itself (ie. the accomplishments of Man).  It was the fact that Man was trying to become god-like in some way.  It was the intent of Man that he was punishing, not the accomplishment itself.  So unless we're flying around in machines in order to become like 'ol Jealous, they two situations aren't really analogous.

Nah, my Sunday school teacher did when I was a kid.  The story just kind of reads that way.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2013, 09:07:48 PM »
Then he should be really pissed at a lot of us today who are God-like...scientists and such.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2013, 04:24:21 AM »
the point is that Jealous couldn't abide by anyone else presuming to rise to His level.

Perhaps the most petty aspect of it all was ensuring that from that point on, it would be increasingly unlikely that anyone would be able to read and learn about Christianity from the original documents, but would have to rely on translations that may or may not have errors in them.

Kind of a weird thing to do for a god that wants us all to find him and worship him in the correct way.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +54/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2013, 01:13:47 PM »
Since this has derailed into a discussion on the Tower of Bable,  how come in Genesis 10 (5, 20, 31), everyone had languages according to their own tribe, but by Genesis 11-1 "...the whole world had one language and a common speech…" which Yahweh had to un-do? 
-- Bernie Katz

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2013, 06:08:08 PM »

Perhaps the most petty aspect of it all was ensuring that from that point on, it would be increasingly unlikely that anyone would be able to read and learn about Christianity from the original documents, but would have to rely on translations that may or may not have errors in them.

Kind of a weird thing to do for a god that wants us all to find him and worship him in the correct way.

Well, Anfauglir, if you think learning Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic will give you a kick start towards faith in God I sincerely promise to pay for lessons.[1]
 1. up to but not exceeding an amount I could spend without my wife noticing ;D
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2013, 06:21:14 PM »
Since this has derailed into a discussion on the Tower of Bable,  how come in Genesis 10 (5, 20, 31), everyone had languages according to their own tribe, but by Genesis 11-1 "...the whole world had one language and a common speech…" which Yahweh had to un-do?

A perspective:

https://www.christiancourier.com/articles/1125-do-genesis-10-and-11-conflict-with-reference-to-the-languages-in-the-earth
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2013, 07:32:22 PM »
This is not the first time that this song has been an appropriate response to a thread on this forum.  And I suspect it will not be the last. 

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2013, 10:01:55 PM »
I sincerely apologize for derailing this thread with the tower of Babel/Babble/Bable reference.  :D

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +54/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2013, 01:01:22 PM »

A perspective:

https://www.christiancourier.com/articles/1125-do-genesis-10-and-11-conflict-with-reference-to-the-languages-in-the-earth

Thanks Magic.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2013, 10:27:29 AM »

Well, Anfauglir, if you think learning Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic will give you a kick start towards faith in God I sincerely promise to pay for lessons.

So there are NO differences between the original versions of scripture, and (let's say) a Chinese Bible?  Not one single nuance that will be lost?  Any Bible, in any translation, is just as good as any other?
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?