Author Topic: An atheist faces death  (Read 228 times)

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +681/-28
  • Karma mooch
An atheist faces death
« on: June 19, 2013, 08:27:31 PM »
http://rudepundit.blogspot.com/2013/06/a-brief-vignette-from-possible-death-i.html
All over our Facebook pages, people are saying that they may be atheists, but they are praying for Mary. I will not join them. This foxhole won't make me a believer. I want her to get better. I want that liver to be found. I want time and occurrence to converge to make it all possible. I don't want magic for her. I want medicine.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +186/-8
Re: An atheist faces death
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 09:10:22 PM »
So our health care system in this country has now been reduced to begging for body parts online and in the media.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +772/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 09:27:12 PM »
No, our healthcare system has been reduced to everyone trying to make lots of money off of everyone else. If someone happens to get well in the meantime, that's almost a bonus. Unless they have a 500K bill for a burst appendix. Then they might as well be dead.

I of course wish this woman well, but a donated liver means someone else has died, most likely in an accident or murder. Tragedy shifted elsewhere isn't necessarily an improvement.

Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +266/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 09:43:01 PM »
I of course wish this woman well, but a donated liver means someone else has died, most likely in an accident or murder. Tragedy shifted elsewhere isn't necessarily an improvement.

There have actually been some advances in liver transplantation in the last few years.  It's now possible to have a live-donor transplant whereby part of a liver is donated.  If all goes well, within a few weeks both livers grow back to full size.  Very cool stuff.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +186/-8
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 09:48:58 PM »

There have actually been some advances in liver transplantation in the last few years.  It's now possible to have a live-donor transplant whereby part of a liver is donated.  If all goes well, within a few weeks both livers grow back to full size.  Very cool stuff.
Like starfish.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!